Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #21

When I got my Champion 2000w I got Home Depot to match Amazon’s price. If I had needed to return it I had 90 days and a local store to which to take it. No shipping for a return.

I am satisfied with the Champion. It ran my home tv and lights a few days ago when the electricity was out like a champ!

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #22

I've got the Champion 3100 now and love it. Electric and remote start, runs the AC and is super quiet.
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #23
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
Regarding what you can run:

Correct, running AC and microwave at the same time requires a "larger" generator. But this is a minor inconvenience. Shut off the AC just long enough to heat something in the microwave and then back to AC.

Everything depends on how much power you are drawing. In addition to my Georgetown, I have a single axle Lance trailer. For the trailer I carry a 2kw generator. It is just enough output to run AC, LED lights, and the 12v TV. And that is after the engine is fully warmed up. 2kw is just barely enough, which is what I like, because the generator plus fuel weighs only ~58 pounds.

If I had a double axle trailer, I'd have a larger AC, and the 2kw might not carry the load of AC, lights, and TV.

I previously had a 30 foot trailer. For that unit I carried a 3.5kw Generac generator. Great piece of equipment. Quietest in industry (at the time) and ran all night (9 hours) on a tank of fuel. I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night to refill the tank.
Awesome, thanks for the rundown!
onecrazyfoo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #24
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I own the HF Predator 3500 inverter generator and will tell you that it is a very quiet, powerful, and reliable generator. It is very economical to operate, too. It will handle the A/C and microwave in my TT at the same time if you switch it off the Eco mode. It comes with a 90 day warranty and you can purchase a 1 year warranty for about $70 or a 2 year warranty for $125. It weighs in at 99# and has its own wheels and 2 very sturdy handles. I am pushing 66 YO and I can handle moving it into and out of my truck bed by myself. It has a built in meter to keep track of Volts, Amps and Hours of use. It also has an electric start. I would by no means consider it to be a throw away piece of equipment. I have a friend that uses one for the last year or so and has had no issues. I think the 212cc engine is a Chinese knockoff of the Honda engine. Swampy
Thanks for your review of the HF generator. Man, tough decisions on what to get?
onecrazyfoo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #25
Just as confused as you

Champion has a direct plug for the 30A RV (TT-30R). The other two look as though you need a 30A twist-lock to TT-30R adapter to plug your trailer in.

I have a Champion 3500-4000 watt open frame that works great and the 30A cord for my TT plugs right in.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #26
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Champion Dual Fuel Structured Compare Table

I've been looking at upgrading from the super reliable extended run version of my Champion 3100 Inverter to one of the newer Dual Fuel models. I've watched, I think, all the YouTube videos on those models. For awhile it was confusing to me as to what exactly is the difference between the three models that Champion sells. The best source of info is of course Champions own website. You have to look at their compare tool and also the front page spec summary to get all the data. Then you end up trying to tie down what exactly is the same and what's different. Somethings are obvious others aren't. Which brings us to the attached table I built. It has all the data restructured from the Champion site plus I added a couple of lines based on info I learned from actual users and youtubes.

Hope you and others find this useful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Champion Dual Fuel Compare.pdf (486.9 KB, 48 views)
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
I have a good friend who bought 2 of the Chamnpions on line from Cabellas. Neither one worked and Cabellas would not take them back because they "had gasoline in them." She has had one repaired but has had no luck getting the second one to run.
Has she contacted Champion customer support?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #28
jkoenig24

One thing you NEVER hear about is DUTY CYCLE. Honda & Yamaha inverter generators can be run virtually 24/7 as long as you perform the recommended scheduled maintenance. I paid up front for a Honda Handi 3k model back in 2010. It's still going strong and is as reliable as when it was new. You WON'T get that kind of service or longevity from any of the "bargain" brands.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #29
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
One thing you NEVER hear about is DUTY CYCLE. Honda & Yamaha inverter generators can be run virtually 24/7 as long as you perform the recommended scheduled maintenance. I paid up front for a Honda Handi 3k model back in 2010. It's still going strong and is as reliable as when it was new. You WON'T get that kind of service or longevity from any of the "bargain" brands.
Wow! Another unsubstantiated claim. Ok, here's mine. I've run my Champion 3100 with it's extended run gas tank for 7/24 for several days when we lost power in Houston's hurricane floods.No probs at all. I do follow the maint schedule and change oil frequently.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #30

Just something to think about re: propane gennys...

When running on gasoline, the oil gets contaminated by the hydrocarbons in gas. Propane, not so much. Also, the pistons and plugs on propane never get fouled. Basically, propane has much less wear on the internal parts than gas - hence, longer life.

Only downside is that propane has less BTUs, i.e., less fuel density and therefore not as much power. That translates to slightly less rated watts of power.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #31

buy from Costco.

I am a refund clerk at Costco and have been doing it for 13yrs. They will return it and give you WHAT YOU PAID. the returned item does have a expected use and in some cases time restraints. We know that some members will abuse the return policy and I have seen returns denied. Costco does go to extremes to make members happy and will do what is possible to make that happen.

I have no personal experience with the generators but looking seriously at the Champion and the Generac.

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine2019 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to MendocinoExplorer Send a message via Skype™ to MendocinoExplorer
I also have the Predator 3500. I have it in a box in the truck bed. Runs at 58 dB.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #33

There was a recall not to long ago I think it was on the Champion generators not having the outlet wired correctly.If you get one check it with a meter prior to plugging into RV.It was first noticed when a RV'er plugged in his Progressive industries EMS unit in the generator and it showed a fault.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator