Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Someone with an easy start can you explain how it is any different than a time delay to the compressor? Does it do more than that?

The time delay to kick on a compressor is cheap. I get that easy start provides a nice package and instructions but $300 mark up seems extreme to me. Just curious if there is more to them than the compressor delay.

I have no doubt they work. I am only asking about additional functionality.
I'm a big fan of explanatory scenarios.

Ever try to push a stalled car? Those first few feet from a stop are brutal, but once you get moving it's not as hard. The compressor on your A/C has the same issue. When the thermostat kicks it on, full electrical power is applied all at once and the rotor in the compressor has to go from zero to full-bore in the blink of an eye. That takes a big surge of current at first, but much less once it's up to speed. Capacitors help some by storing a jolt of reserve juice for start-up, but there's still a big demand for power up front.
As far as a time delay relay goes, if you have central air in your home you may have noticed that the condenser unit outside kicks on a few seconds before the blower in the house starts. This is what time delay is, and the purpose is obviously to spread the demand on your house's power grid. RV air conditioners usually turn everything on at once, but it is simple job to wire in an aftermarket timer to the blower circuit that will delay its start by a few seconds, thus reducing the initial draw a bit.
The EasyStart goes a step further by throttling back the initial power to the compressor thus allowing it to spin up more slowly at first. Think turning up a dimmer knob rather than flipping a switch. This significantly lowers the initial current required thus allowing the use of a smaller generator.

Hope this made a little sense!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post

Ever try to push a stalled car? Those first few feet from a stop are brutal, but once you get moving it's not as hard. The compressor on your A/C has the same issue. When the thermostat kicks it on, full electrical power is applied all at once and the rotor in the compressor has to go from zero to full-bore in the blink of an eye. That takes a big surge of current at first, but much less once it's up to speed. Capacitors help some by storing a jolt of reserve juice for start-up, but there's still a big demand for power up front.
As far as a time delay relay goes, if you have central air in your home you may have noticed that the condenser unit outside kicks on a few seconds before the blower in the house starts. This is what time delay is, and the purpose is obviously to spread the demand on your house's power grid. RV air conditioners usually turn everything on at once, but it is simple job to wire in an aftermarket timer to the blower circuit that will delay its start by a few seconds, thus reducing the initial draw a bit.
The EasyStart goes a step further by throttling back the initial power to the compressor thus allowing it to spin up more slowly at first. Think turning up a dimmer knob rather than flipping a switch. This significantly lowers the initial current required thus allowing the use of a smaller generator.

Yes thanks. I read the previous link and watched install videos. They simply what you said but never really come out and say it. Dimmer is what I was thinking so you explination helped to seal it up in my head.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post

Great Explanation!
Old 05-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #24

I installed one in our Rockwood 2109S last summer.

I also installed a simple Time Delay Relay I bought a Granger so that my AC compressor kicks on about 5 seconds before my fan. I took about an hour to do both. I now can run my AC on a 15AMP circuit and also on a 2000W Champion generator.

Also, FR Forum members get a discount-I believe 10 or 15% when you buy one.

2017 Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite
Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #25

How would this work at higher altitudes? A/C works ok, but not at higher altitudes above
4200 ft or so.
kgriff5667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #26

We live at 4500 feet and travel to 6000+ feet with no issues on AC performance.

9.5 year old FR Cherokee 295 WP 32' toyhauler
2013 Ford F250 SD CC 4X4 4.30 gears
Tuned-- engine, music, and exhaust,
bpadamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpadamson View Post
Nice, this may just solve the problem, thanks
kgriff5667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #28

I added a time delay to both the high and low side and the supco capacitor less $35 and about 30 minutes work. I run a 3300 peak inverter generator an starts perfectly every time. Goes back on eco mode shortly after AC is running.
ardakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #29

Matteo - the engineer in the sailboat video has an ID on this and other forums. Not sure if he is still monitoring it, but you could try PMing user "Micro-Air" for additional info. There are a number of posts by him on the Airstream forum and lots of Airstream folks who use the Easy-Start. Also, if you do buy one, AIRSTREAM may work to get a discount.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:52 PM   #30

Another install video ... and $25 discount

Another install video of Micro-Air units on an older Class A (2 ACs running concurrently on a 30 amp hookup):

$25 OFF! Micro-Air EasyStart Discount Code RVGEEKS
BjceyzF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:07 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpadamson View Post
It won't affect your A/C's performance, but your generator is another story. High altitudes significantly reduce a generator's output.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote