Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleburg Redneck View Post
I know you don't want the $1500.00 antenna; however, you may want to reconsider. I am on my second RV with the same antenna and it performs flawlessly. The first thing I do, after I get level and shore power on, is turn on the antenna. While it automatically adjusts I finish setting up and am watching TV in no time. The only drawback is ensuring that you always have a clean line of site to the sats. Also, you will not get local stations outside of your home viewing area so you will need to receive the major networks OTA.
You don't need to go OTA for locals. You can call DirecTV and ask them to change your Installation Address to one in the local area. Sometimes you get an ignorant rep that says you can't do it, but just call back to someone else. Be sure they don't change the billing address.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #22

We have Solid Signal's LNB5 dish/tripod unit that we use in our 2011 Georgetown 327DS all the time. The dish is stored disassembled when travelling and takes around 15-20 minutes to assemble. Another 10-15 min to aim the dish and we're all set. I was lucky that FR wired the RV with RF cable capable of handling satellite signals. The dish is plugged into the RV park cable input jack and I installed an A-B switch that lets me transfer that cable from the RV's distribution box to the SWM power supply cable.

We have a Genie box and are using a wireless transmission system to provide HDMI to two TVs in the RV. This does limit us to watching the same show on both sets but we've never figured out how to watch different shows without audio interference between them.

DirecTV has an (extra cost) option, "Distant Detwork Service" (DNS) that gives you access to tthe major networks all over the US. You'll be connected to the network stations in NYC or LA (?SF?) depending on where your billing address is located. Unfortunately, this cannot be added to a household account due to licensing restrictions. You'll need a separate RV account to get this option and you are legally not allowed to use the box inside your residence. (I wonder about using it in the RV parked next to the house?) The box does receive local broadcast stations when near home though.

If you try using a Genie box from your RV account in your house that also has a Genie box, it won't work. The standard SWM antenna supports up to 8 receivers and each Genie box has 5 receivers in it. When the 10 receivers try to connect to the antenna, you'll get an error message stating that the antenna needs to be upgraded. (Don't ask me how I know this.) There is a SWM antenna that has two cables from the LNB head that supports up to 16 receivers, 8 on each cable.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #23

thanks

Thanks to all who replied. I learned a lot. I will let you know what I do and how it works out,

Dwigt
dwightfr270s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #24
dgibbs1955

I have used both the tripod method and a on-the-ground angle iron flat mounting, and prefer the the ground method. I purchased the meter and found it to be more of a problem than a help. Now I just use the Meter screen on the set up page, once I have made the "course" adjustments. Then I make the "fine" with the meter pages. Takes about 20 minutes.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #25

Does anyone know what configuration I need to get DirecTV International channels (2060-2065)? Currently have these on my subscription at home.
I have both HD and regular receivers available in my house and it doesn't matter which I move out to the RV. I also have a DirecTV 3 LNB dish; don't know if this is what I need or not since it was from an older house installation.

Thanks
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabama View Post
Does anyone know what configuration I need to get DirecTV International channels (2060-2065)? Currently have these on my subscription at home.
I have both HD and regular receivers available in my house and it doesn't matter which I move out to the RV. I also have a DirecTV 3 LNB dish; don't know if this is what I need or not since it was from an older house installation.

Thanks
Those channels are on the DirecTV 95W sat and won't be able to be picked up with a standard CONUS (continental US) dish/lnb combo.

Can't say if this is the dish you have at home, but according to Solid Signal, it will not only receive 95W channels (2060-2065) but 101W programming which I believe is most of the standard CONUS DirecTV stations as well as where the channel guide info gets downloaded to your receiver.

DIRECTV WorldDirect dish with LNBFs for 95W and 101W (DTV66E) from Solid Signal

Hope this helps.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote