Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #1

APC UPS for TT

Ok..I have seen everyone speaking to the nightmares of power at campgrounds. I have seen inline surge protectors and devices that allow you to "monitor" the power coming into the camper. From my investigation, all I have seen is the ability for the products to cut the power to the camper in the event of a issue. I would like to take this a step further and install a UPS under one of the seats of the dinette in my TT. This will "condition" the power for a clean output, AND keep the power going until for a short period of time. This should allow for a graceful shutdown of key components in the TT. I know that I will need a 30A/120V device. I see some devices from APC that have an output of about 3000 watts.

I am looking at something similar to this:

Amazon.com: APC Smart-UPS SMT3000 2700W/3000VA 120V LCD UPS System: Electronics

Has anyone done this?

Thanks...

-Bill Thomas
Palomino Solaire 317 BHSK
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #2

I don't think you want to go that route, unless you can find a bigger one. That one, at about 22 amps, is not going to meet your needs. If you do find a bigger one, it's going to cost too much.

Consider the Frank's Voltage Booster or TRC's Voltage Regulator.

(Don't use an iPhone/iPad to look at the Franks site since it uses Flash and you won't see much of the page.)

(If you use the TRC regulator, you also need a separate Surge Guard to go with it, whereas the Franks is all-in-one.)

Oh, and there are no "key components" in an RV that require shutdown unless you are adding them.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote