Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Paul & Sheri

Analog TV?

This time last year we bought our 2013 model Rockwood. We almost always dry camp so we rarely use the Toshiba TV that came with it . The two times we camped last year with power we had cable and the tv worked well. While de-winterizing tonight I turned on the tv on the antenna and received one station with about 20 local digital broadcasts, I turns out the one is an analog re-broadcast. The tv is analog! When did they stop making them, 2007? It must have been in the Rockwood warehouse for years and I got the lucky tv. I guess I'll pick up a converter.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

seriously?!?! post your model number, that is hard to believe. Could it maybe be dual band and there is a setting wrapped deep inside a menu that you have to have 11 year old tech support to find? Not that I ever have to use my 11 year old tech support...

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Engineer of Crazy Train

I am also curious on this. Did do a programming search. Digital is not like analog and the TV literally has to seach for the channels and put them in memory. You can't just enter 12-1 and expect to get it. Also, make sure your antenna is pointing towards the towers. Most of my channels at home are North and slightly east of me. I point it north and fine tune it when I select the channel.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
seriously?!?! post your model number, that is hard to believe. Could it maybe be dual band and there is a setting wrapped deep inside a menu that you have to have 11 year old tech support to find? Not that I ever have to use my 11 year old tech support...
The model is Toshiba 32C11OU1 and it didn't come up on a search. I'd have better luck spotting it on Antiques Roadshow I think.
2004 T@B T-16
Old 05-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I am also curious on this. Did do a programming search. Digital is not like analog and the TV literally has to seach for the channels and put them in memory. You can't just enter 12-1 and expect to get it. Also, make sure your antenna is pointing towards the towers. Most of my channels at home are North and slightly east of me. I point it north and fine tune it when I select the channel.
In this area I'm right on top of the local transmitters (10 milea away) and the manual includes no instructions to "search" as I have for my small 12v tv. It says to tune to local channels. The manual doesn't mention either Digital or Ananlog anyplace. At first I thought it might not have a receiver until it did pick up one channel that I googled and found is an analog re-broadcast in this area.
2004 T@B T-16
Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01 View Post

The model is Toshiba 32C11OU1 and it didn't come up on a search. I'd have better luck spotting it on Antiques Roadshow I think.
The O oh is a 0 zero.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/m...eeText=3050766
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #7

Just did a quick search and it appears your tv is digital and 720P and therefore should get over the air signals. You will have to do a digital search before you will be able to see them.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
William

First off, ensure that your antenna booster button is pressed, in which you should see a light indicating it is on. Then you should go into the menu of your TV and ensure that "Antenna" is selected rather than cable. Next, there should be on option to search channels. Your TV will scan the local area and store all digital and analog channels it can receive via the antenna. If this doesn't work, you should check all of your cable connections from your antenna to your TV.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
Anacortesians

If your TV is analog, it wouldn't be able to receive ANY over-the-air channels, as far as I know, since the entire TV industry went digital about 5 years ago. The $60 converter boxes are the only way to get signals that a pure analog set can read.

We have an '02 rig, which pre-dates all that digital crap. At home we're on Comcast and have the set-top boxes and a DVR which convert the digital signals to show on our 4:3 analog TV sets. Comcast has its own unique digitisation which, as far as I know, isn't compatible with any digitally compliant TV set in the world.

We don't watch TV that much, except for news, Public TV and whatever channel carries Coronation Street (Vancouver BC's Channel 2 in our area). DW is a "Corrie" addict as we're from that part of England originally.

We took the bedroom TV out of the RV. We don't even watch TV in the bedroom at home, so why would we want it in the RV?

Most CGs we frequent have cable, and we have a cable connection in one of the cargo compartments. We found, last season, that Comcast has screwed up many CG cable offerings because their current, relatively new system requires one of their converters, along with one of their remote controls. The CG has to allow the customer to take a Comcast set-top converter and a Comcast remote into their RV for the duration of their stay. What a PITA, not to mention the potential loss if a visitor forgets to return the hardware to the office when they leave.

We've decided that live TV isn't worth the the grief, at least until the cable companies get a grip on the problems, so we only use the TV set to watch DVD's. We get our news from radio (steam-powered, of course).
Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
The O oh is a 0 zero.

LCD TV 32C110U1 Support | Toshiba
Thanks guys, with the zero correction I found a much more detailed manual than what came with the unit. It appears that it is a dual receiver and I had it set on analog. (I had no idea there was such a thing) After making a dual setting and search I now see the the 1 analog and 25 digital mixed together. Then I set it to digital only.

thanks again
2004 T@B T-16
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I turned on the tv on the antenna and received one station with about 20 local digital broadcasts, I turns out the one is an analog re-broadcast. The tv is analog!
Your TV does have a ATSC tuner built-in to receive digital over the air channels.

I'm not sure I understand this. What are you referring to for the "20 local digital broadcasts"? Are you referring to when you did the station search you found 1 analog and 20 digital stations......or something else?

As others pointed out, once you raise the antenna first, you need to turn on the antenna booster (or make sure it is on), which should be a button you press on a wallplate. This wallplate can be hidden (mine is in a cabinet by the television).

I took this from the owners manual that ChooChooMan posted:

When you first turn on or reset the TV, the Initial
Setup window will appear.
1無 In the Menu Language field, press t or u to
select your preferred language.
2無 Press t or u to select Time Zone Setup and set
your desired time zone with t or u
and press .
3無 Next, the Location setting window will appear.
For normal home use, press t or u to select
Home and press .
4無 Next, ANT/CABLE In setup window will appear.
Press t or u to select the input source (Cable or
Antenna) for the ANT/CABLE input on the TV.
5無 If you select Antenna, the Channel Tuning Mode
setup window will appear. To tune only digital
channels, select Digital. To tune digital channels
preferentially over analog when entering channel
number directly, select Auto. For normal tuning,
select Standard. Press to continue to Auto
Tuning.
6無 Press to select Start Scan and continue with
the Auto Tuning.
You can stop the Initial Setup with . However if
you do not finish the entire Initial Setup process, by
pressing POWER / prior to step 5 above, the Initial Setup
window will appear every time you turn on the TV.

I'm thinking there may be something amiss in step 5 above, where your digital stations may not be getting stored in the way your remote control allows you to scan thru them with the channel up/down buttons.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks guys, with the zero correction I found a much more detailed manual than what came with the unit. It appears that it is a dual receiver and I had it set on analog. (I had no idea there was such a thing) After making a dual setting and search I now see the the 1 analog and 25 digital mixed together. Then I set it to digital only.

thanks again
Ok, I see you got it fixed while I was typing the post above. Just ignore it all now. Glad it's fixed.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote