Old 07-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #1

Backup Camera Question

Hi everybody, new to the forum with a 2017 Coachmen Catalina. I"m planning to install a backup camera, maybe a Furrion, and have a question or two. The camper came prewired for a camera and I'm wondering if the plug is switched or not and is the plug always provided with power?
Also which of the Furrion cameras would be best or doesn't it matter that much?
Thanks

Eddie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #2

the prewired unit should be for the furioun and it should be wired to be hot when your running lights are on. I am not positive about the difference in the furioun models but I believe the "back up only" one has less range and poor picture compared to the observation model.

Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
RiderBloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
Hi everybody, new to the forum with a 2017 Coachmen Catalina. I"m planning to install a backup camera, maybe a Furrion, and have a question or two. The camper came prewired for a camera and I'm wondering if the plug is switched or not and is the plug always provided with power?

Also which of the Furrion cameras would be best or doesn't it matter that much?

Thanks

You may want to look at the reviews (on Youtube) of the HaloView cameras. I just installed one after my older camera failed. The HaloViews with the very long signal range are excellent. The colour on mine is brilliant and it only now and then stuttered. They have the fittings for the Furrion preinstalled hardware. I run mine off the Furrion wiring which is always on when the running lights are on.
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

I just installed a furrion on my rig that came prewired for some other brand.

This is the camera I purchased.

https://www.forestriverelectronics.c.../fos43tasf.htm

Great camera, great price about 1.5hr install.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
Retired Panpsychist

+1 on the Haloview MC7108! The camera sends a really a stunning image to the 7" monitor (1024 x 600 pixels). On our rig, the camera is about 35-40' from the truck's dash and we have a solid 3 out of 4 possible bars of signal strength. Check out YouTube for more info and reviews.

For Furrion-ready TTs, Haloview also sells a $10 conversion kit (highly recommended) that includes a special mounting bracket with holes that match up to the ones left after removing the Furrion housing. Also included is a pigtail cable that converts the trailer's Furrion power plug to the Haloview plug.

Installation

To install, you remove the entire arched Furrion housing by unscrewing the four mounting screws (they will be used later to mount the conversion bracket). Then peel the housing's gasket off the trailer. Clean the area to remove leftover sealant. You're now ready to mount the conversion bracket.

I made the choice to mount the Haloview camera assembly on the conversion mounting bracket before I attached it to the TT. Note that there is a rubber hole plug type grommet on the camera's cable that will be inserted into the wire access hole left by the Furrion's pre-wiring.

The mounting bracket/camera assembly can be temporarily secured to the TT using one mounting screw while you connect the cables. Connect the pigtail to the Furrion power plug and wrap the connection with electrical tape. Feed the pigtail back into the wall. Connect and tape the other end of the pigtail to the camera's cable and feed its connection into the wall. This takes a bit of wrangling. Finish the wiring by inserting the grommet into the wiring hole. Note that the grommet is a bit large for the hole so, again, a bit of wrangling it required.

Lastly, apply some sealant on the back of the bracket and screw it into the holes left by the Furrion housing. The Furrion screws are reused for this purpose.

The result is a beautiful HD image of the real estate and roadway behind my trailer. I have seen the images from several other backup cameras and, to my eyes, the Haloview image seems far superior.

Please note that it took me about 2.5 hours to accomplish this install but I move rather slowly with these sort of things to purposely avoid any lasting evidence of my ignorance.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, HD Towing Pkg (53A)
Theo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input and replies about the cameras. After some research I've decided to go with the Haloview and have the bracket and wire adapters coming in also. Sounds pretty straight forward for the installation.
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #7

Furrion Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
They have the fittings for the Furrion preinstalled hardware. I run mine off the Furrion wiring which is always on when the running lights are on.
Do you have an pics of your install? Are you talking about just the wiring or can the camera mount to what is already on the back? I was looking to do the same, the Furrion is just horrible.

Thanks,
Scott
sgwood24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #8

The Haloview MC7108 just came in along with the optional bracket to fit it on the Furrion screw holes present on the camper. The bracket also comes with a short pigtail adapter that connects the power to the camera and pre wired travel trailer. The display has a power plug that goes into the cigarette lighter and also comes with a harness to wire it into the tow vehicle for multiple cameras. So far it looks like a fairly simple and straight forward install. I'll work on the installation this weekend and try to take a few pictures as I go.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #9

Thanks for the info, just saw the detailed instructions above also. Just ordered mine, how long did your take to get in? I ordered direct from halo.
sgwood24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #10
RiderBloke

Backup Camera Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwood24 View Post
Do you have an pics of your install? Are you talking about just the wiring or can the camera mount to what is already on the back? I was looking to do the same, the Furrion is just horrible.

Thanks,

Scott

When you get your camera system you will find all the bits and pieces and the instructions there. It will be obvious what goes where and what stays in the box when you are finished - I had a few items left over. Have some sealant ready for the instal - I had some Dekalin product but also used Lexel.
Good luck with it.

RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote