Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #41

Running the bathroom exhaust fan

NEVER run it when you have the toilet flush valve open!, you WILL draw fumes from the black tank!
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #42

When the temps rise outside or the mrs. Cooks I run both bath fans and the exhaust fan over the oven. I find that it helps to cool our FW.
Duck8792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #43
KnP

I have 2 fans on my camper. I run 1 at the time and leave 1 vent open and off. Why you my ask? Creates a current of air from Fwd to Aft or Aft to Fwd depending which fan is on. With all windows closed, both fans creates a vacuum and air hardly moves. Open/Crack a window and air will rush from that window to the fans.

So by opening, closing, running some fans and windows you can create the draft of air that you will like to feel.

Must definitely, the main reason is to draw moisture, specialy when using the shower. Have used it when even flushing the toilet. As long you have a window open, where the air can come in, the sewage smell does not show. All windows, doors and vents closed, 1 Fan running,, flush the toilet and you will be vacuuming the sewage aroma.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #44

I agree with only a few others. My fan is not reversible, had no idea some were. So what we have is an exhaust fan which evacuates the moist air when we shower and for a few minutes after. Will also help to evacuate after the wife drops a load. Mine doesn't stink!
bhess5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #45

I have a whole house fan in my home. My Fantastic fan is like a mini whole house fan for my trailer.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I have a whole house fan in my home. My Fantastic fan is like a mini whole house fan for my trailer.
My fan is 10' off the floor. How to even open the thing? Vengeance 31V is tall.
Climbing on the potty is not an option. An auto opening unit would be cool. Plan to explore that option.
We only run ours when showering to pull out moisture, and during potty breaks...
I'm of the opinion that the standard fan motor is a cheap thing that has built-in failure mode. I do not include Fantastic Fans in that category. Fantastic fans are nice items.
JRBME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Am I missing something? My fan pulls the air from inside and blows it OUT.

That's exactly my thinking. I leave mine on almost all the time.
The fan does pull the air out from the inside of the RV, but the air that is removed from the RV has to be replaced by air coming in from outside via any cracks around windows, doors or underbelly as the RV is not airtight. If it were airtight and the fan was removing the air from inside with nothing to replace it, it would become a vacuum inside.

The air coming in from the outside when the fan is pulling the air out would hold moisture in moisture laden climates, but surely not in Arizona. Same applies to AC in a home. One does not run the AC in the house and open windows for fresh air. It defeats the AC's ability to remove moisture from the air as it cools it.
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
NEVER run it when you have the toilet flush valve open!, you WILL draw fumes from the black tank!
That's right. I learned that lesson the hard way. It's not just an urban myth. Nothing to sniff at.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #49

I run ours when I first start the air-conditioner to help suck the hot air out of the camper and only when we are showering
Jamesjfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #50

We always run the fan in the bathroom when anyone of us is using the toilet, and keep the door to the bathroom closed. We have never had a situation when the "sent", aka "scent", from the black water holding tank has intruded.

After using the shower, we turn on the fan to help clear the bathroom of moisture, and we even leave the door open while I shave. My wife seems to find me sexier while I am draped in a bath towel with shaving cream all over my face. I think she has a crush on Santa Claus, or she needs a new eyeglass prescription.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #51

Mine are like a box of chocolates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Only run it when DW uses the toilet. I don't need it because my stuff doesn't stink.

I knew there was a reason I liked this forum.
djglover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #52

phillyg are you really from Philly, or are you a poser from South Jersey?

If you are from South Jersey, then you must run the fan.

If you are from Philly - truly - then you are excused.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #53

Wife says I'm Soooooo bad, she makes me turn it on 5 minutes "BEFORE" I go in there.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #54
Harvey J 😊

RV bathroom fan use

We found it works really well, when it’s hot.....drawing heat out of RV. (When your “ rustic camping”....no power sufficient..to run AC) Our 2019 Rockwood Ultra Lite..has power vent in bath.Previous TT had a power vent in rear bedroom...that was great. Wherever, it is..it’s a plus😊
2019 Rockwood Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #55
Harvey J 😊

Model info

2019 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608SB ( rear bedroom slideout..closet) Large Slideout for front kitchen, and living area. Our 1st new trailer..and a first for slideouts😊. ROOM.
2019 Rockwood Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #56
Newbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
We generally ONLY run ours while we are showering - to remove the moisture from the room. As soon as we get out of the shower and dry off as we leave the bathroom, we turn the vent fan off.

Running it all time (especially here in Texas with our heat) would basically defeat the air conditioners by pulling all the cold air out, probably faster than the A/C units can put it in.

You especially don't want to have that vent fan running when you flush the toilet - otherwise it will pull the black-tank smells into the trailer.
Pretty sure the fan draws air from inside out as you just stated so running the fan shouldn't draw in black tank smells.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:38 PM   #57

Bathroom fan

One of my 'setting up' jobs is to turn on the light and open the fan until it turns on. It is open enough to save the other person in the camper and closed enough to keep out all but heavy rains. I don't know about other campers, but our fan only runs when the light is on. We have 8 foot ceilings and we are both about 5' 2". DH made a stick to turn on the fan in the bathroom and the fan/air conditioner in the main room.
bhunt2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #58

Run bathroom vent fan

I can not reach mine. So, no.
smittyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #59

I removed mine due to leaking, so never. Might put a new one in someday. Low on my to do list.
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #60

A fo-paw regarding fan height...not really 10'...(you knew)...but it is 8'. Trailer is a bit over 11' at the vent, from the ground...which means nothing.
Looking at a Maxxair 4500k. Seems to have a remote and powered hatch? That would solve problems.
JRBME is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, fan, roo