Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #1

Another A/C question

Hi everyone! I have a 2010 Catalina 32bhds camper,(it's my work camper and the one I live in 95% of my time), the factory A/C unit the motor fried so I replaced it with an advent unit. My question is if I turn the thermostat below 72 it will freeze up every few hours. Working out in the west Texas heat it would be nice to be able to turn it down to 68 so it's nice and cool after my 12-16hr days. Any ideas or possible solutions to this problem? Oh and yes I have checked the filter and it does it with the filter on the unit or off the unit!

Thank you in advance!!
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #2

Really?!?!? No one has ideas or suggestions on this?!?! That really surprises me out of this forum!!!
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #3

I think you are asking too much of your AC. It is often said on here that you shouldn't set the stat much below 10' lower than the outdoor air temp.
I just added a 2nd 15k unit on my 40'fiver and I camp in central Nebraska(high humidity, and typical 90's in summer.)
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #4

You can try to reduce the amount of heat coming into the unit by covering/insulating the larger windows in your unit. Lowes sells rolls of insulating roll fabric similar to the reflective accordion type sunscreens you would use on your cars windshield. I live in south Texas and found it helped keep our unit much cooler. Btw our high tomorrow will be 104! HTH

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #5

Sounds to me like the AC don't have enough freon in it. What happens is when the compressor runs the pressure is lowered on the low side (inlet) and raised on the high side (outlet) if the low side gets too low it will freeze the moisture in the air around the fins and tubing. I have seen this happen many times on autos and home AC units. Have an AC person throw the gauges on it and run it full blast to check this out. Even a new unit can have a small leak maybe at an 'O' ring etc.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote