Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Anyone have experience with these Generators?

So I'm shopping for a generator to power my 29ft Evo. Mainly just for AC and a TV, the batteries handle everything else for a weekend. I definitely want a quiet invertor generator, but don't want to shell out the insane money for the Honda's and don't want to have to buy two separate 2000 watt ones. Does anyone have experience with either of the Costco ones or harbor freight one below? I'm leaning towards Costco cause I could return it if it ever broke. The harbor freight one has steller reviews though.

https://m.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-F...100284958.html

https://m.costco.com/Firman-2900W-Ru...100367440.html

https://m.harborfreight.com/3500-wat...tor-63584.html
onecrazyfoo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #2

Another member and evo owner just bought the 3400 version of champion. Have another friend that has the 2800 with no issues.

Harbor freight unit has no repair centers or parts available. Some members here say it is just like another brand but I don’t remember which one. Other than that, it is disposable.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
Site Team

All 3 would be good choices.

Of course, Champion has the best reputation and best customer support, than the other two.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
All 3 would be good choices.

Of course, Champion has the best reputation and best customer support, than the other two.
X2

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Thanks, I'm finding of shying away from the harbor freight just cause you couldn't return. Do you guys know if Costco would accept return of a generator? I've never even heard of Firman brand generators. It sure would be nice to have a remote start unit, and not even have to get out of bed to turn it on or off
Old 02-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #6

I returned a Honeywell genny to Costco after 3 months and got the current price back even though my receipt showed I had paid less.

I wonder if anyone has tried to return pre soiled diapers...

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:23 AM   #7

Why buy if you intend to return? Please don't take advantage of Costco or Sam's Club generous return policies as it drives prices up for everyone.

Get a Champion, it is a good generator and their customer support is incredible. I got a high altitude jet for my generator just by filling out the warranty card and mailing it. Don't know if that is standard policy but it was a very pleasant surprise.

The harbor freight generator is also a fine product. I've had numerous China made generators over the years and the worst generator failed on me after 7 years of hard use and I'm not 100% sure I can blame it (and not me) for not replacing the fuel lines every 4-5 years. A fuel line either split or came loose, leaked fuel, and caused my Boliy generator to explode. Not fun.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:45 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post

I wonder if anyone has tried to return pre soiled diapers...
There was a pic of a woman at Costco, returning a dried out Christmas tree.
They took and refunded her money.
A Costco employee told me that I wouldn't believe what people return all the time.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #9
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Why buy if you intend to return? Please don't take advantage of Costco or Sam's Club generous return policies as it drives prices up for everyone.

Get a Champion, it is a good generator and their customer support is incredible. I got a high altitude jet for my generator just by filling out the warranty card and mailing it. Don't know if that is standard policy but it was a very pleasant surprise.

The harbor freight generator is also a fine product. I've had numerous China made generators over the years and the worst generator failed on me after 7 years of hard use and I'm not 100% sure I can blame it (and not me) for not replacing the fuel lines every 4-5 years. A fuel line either split or came loose, leaked fuel, and caused my Boliy generator to explode. Not fun.
Oh trust me, I don't take advantage of Costco's return policy like many other scumbags do. I worked for them for a few years while in collage and absolutely love the company and will be a customer for life. But if my generator fails within what I believe is a reasonable amount of time, I will definitely return. I do the same for printers, ours break every freaking year even though we barely use it.

I saw some ridiculous crap being returned while working there. People would return cakes and pies with just one peice remaining claiming it wasn't good, or 15 year old mattresses, or my favorite was a super old gigantic projector tv, that cost $5k originally, which he got the full amount back. Crap like that is why they started limiting the return policy for big expensive electronics...too much abuse.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #10
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
There was a pic of a woman at Costco, returning a dried out Christmas tree.
They took and refunded her money.
A Costco employee told me that I wouldn't believe what people return all the time.
Yeah I saw that ordeal. High class scumbag there. She will get what's coming to her...
Old 02-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #11
Dahagen

I have a good friend who bought 2 of the Chamnpions on line from Cabellas. Neither one worked and Cabellas would not take them back because they "had gasoline in them." She has had one repaired but has had no luck getting the second one to run.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #12
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
I have a good friend who bought 2 of the Chamnpions on line from Cabellas. Neither one worked and Cabellas would not take them back because they "had gasoline in them." She has had one repaired but has had no luck getting the second one to run.
See, more of a reason to buy from a place with a great return policy!!
Old 02-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #13

I have the Champion 3100w w/ remote start. The remote start is a great option to have. Very convenient to start/stop the genny from inside your RV.

Before the Champion I had a Harbor freight 2200w which gave me no problems. As for me having the remote start is a great convenience plus Champion has a good reputation for taking care of their customers.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #14

I have a champion 3100 inverter generator. Have had it 4 years with occasional use. Work is as it should. Run s my Coleman 15k air conditioner with no problem.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #15

The Firman works great. I've seen it in action.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:07 PM   #16

Single though of caution: Know the weight of the generator plus a full load of fuel. Can you (do you really want to) lift that thing in and out all the time?

Buy a generator just big enough for your needs. Larger only means heavier.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #17
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
Single though of caution: Know the weight of the generator plus a full load of fuel. Can you (do you really want to) lift that thing in and out all the time?

Buy a generator just big enough for your needs. Larger only means heavier.
Yes, very good point. That's why I'm just shooting for a 3000 to 3500 watt one. Enough juice to run the AC plus TV and some lights really. I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to run the microwave at the same time as the AC right?
Old 02-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #18

I recently purchased the Champion 3400W dual fuel, and LOVE it.
it runs the 15K Btus AC on propane with no problems what so ever!!!
I had a Onan 400W before and this one is less noisy.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #19

Regarding what you can run:

Correct, running AC and microwave at the same time requires a "larger" generator. But this is a minor inconvenience. Shut off the AC just long enough to heat something in the microwave and then back to AC.

Everything depends on how much power you are drawing. In addition to my Georgetown, I have a single axle Lance trailer. For the trailer I carry a 2kw generator. It is just enough output to run AC, LED lights, and the 12v TV. And that is after the engine is fully warmed up. 2kw is just barely enough, which is what I like, because the generator plus fuel weighs only ~58 pounds.

If I had a double axle trailer, I'd have a larger AC, and the 2kw might not carry the load of AC, lights, and TV.

I previously had a 30 foot trailer. For that unit I carried a 3.5kw Generac generator. Great piece of equipment. Quietest in industry (at the time) and ran all night (9 hours) on a tank of fuel. I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night to refill the tank.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #20

Thumbs up HF Predator 3500 inverter generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Another member and evo owner just bought the 3400 version of champion. Have another friend that has the 2800 with no issues.

Harbor freight unit has no repair centers or parts available. Some members here say it is just like another brand but I don’t remember which one. Other than that, it is disposable.
I own the HF Predator 3500 inverter generator and will tell you that it is a very quiet, powerful, and reliable generator. It is very economical to operate, too. It will handle the A/C and microwave in my TT at the same time if you switch it off the Eco mode. It comes with a 90 day warranty and you can purchase a 1 year warranty for about $70 or a 2 year warranty for $125. It weighs in at 99# and has its own wheels and 2 very sturdy handles. I am pushing 66 YO and I can handle moving it into and out of my truck bed by myself. It has a built in meter to keep track of Volts, Amps and Hours of use. It also has an electric start. I would by no means consider it to be a throw away piece of equipment. I have a friend that uses one for the last year or so and has had no issues. I think the 212cc engine is a Chinese knockoff of the Honda engine. Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator