Old 05-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Another Fridge Question

Read through the discussion on fridges and have another question. This is our first trip with a 2010 215 Gazelle and our first trailer experience. We are learning everything. Yesterday afternoon the fridge "check" light started blinking and we discovered there was only 9.6v at the battery so put the generator on to charge the battery. All was fine until midnight last night when the "check" light came on again. I turned off the fridge waiting until morning. At that time I checked and we had 11.1v at the battery. Does anyone know why the fridge would make like it's not getting the required 12v to run the gas? I put the generator back on this morning and charged to 12.2v and all seems to be running fine. This is our first week out and we are learning as we go. Thanks for you help.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultz51 View Post
Read through the discussion on fridges and have another question. This is our first trip with a 2010 215 Gazelle and our first trailer experience. We are learning everything. Yesterday afternoon the fridge "check" light started blinking and we discovered there was only 9.6v at the battery so put the generator on to charge the battery. All was fine until midnight last night when the "check" light came on again. I turned off the fridge waiting until morning. At that time I checked and we had 11.1v at the battery. Does anyone know why the fridge would make like it's not getting the required 12v to run the gas? I put the generator back on this morning and charged to 12.2v and all seems to be running fine. This is our first week out and we are learning as we go. Thanks for you help.
The battery most likely settled out over night after there were no draws on it.
Which brought it to the 11.1
The fridge needs a constant good 12v all the time to keep running properly.

normal appliance amp draws

Old 05-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

I read through the fridge instructions and it says that fridge will work down to 9.6v. Not sure if that is realistic based on real world use. The first few days the fridge did work fine below 12v but kicked off when the battery reached 9.6v or there abouts.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Denver, CO

A lead acid battery is essentially dead once it gets to 12 volts, and it is very bad to leave them there for any length of time. If this has been done over time in a 2010, then the battery may not be capable of holding a charge and you may need to replace it.

They typical operating range (unloaded and not charging) is 12.8 to 12.4 volts which is about 50% of capacity. If a battery is depleted past the 12.4 volt point and left there it will sulfate and lose capacity.

The typical converter in most campers will charge and hold a battery at 13.7 ish volts when it is fully charged and being charged and that voltage should drop back to 12.8 at rest.

I'm guessing that you need to consider replacing that battery and keep closer tabs on your voltage and charging to try to keep it between 12.4 and 12.8 volts whenever possible.

If you frequently use a generator to charge your battery, you may want to look into an external 3 stage charger that can charge quickly on the generator, which the camper's convertor may not be doing.

Just some ideas
Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #5

Thank you for those comments. I charged the battery this morning using the 12v outlet on my Honda 1000 for about 1 1/2 hours. (Should it have been charged through the main power lead to the tt to get a better charge or not?) The charge got as high as 12.8v while hooked up and charging but backed off to 12.14v after disconnecting and sitting for a few minutes. We just went on a 5 hours hike and returned to the trailer. The only thing running was the fridge. The voltage now reads 11.64v. It is looking more and more like the June 2011 battery just will not charge or hold the charge to adequate levels. Time to find a Costco and their marine battery.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #6

The 12v outlet on you Honda is NOT a battery charger. You need to use a real battery charger and plug it to the 120v outlet.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #7

Thank you. I did not know that. Will use the main power line from now on.