Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #1

Battery charging while operating inverter

This might be one of those dumb questions, but here goes.

I have a 1000 watt inverter that runs to a single independent outlet in my TT. When my solar needs help from my generator i plug the generator into the trailer's 30 amp connection and let the converter charge the batteries. This has led to some complications. (See my earlier thread about a fried inverter.)

So im thinking about buying a portable charger and powering that with the generator. My concern is whether there woluld be a problem with charging the batteries that way while operating the inverter to power my TV and satellite system. In other words, power in from the charger at the same time as power goes out through the inverter.

I guess what i'm wondering is whether the charging output would overload the inverter in some way.
Realrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #2

If the charger you buy does a good job of generating a DC output (without so much ripple that the battery can't smooth it out), then what you propose should work just fine.

But then what you did with plugging your 30-amp TT connector into the generator should have worked fine too. It sounds like this may be a generator problem or an inverter problem. It's not clear to me that the charger you buy is going to produce any better DC than your converter does, so either one may fry the inverter.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery