Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #1

Antenna connection

I've had this camper for just over a year now but up until now, never tried to hook up a external antenna to it. So the question is: what is the different between "TV cable & Satellite" hook-up connections? I connected a external antenna to the satellite side which is providing a signal to the main TV but not the bedroom TV. Normally the TV is connected inside to the TV connection, going to the roof antenna and provides a signal to both TV's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right side.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	220390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	220391  
Bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:33 AM   #2

The roof antenna cable is handled one of a couple ways. Usually it is attached to the Wall jack that has your power amplifier on it where it then is split and sent to both your TV locations. The Sat and cable hookup generally are not split, just tied into the main TV cable. I believe they make splitters that can do that but they are a little pricey and not installed that way unless you're talking about a higher cost RV.

All of the above is to the best of my knowledge and experience and even then is one of those "USUALLY" cases. The easiest way to know for sure is to remove the wall plate where you main TV cable plugs in and see what kind of split you have going on there. Often they are labeled and makes getting a better picture of the situation pretty easy.

Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
Site Team

Gus is mostly correct.
The Sat cable goes straight from the 'Sat' F connector on the outside to the 'Sat' F connector on the inside.
Normally the 'Cable' coax goes from the 'Cable' F connector on the outside to the power injector/wall plate on the inside and it gets distributed to the different tv's through there when the power injector is turned off.
The 'Antenna' coax goes from the rooftop antenna to the power injector/wallplate and gets distributed to the different tv's like the cable, but it also allows the power injector to send power up the coax to the antenna amplifier.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #4

Thanks everyone

First off, thanks for your thoughts on this issue. So as you can see from the pictures, I hooked up my external antenna to the Satellite "F" connection on the outside and the TV to the "AUX/SAT" connection on the inside. What would happen if I connect to the antenna to the "Cable" connection on the outside and the "TV" connection on the inside? I will try that today as soon as it stops rain.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
First off, thanks for your thoughts on this issue. So as you can see from the pictures, I hooked up my external antenna to the Satellite "F" connection on the outside and the TV to the "AUX/SAT" connection on the inside. What would happen if I connect to the antenna to the "Cable" connection on the outside and the "TV" connection on the inside? I will try that today as soon as it stops rain.
Do you not have an antenna on the roof of your R/V?

I'm wondering why you are using an external antenna?

If you are using a simple roof top, household antenna on some sort of mast, it may not perform as well as most amplified antennas that come on R/Vs, the exception being some of the non-powered omni-directional round ones.

If you are using an amplified bow-tie antenna, you have to take into consideration how the power is fed to that antenna.

If you hook the external antenna to the cable port, the signal 'may' go to other tvs provided you have the R/Vs roof top antenna power supply button OFF (if equipped) that is located on the wall plate pictured. The button not only turns the R/Vs roof top antenna power supply on and of but is also an electronic A/B switch. It selects the R/Vs roof top antenna when on and cable when off.

There are lots of variables and until we know what exactly you have and what you are trying to do, we are all just guessing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
What would happen if I connect to the antenna to the "Cable" connection on the outside and the "TV" connection on the inside?
Hopefully it will route the external antenna signal to all the tv's, as long as the power injector is off.

I haven't tried it, but if the external antenna you're trying is an amplified antenna, AND it takes 12 volts, you may be able to turn the power injector in the RV on and have it power the antenna amplifier and not use the power supply that comes with the antenna. Proceed with caution, because like I said, I've never tried it.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Hopefully it will route the external antenna signal to all the tv's, as long as the power injector is off.

I haven't tried it, but if the external antenna you're trying is an amplified antenna, AND it takes 12 volts, you may be able to turn the power injector in the RV on and have it power the antenna amplifier and not use the power supply that comes with the antenna. Proceed with caution, because like I said, I've never tried it.
The wall plate power supply doesn't send power to the cable port, only the roof top antenna.

As I mentioned earlier, the wall plate power button is ALSO an A/B switch and when you have the button on, the coax connection is made to the R/V roof via an electronic switch and allows insertion of the power for the roof top antenna.

When the button at the wall plate is off, the internal A/B switch selects the cable coax and NO power is inserted to that cable. (the power inserter is off anyway at that point)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinegardCableDiagram.jpg
Views:	1846
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	220423   Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard_Page_1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	220424   Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard_Page_2.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	220425   Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard_02.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	220426  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #8

Antenna help

First off, thanks again for all of the info. So to clear things up:
1. I am trying to get better TV reception than what the factory antenna provides.
2. I would like to get reception on both of the TV, not just the main/living room.
3. I am trying to better understand how most/my camper is wired/setup.
Yes, I do have a factory installed omni directional antenna. It does ok as far as picking up local channels but I think that it could be better. That is why I am trying an external antenna. We tend to camp in more remote type places. So I was reaching out others that might have a better understanding of most camper TV/antenna setups goes. I did find out that they have the separate satellite lines due to the need of having a receiver box for each TV.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #9

If your added antenna is not powered you can get signal to the TV's by selecting "ANT" as input to the TV's (run scan) with the antenna connected to the park cable port. As said, turn off booster panel. If the added antenna needs power it can be dealt with using a simple (one) A/B switch input to the booster panel. To also maintain a park cable coax input capability (from rv park) 2 A/B switches would do that. This would be but one down and dirty cheap way.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna