Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #1

basic power questions

Hello,
I'll be using a Wildwood 261BHXL coming up soon and I had a quick question perhaps someone could answer for me. I will be I guess what is called dry camping. No power or water available at the camp site.

My question is:
In a stock trailer will the microwave run off the battery or must it be plugged into an external power source? I'm not sure if they come with inverters as a standard option and would that inverter have the wattage to run the microwave.

Thanks a bunch.

-Cablet
Cablet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cablet View Post
Hello,
I'll be using a Wildwood 261BHXL coming up soon and I had a quick question perhaps someone could answer for me. I will be I guess what is called dry camping. No power or water available at the camp site.

My question is:
In a stock trailer will the microwave run off the battery or must it be plugged into an external power source?
must use shore power or generator.

I'm not sure if they come with inverters as a standard option and would that inverter have the wattage to run the microwave.
inverters are not a standard option. you would need a big inverter and a whole bank of batteries. some microwaves use more power than a lot of a/c's, to run.

Thanks a bunch.

-Cablet
get a generator if you have to use the microwave.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #3

Gotta figure that a 1000W microwave at 110V would draw about 9A on high. On a battery, that would be pretty rough.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #4

No inverter in the Wildwood. But then, do you really need a microwave? You have a stove and oven for cooking or heating water.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6 View Post
Gotta figure that a 1000W microwave at 110V would draw about 9A on high. On a battery, that would be pretty rough.
To get 1000 watts an inverter would have to draw (1000 watts divided by 12 volts = ) over 83 amps from your battery. Even in the 4 or 5 minutes it would run to boil water; that would kill your batteries's capacity even if it was FULL to start.

High amp draws to terrible things to deep cycle batteries. They are designed internally to give up their current slowly over a long period of time. Thick plates make it hard to release electrons packed deep in the lead. Much over 20 amps (per battery) and the best deep discharge battery will poop out. I attached a graph showing that reduction on capacity based on current production rate.

If you are going to use a microwave or other high draw item off an inverter, it (the inverter) must be sized to produce not only the running wattage, but the peak starting wattage. I also needs to produce the proper wave form for the Magnatron. Many (including my Magic Chef) require a "Pure Sine" wave form and not the "Modified Sine" produced by cheaper units.

You also need at least 4 12 volt deep cycle batteries to spread the current load over as many batteries as possible so they don't drop below the inverter's drop out voltage in the middle of your popcorn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve vs Discharge Rate.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	16412  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
Site Team

Hi Cablet, as already stated the short answer to "can I run my microwave on battery" is
NO.

Also for your consideration- Just in case you hadn't thought of it- none of your
120v outlets will work. No TV, No coffee percolator, No blow drier, no air conditioner.
We think "dry camping" or camping off the grid on occasion is fun. Our trailers are
sometimes referred to as "self contained". That's true for the most part.

Your water pump and lights and fans are battery powered so they will work.
Lights are the big battery hog so if you are going to be there more than a day or 2
max you should keep lights to bare minimum. Use flashlights or camp lanterns or
even a candle but watch open flames!

I don't know if you are a coffee drinker or not. If you need your daily caffeine fix
as much as I do, get a stove top percolator from the camping isle at Wal-mart or
any dept store that sells camping stuff.
Plan meals that don't require the microwave. We grill outside a lot. Self lighting
charcoal is a wonderful luxury that I treat myself to when we are on the road!

Welcome to the forums and
Happy Camping!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

We boondock a lot and the microwave only runs when our 3500 watt Yamaha generator does.

Even with 150 AH dual battery and a 2400 watt inverter, we can't get our microwave to work on inverter. Also as Dan said; coffee is by the blue "Cowboy" percolator.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote