Old 07-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Question Back up camera, is it worth it?

Good Morning All, I am considering a Furrion backup camera for my 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8285IKWS 5th wheel RV. Do any of you have any experience with it (Model FOS48TA-BL). My RV came with the mounting bracket and prewired. I've talked with one other person who doesn't think a backup camera helps him when backing. I am interested in other experiences. It is an expensive piece of tech so want to be sure it is something that is worthwhile. Please share your experiences.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #2

DW and I both have phones, when we get to the spot I get out and check it out. I get back in and DW calls me and we put the phones on speaker. Works for us, a walkie talkie is what some people use. I have a backup camera and I never turn it on. But a lot of people have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #3

I have one. I can't answer because I THINK mine is maladjusted. When driving down the road, I can't see any car coming up behind me until it just about kisses my bumper. When backing up, I can sorta see stuff, better than nothing, but I have too little experience to comment. It stopped working (unpaired) on way home from dealer, and I did not get it paired (fixed) until the last time I backed it. It would do better if it were pointed to get a wider perspective......which I assume (?) it can do.

But looking in both mirrors, trying to find DW, and looking at this thing.......has proven hard. Not to mention, I can't find an acceptable spot to mount it. The GPS takes up middle of dash.

I honestly don't know what they cost, so not sure it's 'worth it'. I just checked that box as an option when I ordered the trailer. The total bottom line is all I paid attention to.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:31 PM   #4

We have one and never use it, fun to watch people driving behind you or double checking the bikes but that about it. I'd spend the money on beer.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:18 PM   #5

I have one on my 335ds and I wouldn't be without it. At first I was disappointed that it really doesn't show me the traffic behind me, but then I began to understand that it shows me my rear bumper and anything within 4 of 5 feet as I back up. If I can't see anything but the pavement...all is well. Pointing down gives me assurance to back up easily and safetly and the downward view allows me to gauge distance effectively. I absolutely love it.

It is not a rear view mirror...

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #6

I bought a wireless camera from Tadi brothers that works with my Garmin RV nav system. I can aim it where I want it. I use it most for changing lanes on the highway.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #7

Mine paid for itself the first time I used it. Had to back down my street and hit the driveway at a slight angle with no spotter. Went in the first time without having to get out or pull forward and try again and put it right up to within six inches of the garage. The IR on the Furion units works pretty well too in the event I ever have to move in the dark. I have mine set to where I can just see the top of the spare tire cover. No, you can't see really far behind you but, along with decent tow mirrors, you have fewer blind spots when changing lanes.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
Old Camping Squid

I say get one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy12345 View Post
Good Morning All, I am considering a Furrion backup camera for my 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8285IKWS 5th wheel RV. Do any of you have any experience with it (Model FOS48TA-BL). My RV came with the mounting bracket and prewired. I've talked with one other person who doesn't think a backup camera helps him when backing. I am interested in other experiences. It is an expensive piece of tech so want to be sure it is something that is worthwhile. Please share your experiences.
Greetings, I can only speak of the backup cameras in general, I have a TT not a bus. I love them, my two cars have them from factory, I installed one on my truck ( tow vehicle ) and added a second hookup for a license plate camera on the camper. My wife still has her input when we park it, but the camera shows me what is back there and how close it is. My 06 F150 is pretty high and on more than one occasion I have seen kids/people in it I could not see in the mirrors.
Bottom line... YES get it. If for no other reason than safety. But I think you will use it often. Good luck with whatever you decide, Happy camping.
2005 Club Car President
2002 Ezgo Limo, 2001 Ezgo
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:56 AM   #9
jeff

I do have a back up camera and like it. I don't use it in the traditional manner of being attached to the back of the TT because the "view" is of the TT turning and is in constant motion which is not real helpful to me at all.
But, what I do with camera since it is WiFi and has about 75-90 ft range is, I made a stake with a steel plate on it for the magnetic mount of the camera. I place the camera at the back of the site( or my driveway) and watch the trailer come into the parking spot and the camera is stationary. Works way better than my DW standing in the back of the site waving her hands and/or not standing in the view of the rear view mirrors. You might relate to that! For me this takes care of the blind spot backing up and is worth the price of admission( RVS-83111)for the camera. If you go for a wireless, make certain it does not get interferrence from bluetooth. In the GMCs you can't shut off the bluetooth. This one you wouldn't want to use driving down the road to see who's in back of you. Backing up yes, as an "electric rear view mirror" no. Camera is 9v. battery
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #10

Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
Back up Camera probably would not have helped....lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13906702_1226427344058069_8284138485557137281_n.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	116109  

2014 - 38 nights/3500 mi.; 2015 - 66 nights/6260 mi.; 2016 - 44 nights/6106 mi.
2017 - 5 nights/447 mi.; 26 nights booked
jtownstumpjumper is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera