Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #1

Exclamation Battery disconnect switch assembly

Hi RVers,
I noticed my battery disconnect switch was acting strange and found that it was coming apart. I removed it from the panel, and it fell apart on me. Anyone know if the two metal u-shaped clips are positioned correctly on the plastic piece? They were loose in the switch and I don't know how they were originally positioned. Did I get it right? I'm still scratching my head on how this disconnect switch functions internally.

Anyone taken one of these things apart before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pollak_sw.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	65717  
Old 11-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
B47

Are you sure that's a battery disconnect switch? It doesn't look like one I have ever switch. Looks more like a micro switch with what I'm thinking is a plunger at the top.

It would be helpful If you post the unit it's from. Did you trace the part number?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #3

After playing with it for some time, I figured out how to assemble it. The trick was to pull the circlip and remove the shaft from the housing (you can see the clip at the top). I had the u-shaped springs somewhat in place, but instead of the ends touching together as pictured, the shaft end sandwiches between the two spring ends. This required two sets of hands due to the tension. I would have take a picture, but I wanted to slide it into the housing before it sprung apart again. lol. Verified with the multimeter and it works.

It failed because the die cast housing flanged opened up enough to allow the internals to pop out. It's bound to fail again in the future from bumps/vibration while towing.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #4

More pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141101_121608.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	65719   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141101_121542.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	65720