Old 09-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
jsk

Another Dometic AC Acting Up

Thought I would spend some time in camper today so I went out and turned the AC on. I went out and came back in to find it not running and the breaker tripped in the camper. Reset breaker and it came back on and ran normal. I went outside and after a few minutes noticed the compressor was running but fan was not. Before I could get back in it quit and breaker tripped again. So I started troubleshooting. At the tsat I turn fan on low and hi and it runs. I switch tstat to cool and turn it down to 65. The unit comes on and fan is on hi and runs fine. I then increase tstat temp to about what temp is in camper. The fan tries to go from hi speed to low speed but it never does. I spin the squirrel cage fan slightly and it picks up speed and runs fine. I drop temp on tsat back to 60 and the fan speed goes from lo to hi without a problem.

I am able to duplicate fan speed problem almost every time when gong from hi to lo. The unit runs and cools fine otherwise. I am thinking either motor or control board. What is the best way to troubleshoot? Did the breaker trip because the compressor was running without the fan for a period of time? I did look at my PI and it said L1 was 24 amps at that time.

The unit is in sig with Dometic 15k AC. Any help is appreciated.

2012 F350 CC SRW 6.7
2012 Sabre 34-REQS-6

Old 09-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
jsk

Can the capacitor be ruled out since the fan and compressor cycle?

2012 F350 CC SRW 6.7
2012 Sabre 34-REQS-6

Old 09-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
Head Rambler

You said that you spun the fan by hand and it started fine. That leads me to think either low speed windings or capacitor. Since it starts on hi speed fine every time, I suspect low speed windings.

It's pretty cheap to change the cap out, so it may be worth the time and expense to do that.

Tags
dometic