Old 08-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

Another question on debugging cable TV issues

I know there are a ton of threads about cable problems but I haven't seen one with this issue.

Started with the typical "I can't get any stations when hooked up to cable".

First step in debugging was to run the cable inside and directly hook to the TV. I scanned for stations and a bunch were found. I couldn't actually *see* anything on those stations because I didn't have a cable box and the campground "didn't have any left" but that's another story...

So, I hooked my coax to the outside input and brought the other end inside to see if I could figure out which connection was which with my ohm meter in buzz mode. I couldn't get any buzz from either jack on the wall plate so I opened it up.

The back of the wall plate has a circuit board with three coax cables connected and the other jack just has a cable running into it. Picture below.

From a bit of online research, the middle wire was supposed to be from the cable input so I disconnected it and buzzed it and indeed, it was. However, if I hooked that back up to the middle connector and put a short cable on the other side (that would go to the TV), I got a buzz not only on the pin but also on the nut on the cable. That is, with one lead on the pin on one end of the cable, I got a beep on both the pin *and* the nut on the cable coming out of the wall plate. It seems as if the wall plate board is shorting the connection - or am I missing something?

If I move the cable from the center connector on the circuit board to the upper jack (satellite), and put the jumper on the other side of that jack, I get a proper connection (just the pin buzzes).

Does any of this make any sense? Oh by the way, I *did* get a few stations from the antenna when I tried that - before I took everything apart and started debugging.

So, I'm just not sure how the circuit board is supposed to work. I know the booster switch switches between cable and antenna but it seems weird to get a beep on both the pin and nut. The third coax is presumably for the outside TV connection. I don't really care about that since I don't have an outside TV and probably won't ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2695.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	116763  

Old 08-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhudg View Post
I know there are a ton of threads about cable problems but I haven't seen one with this issue.

Started with the typical "I can't get any stations when hooked up to cable".

First step in debugging was to run the cable inside and directly hook to the TV. I scanned for stations and a bunch were found. I couldn't actually *see* anything on those stations because I didn't have a cable box and the campground "didn't have any left" but that's another story...

So, I hooked my coax to the outside input and brought the other end inside to see if I could figure out which connection was which with my ohm meter in buzz mode. I couldn't get any buzz from either jack on the wall plate so I opened it up.

The back of the wall plate has a circuit board with three coax cables connected and the other jack just has a cable running into it. Picture below.

From a bit of online research, the middle wire was supposed to be from the cable input so I disconnected it and buzzed it and indeed, it was. However, if I hooked that back up to the middle connector and put a short cable on the other side (that would go to the TV), I got a buzz not only on the pin but also on the nut on the cable. That is, with one lead on the pin on one end of the cable, I got a beep on both the pin *and* the nut on the cable coming out of the wall plate. It seems as if the wall plate board is shorting the connection - or am I missing something?

If I move the cable from the center connector on the circuit board to the upper jack (satellite), and put the jumper on the other side of that jack, I get a proper connection (just the pin buzzes).

Does any of this make any sense? Oh by the way, I *did* get a few stations from the antenna when I tried that - before I took everything apart and started debugging.

So, I'm just not sure how the circuit board is supposed to work. I know the booster switch switches between cable and antenna but it seems weird to get a beep on both the pin and nut. The third coax is presumably for the outside TV connection. I don't really care about that since I don't have an outside TV and probably won't ever.
If you look carefully on the circuit board where the ports connect their function is generally stamped. A few manufactures make them and they don't always orient up the same way. Mine has a small stamp on the green circuit board that says ANT, SAT and CAB and the center port on mine is the ANT which is connected to the powered switch. That absolutely would cause an issue.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #3

Was the antenna amplifier powered on when you were trying to test?
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable