Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

We have an android box with kodi. We are on our third one this year. They work great for a couple weeks and then quit. Fortunately they were all within the return period for Amazon prime. Turns out you need a vpn or they get wise. Technically streaming the shows with kodi exodus is considered pirating per my online research. We now have a vpn but are only a week into this device.

A few words of wisdom.... clear your cache periodically. Whatever you do, do not hit "delete data". It will get rid of kodi, exodus, and everything else. Getting it back on is next to impossible.

For the question about what do you use: we stream at home using our wireless internet. Too many devices on and it starts to get hung up. This leads me to believe streaming at campground will not work well.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkguy60 View Post
Obviously you know a lot about this subject. I know nearly nothing, so, may I ask, is there a good devise that you are familiar with that will provide TV & Internet that works great at a fair price?
Not sure who the comment was towards. I only know what I learned since I bought the box and began to look further into it. I do not do flee bay, and never even heard of the smart stream or mqx box until last Sunday.

Todd seems to be a good source of information. I have seen boxes online for any where from 30 to the 300 for the smart stream. Many seem vague in what you get, others say you do not get a ton of the free add ons unless you have a user name and password. Others say they are jail broken get all the free stuff I get on the stream smart. Many of them (almost all I found online) seem to be as is, no refunds and no Support other than public forums and YouTube sites.

300 is obviously much more than the 50 boxes can be purchased for. Sure 50 is better than 300. But I will have it paid back in 2.5 months of NOT having dish anymore.

As I said it was pretty straight forward with the installation but we did have a few issues/questions that the smart stream quickly (with in 5 minutes at 9pm)answered.

I will say that I will probably get another box in the future. I will be willing to try the cheaper boxes that Todd has if I can become confident that I will not need to be a complete genius to make them work and I get what I get on the smart stream.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #23

I came up with a pretty good solution for this. I signed up for DIRECTV now 100 channels for 35 a month. If you have ATT you get unlimited streaming for it and doesn't go against cap. It only works when streaming from phone app so I do a screen share from phone to appletv I have setup in trailer. I also put a cheap wireless router in trailer to put the devices on same network. The 35 a month is promotional plan but will not increase as long as you keep subscription.
david.wilson.182940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Yeah we thought of dropping to lower plans. But it always seems the channels we want end up outside the plan... We have a no frills plan, no movies no premium other than the discovery channels (about all I watch) and the Disney stuff for the little one.

We got some discovery channels but needed to upgrade... But still did not get Disney.. That was another upgrade. Next thing you know we are at. 100 a month.. Then last week they raise it another 10to charge for local channels. That snapped the twig.

We looked at the roku and similar but none seem to be a good fit for us. I do wish, and maybe one day will get it, a reasonable price for what I WANT to watch. I have over 400 channels I pay for and only watch 20. I will gladly pay a price for maybe 10 to 30 bucks for a pick what you want style channel line up.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

The 100 a month is only for one TV and the DVR box. I am sure we would save by cutting the dvr box because I think it is and extra 10 or 20 a month.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #26

Unfortunately don't think you will ever see bundling disappear even with streaming as the channels you watch support the less watched. If it wasn't for bundle I think overall it might end up being more expensive. Mind you when I say DIRECTV NOW it is a steaming only service and it is a flat 35 including tax and no fees. Just looked at the site and the offer I got in on is gone. I got the 100 for 35 which is normally 60. They do have a plan for 35 but it is 60 channels. https://directvnow.com/thegoodstuff?...he-full-lineup
Old 03-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

I am not so sure. More and more are cutting the cord. As the millenials get older they will drive the market. I think the roku and Amazon style TV will grow pushing out the cable market. YouTube I read is starting a pay per channel style system. I think the networks are getting tighter on keeping what ad revenue there is and will find their own way to push out the cable companies. I can already watch some for free on their web page. Others require a small fee.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #28

Oh I agree cable companies will become internet service providers only at some point. But I think even the streaming services will bundle. If not they will try and charge 5 to 10 bucks a channel and that will add up quick. Especially when net neutrality was shot down and ISP can now charge services to prioritize its traffic. This runs up their cost hence I am afraid the prices won't change much. These companies are going to find ways to get the money. I work for a isp/cable company and know video is bleeding but data is going to boom to support the streaming of it.

Sorry if a little off topic here
Old 03-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

No no worries. I am always looking for a better way...

My theory is a Google or Amazon will come in and blow away the market like they did with prime. I am not opposed to paying for a service that is reasonable in price.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB