Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

bad radio reception.

Our new Sabre 34tbok has terrible radio reception. I thought the antenna must not be hooked up, but just pulled the Genesis unit and it's fine there. I tuned to a local station that comes in great on any other radio, even another hour or so away, and it actually gets better when I unplug the antenna lead?
Any ideas? I really don't want to pull the roof antenna to check connection there, but maybe need to?

Joel
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #2

First thought would be a short in the antenna cable that grounds the signal.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

Since it is new, get with the dealer. Maybe the manufacturer put a nail through the cable.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Always Learning

A handful of people are using a trick that Barryd(and some numbers) and RodeoGeorge are using and tapping into the rooftop antenna to get better radio reception. Try a search for their posts...
Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #5

Buy an inexpensive fender antenna and plug into the radio, holding the antenna up in the air. If the reception is good, you know you have a problem with the Sabre's antenna.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

Thanks everyone! Connections seem fine both behind the unit and up top. The wire moves freely thru the wall space so I don't think it's broken or stapled thru. When I hold the antenna connection, at the plug point, it comes in great! So all I got to do us open the basement hatch and have a kid sit in there holding it when we want the radio. ......

Guess I'll call my dealer and see what they think. I'll try a cheap antenna as suggested too, but am sure that'll work fine. I didn't cut the dicor and pull the whole connection out up top, just looked in after removing the antenna mast itself. Looked fine. Maybe it is a bad wire? Does anyone know if the antenna wire pulls our from the top without cutting the dicor? That'd be fairly easy, but fishing back down not so much. Just gotta tie a pull string on down below first I guess.

Thanks again
Old 06-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #7

Do you have LED lights inside? If so, try turning them all off and see if reception gets better. My 2014 trailer has LEDs and when I turn some of them on, the reception gets bad. Turn them off and it clears up.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
Do you have LED lights inside? If so, try turning them all off and see if reception gets better. My 2014 trailer has LEDs and when I turn some of them on, the reception gets bad. Turn them off and it clears up.
Yes I do. That works with the tv, but radio doesn't seem affected by them.
Thank you though
Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I have a 2014 Rockwood 2306 w/ LED's... same thing happens to me. No worries by day... bummer at night. Have you found the problem?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
MC9

I have a 2013 Cedar Creek, so it might be different. On the audio menu of the radio there is a choice to turn on the electronic antenna. Might help?
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #11

KDHfan, check my post of tv reception. If enough of us call FR maybe they'll get the idea there's a problem.
Bob
Old 06-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooiebob View Post
KDHfan, check my post of tv reception. If enough of us call FR maybe they'll get the idea there's a problem.
Bob
I will. Anyone have a contact name/number? We might as well all call the same person.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #13

Don't have the number handy, but I talked to Roger in the warranty dept. I had originally called them about a possible skylight recall but I was ok on that. Try to get you the number tomorrow but I found it on this forum somewhere.
Bob
Old 06-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #14

Just a suggested idea, take a bare wire, connect it to metal on the back of the radio. The other end, connect to metal side (ground). If reception gets better, you have a bad or floating ground on it.
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #15

i just went into this same problem with my Cherokee.My problem is where the antenna plugs into the stereo unit itself.If i wiggle the lead it gets better.It seems in my case the automotive type antenna end that slides into the stereo is not a tight fit.Not sure how im gonna deal with it yet.One end is the automotive type antenna end and the other end of the cable is the female screw on coaxle type that screws into a splitter .Unless i can find someone to make me up a new one i think its gonna be tricky to find one to buy.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #16

SJones42, is the main problem with the GT stereo unit or the tv. The way I understand the post its a problem with the stereo. I just tried my tv reception problem going thru the stereo and when I turn on an led light the signal on the tv still goes out.
Stereo seems to function great.
Bob
Old 07-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #17

Seems those of us with genesis Radios are having similar problems,(2014 PUMA 30RKSS) the sound is great playing a CD, but I only get one radio station and that is static at best. The subwoofer shakes the entire cabinet which is kinda of annoying s well. Dealer said pull the radio out check the connections, known of which were tight. I've improved the TV reception greatly and now I get 2 static filled radio stations! I was considering an aftermarket antenna, or a longer antenna to see if it makes a diff. By the way the old trailer(2003 Sandpiper) I pulled in radio from Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Youngstown and Toronto! with the manufactures antenna. Currently parked in Andover, Ohio

Dave
2014 Puma RKSS
15 nites in 2013
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
Always Learning

Apparently I never used the FM feature of my radio before the other day. I'd read about other people having issues, but didn't try it myself. I'm in the Baltimore/DC area - the radio stations come in strong. Of my 3 "favorite" stations, only one in the came in without static. Sitting in my house with my bookshelf radio and in my car/truck, I get these stations just fine.

Guess I'm going to go seriously looking for the cord that RodeoGeorge suggested. Unfortunately, the one place I found - it was $2 for the cord and $10 for shipping.