Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Now a "Top Member"

An interesting find

I use my 5th wheel as an extra bedroom when my kids are in town. Well, they showed up for the 4th of July, and we got the camper ready. When we turned on the AC, it sounded horrible. It worked, but sounded bad, and you could see it shaking and vibrating from the ground. When I finally got the time to look at it (in the evening when it cooled off), I popped the cover off, and there were 2 wasp nests, and one huge dirt dauber nest on the fan itself. The dirt dauber next was causing the fan to turn out of balance. It's all cleaned up now, Mama dirt dauber is a bit angry, and the AC works and sounds like it should.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #2

Thanks i m checking mine today for those critters
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
I use my 5th wheel as an extra bedroom when my kids are in town. Well, they showed up for the 4th of July, and we got the camper ready. When we turned on the AC, it sounded horrible. It worked, but sounded bad, and you could see it shaking and vibrating from the ground. When I finally got the time to look at it (in the evening when it cooled off), I popped the cover off, and there were 2 wasp nests, and one huge dirt dauber nest on the fan itself. The dirt dauber next was causing the fan to turn out of balance. It's all cleaned up now, Mama dirt dauber is a bit angry, and the AC works and sounds like it should.
Had the same exact problem in Jan while we were in FL with our 08 Flagstaff 831RLSS. Temp 90° outside, turn AC on and horrible vibration. Climbed on top, removed cover and dirt dauber nest completely covered one blade on fan. Removed blade, cleaned and replaced. One of the first things I did on our 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS was to remove the cover and put screenwire over the entire space between the compressor and evaporator coil. Did the same on the refrig. door and the water heater door.