Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

Antenna "Rearranged"

Ok guy's. I have a question. I have a motorhome and recently "rearranged" the wingard antenna. I did not notice my indiscretion until we arrived at the campsite. That being said, and having 2 grandson's, I had to do something. being that this is planet earth. I was able to find a wallyworld. There I purchased a Mahau
Leaf ultimate indoor antenna . It is supposed to be the best in class. For reception. My question (finally) it states it recives any where ominadirectional and it is amplified. Why do I have to do all kinds of moves to get a few channels? When I use the amplifier I loose the channels? When I do get a channel, it is clear.think it will work better outside. Ideas?? Working on trying to put a sattitilitte receiver together. :
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

OK, first you need to realize that the wall plate for the Winegard is also a power supply for the antenna amp on the roof antenna.

You can't use the power supply when using the Leaf Antenna.

So, to just watch TV, you need to hook the antenna right to the back of the TV.

If you want to use the distribution system of the RV to watch more than one TV, connect that antenna to the outside "park cable" connector and turn off the booster amplifier (wall plate light OFF).

OR

Remove the wall plate from the wall and disconnect the "CABLE" connector (don't let it fall inside) and attach the Leaf connector to where the cable was. Make sure the wall plate is OFF.

You will still need to "search" for over the air channels on each TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard wall plate rear.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	55316  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 20 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #3

antenna

Lou,
Thanks for the quick reply. Perhaps i wasn't clear about the amplifier. The leaf has a USB cable that attaches between the tv and the antenna. It allows me to plug it in the back of the tv or a cube that plugs into 110 volts to "amplifiy" the antenna. When I place the USB cable in place, I loose the picture. Remove the short cable and I regain the picture. It is working backward. This antenna is supposed to be the best in class for amplified. I'm at a loss.
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #4

Could it be that you have a TV or Radio station tower near you? If your antenna is already picking up a very strong station either FM, or TV, the boost added when you power up the amplifier sends the TV into overload. Do you get any channels when you power up the booster or are they all dead or very weak.

Did you try plugging in the USB to a power cube? Maybe something wrong with the USB power coming from the TV.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rv View Post
Lou,
Thanks for the quick reply. Perhaps i wasn't clear about the amplifier. The leaf has a USB cable that attaches between the tv and the antenna. It allows me to plug it in the back of the tv or a cube that plugs into 110 volts to "amplifiy" the antenna. When I place the USB cable in place, I loose the picture. Remove the short cable and I regain the picture. It is working backward. This antenna is supposed to be the best in class for amplified. I'm at a loss.
OK, I think I now what is going on. Perhaps your TV is like mine and the USB port is an "proprietary data only" port used by the manufacturer to program the TV's software and not a "true" USB port with 5 volts available.

Check your TV's documentation to see what that port is used for.

Like Evereddie said, try the cube before you declare your antenna DOA.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote