Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
Oh I agree with that what is junk is the crap Dometic and Norcold are pushing off on the RV community. Back when I was way younger my folks had a camper whose frig was tough as nails, always cold. As long as the modern consumer continues to accept what they put out it won't get any better.
I'm not convinced that it's the units [Yet]but more the install . like i mentioned mine is/has worked great for the last 15 months and see no reason for that to change . my pop-up truck camper had a dometic 3 way and still running today it's a 94 . just worked on a unit yesterday that was 35 yrs old and just needed the burner cleaned . i do think as these companies move there operations to Mexico we will see more and more problems. make them cheaper and charge more for them . but today i see more install problems , lack of caring at the factory just slap them in there and move on to the next .

Old 07-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
Oh I agree with that what is junk is the crap Dometic and Norcold are pushing off on the RV community. Back when I was way younger my folks had a camper whose frig was tough as nails, always cold. As long as the modern consumer continues to accept what they put out it won't get any better.
We're in our 4th trailer... have had a mix of Dometic and Norcold refrigerators... have had no trouble with any of them.

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 85 / 2017 = 14; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #13

This is my third fridge one Norcold, one Amish cooling unit, and in the new travel trailer a domestic. All have performed like they should, with that said I have paid close attention to keep good airflow and the chimney clean.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #14

I have the same problem with our Dometic "blue light special". When I am at home on shore power the thing behaves flawlessly on gas or electric. Yes, I know that sounds crazy! But, when I am at a campground and on shore power the temps swing up and down between 32 and 42. Seems to behave somewhat better on gas but when going down the road the temps steadily drop until the freezer is thawing and the frig is 55 or so.

We now just keep the important things on ice and suffer through. I don't believe I will get any warranty relief since it seems to be normal when just parked in a non camping environment. Go Figure.

Anyway... it is so helpful (sarcasm here) to have others post that they have had a dometic for 10 years and never had a problem.

I actually had good luck with my last RV. Frig operated just fine. But it was not a "blue light special".

I would like to hear from someone with one of these blue light refers that has had a good experience.
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #15

I changed the light to white but it started life as a blue light fridge. I have had good luck with mine. I have a fridge thermometer and do see swings but I attribute that to the position (for easy viewing) the thermometer sits on the shelf (close to door opening). the actual contents seem to remain cold.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
Old 07-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #16

Hey SeaDog,

You didn't say if your fridge stays cold while on the road when running on propane. Mine does for 50 miles or so but then starts to climb steadily.

Spent some quality time in Idaho in May. Caught some great salmon out of the Clearwater near Orofino. My wife was born in Grangeville. You are lucky to live in Idaho.

regards
Old 07-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #17

Just spoke to another owner, bought a new 5er and have had it in to the dealer twice for... yep refrigerator. And scheduled to take it back again. Theirs the frig is good and cold but the freeze will thaw ice cream. Oh yeah, its a Dometic.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Hey SeaDog,

You didn't say if your fridge stays cold while on the road when running on propane. Mine does for 50 miles or so but then starts to climb steadily.

Spent some quality time in Idaho in May. Caught some great salmon out of the Clearwater near Orofino. My wife was born in Grangeville. You are lucky to live in Idaho.

regards
Longest stretch in miles has been about 350 miles and it stayed cold, if it did warm up it wasn't enough that I noticed it
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
Old 07-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #19
Head Rambler

Just wondering out loud here....

I wonder if it's a placement issue for the people that are seeing the fridges warm up. Maybe air blowing into the vents as you're going down the road, cooling down the burner flue, or affecting the flame, causing the fridge to lose a lot of cooling efficiency?

It could also be incorrect drilling of the burner orifice on the units that have problems when sitting still.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #20

Just as an experiment, I covered part of the vent area with masking tape to see if it would help but it seemed to make things worse. Love my TT but hate my fridge. Before our NW trip in May I had it at the house for a week plugged into shore power and the temps stayed very stable. For some reason, it just won't do that while we are camping even when we are very careful not to open the door much.
On my fridge there are three settings and the medium does the best, varying between about 32 and 42. When I set to high cool it goes below freezing quickly and if I set it to low cool it stays above 40.