Old 07-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #1

Bedroom A/C Not Functioning

OK before I turn in ANOTHER work request to FROG Bob....

Looks like our Bedroom A/C has stopped working. If I turn it off and leave it alone for a couple of hours, then turn it back on it will blow reasonably cool air (Nothing like the 15K Living room unit though) for about 1-10 min then the compressor sounds like it is cycling off and poof - nothing but hot air :-/

Any troubleshooting ideas would we welcome!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:07 AM   #2

IF this is the 2014 Rockwood you have listed and the A/C unit is a Dometic, you may have a defective A/C unit. I have a 2015 Coachmen TT bought new in January and by March I noticed that the A/C unit and it started doing the same as you describe. By late March the unit would not cool the 31 foot TT at all. With outside temps in the high 90's the inside of the TT would only get down to 84 degrees, parked under shade trees at that. I'm not going to go into the long fight I have been in to try and get the selling dealer to look into this problem. Dometic has been literally no help either. I called a local RV repair shop to ask IF they would look into this with me paying out-of-pocket to get this problem solved. The local RV service place told me that they had heard that Dometic had bought some 2000 units from their Chinese manufacturer and these units were low on freon from the factory. These were both the 13,500 BTU units and the 15,000 BTU units. The local shop asked me to check out two (2) things: Check the Delta temperatures-that would be the temp of the air going into the unit and the air coming out of the unit. That reading should be around 18 to 20 degrees differential. Mine is at 4 degrees Delta. 2) Check the amperage draw of both the incoming wires, both black and white, to the A/C unit while it is running. Mine has a 12.4 amp draw while running which the shop told me is good. My incoming filter and coils are clean. Heck this unit probably doesn't have 100 hours on it. Dometic would not discuss this with me--at all. The local RV shop has called Dometic to try and work out solving this problem for me with Dometic authorizing them to do the warranty work. So far--not so good. You may want to contact your selling dealer and see what, if anything, they will offer to you.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #3

I guess I got one that was under charged. I had 10 deg. Delta and couldn't find a leak so I dropped the charge and weighed in a factory charge of 18 oz. of 410a Freon on my 13.5 bedroom unit. Now have 19 delta on high fan and 22 on low fan speed.
If your unit is under charged it will overheat the compressor and could be kicking out on the internal overload because the cool Freon coming back to the compressor cools it. Not good to run your unit on a low charge.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
OK before I turn in ANOTHER work request to FROG Bob....

Looks like our Bedroom A/C has stopped working. If I turn it off and leave it alone for a couple of hours, then turn it back on it will blow reasonably cool air (Nothing like the 15K Living room unit though) for about 1-10 min then the compressor sounds like it is cycling off and poof - nothing but hot air :-/

Any troubleshooting ideas would we welcome!
Pm sent

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "15 nights"
Old 07-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice guys - and I will call you Ron.

What is irritating about this is this: Last year, right before July 4th, the Bedroom A/C went out - I mean completely - not a freon issue, DOA!

No problem, replaced with a new unit under warranty. Now, not quite 1 year later (and with maybe 300 hours of use) the darn unit is acting up again!

I am wondering if this is a systemic issue with the low profile 13.5K units? It certainly would lend creedance to what Thurmand said!

Oh, and knock on wood, have not had problem 1 with the 15K unit - blows colder than a arctic wind in January!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
IF this is the 2014 Rockwood you have listed and the A/C unit is a Dometic, you may have a defective A/C unit. I have a 2015 Coachmen TT bought new in January and by March I noticed that the A/C unit and it started doing the same as you describe. By late March the unit would not cool the 31 foot TT at all. With outside temps in the high 90's the inside of the TT would only get down to 84 degrees, parked under shade trees at that. I'm not going to go into the long fight I have been in to try and get the selling dealer to look into this problem. Dometic has been literally no help either. I called a local RV repair shop to ask IF they would look into this with me paying out-of-pocket to get this problem solved. The local RV service place told me that they had heard that Dometic had bought some 2000 units from their Chinese manufacturer and these units were low on freon from the factory. These were both the 13,500 BTU units and the 15,000 BTU units. The local shop asked me to check out two (2) things: Check the Delta temperatures-that would be the temp of the air going into the unit and the air coming out of the unit. That reading should be around 18 to 20 degrees differential. Mine is at 4 degrees Delta. 2) Check the amperage draw of both the incoming wires, both black and white, to the A/C unit while it is running. Mine has a 12.4 amp draw while running which the shop told me is good. My incoming filter and coils are clean. Heck this unit probably doesn't have 100 hours on it. Dometic would not discuss this with me--at all. The local RV shop has called Dometic to try and work out solving this problem for me with Dometic authorizing them to do the warranty work. So far--not so good. You may want to contact your selling dealer and see what, if anything, they will offer to you.
Same here mine had only 1 degree difference. Unit was only used less than 4 months. Cycled constantly they had to replace unit. Ours was heat pump/ac so nothing worked.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #7

Update: The local guy called late Thursday to tell me that he got a call from Dometic and they have agreed for him to do the warranty work which will be to exchange the A/C unit out. He will call when Dometic confirms that the new unit has been shipped. He also tells me that with the latest call from Dometic the Dometic person apologized for taking so long but- -they have been swamped with calls about some of their units failing early in the unit's life. Imagine that. He stated that the lady even told him to be glad he called when he did as it appears that they will be running short of replacement units soon and are expecting another shipment of them from the "factory". He asked about the alleged problem about Dometic receiving some units that were under-charged from the "factory" and the lady would not discuss this with him. Well things are looking up anyway. I'm just waiting for him to call for me to bring him the TT. He says once he gets the replacement unit he can have it ready for me the next day.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Just some more China junk. No QC. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Pm sent

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "15 nights"
Wondering what good that does other readers???

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, roo