Old 01-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

Best Direct TV portable dish

I just went to direct TV and now I need a good portable dish. I do not want the high dollar ones that mout on my 30 foot motor coach.
My reviver is model HR44-200 with a 5LNB. I know I have to get an saltallite dish with SWM technology. I know I will need to take the reciver from my home.

I have talked to people at SOLIDSIGNAl.COM. They have one for $209 which they said meets my needs.It comes with conections, cable and tripod. It is the same size as one that goes on a house. I have space for it but I would like something smaller. They said I will not find anything because of the SWM.

They said it will take about an hour to set it up and tune it each time I move it. Tuning looks like a nightmare!
Any experience with this set up?? Do anyone have a simpler solution.

Dwight

Old 01-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #2

They are mostly correct. If you want HD and able to record you must have a SWM dish. An exact match to what is on your house is the best option. An hour to setup? Maybe, maybe not! With the correct meter setup should take no more than 20 minutes once your RV is correctly wired. If you want to watch TV on more than one set you will also need to bring a mini Genie and the video bridge, which needs to be about 6 feet away from the Genie. That means more wiring. SWM dish plus a tripod around 200 dollars. The current Direct meter will set you back around 500 dollars off of Ebay. This will allow you to locate and lock onto the correct birds really fast.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
Site Team

See post #4 in this thread for a pic of my cheaper set-up and a paragraph on my experiences. I don't need a video bridge (don't know what one is)... my trailer was wired right from the factory. It only took me a few days to figure it out!

===>Direct TV

I use the iPhone app SatFinder Lite (free) as my only meter/aid other than the ZIP code function and signal strength meter on DIRECTV's set-up screen.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
See post #4 in this thread for a pic of my cheaper set-up and a paragraph on my experiences. I don't need a video bridge (don't know what one is)... my trailer was wired right from the factory. It only took me a few days to figure it out!

===>Direct TV

I use the iPhone app SatFinder Lite (free) as my only meter/aid other than the ZIP code function and signal strength meter on DIRECTV's set-up screen.
The Directv HR44 is the Genie, SWM only. To watch TV on more than one set you need either a wired or wireless mini genie. What used to be OK in the old days no longer cuts it. The new HD technology requires a strong signal, correct wiring setup to work.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
The Directv HR44 is the Genie, SWM only. To watch TV on more than one set you need either a wired or wireless mini genie. What used to be OK in the old days no longer cuts it. The new HD technology requires a strong signal, correct wiring setup to work.
I'm not sure who said I didn't take a Genie and a mini-Genie. As a matter of fact, my post #4 in the linked-to thread says "I take my Genie controller and a mini-Genie from home and enjoy HD programming on two TVs." I'm not sure what you mean by old days. I used my set-up in November (less than 2 months ago) and watched different programs on separate TVs.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110; booked = 0
Old 01-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

You must have the wired minis then. Wireless monis need the video bridge. Since you dont know what that is, i made an assumprion. Sorry.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
You must have the wired minis then. Wireless monis need the video bridge. Since you dont know what that is, i made an assumprion. Sorry.
No problem. That's why I added "my trailer was wired right from the factory" but I'm learning I am one of the fortunate few for which that is true. My utilities bay has Cable In, Sat 1 In, Sat 2 In. To make mine work, I had to attach my sat. antenna coax to Sat 2 In which exited behind my living room/main TV but had no cable attached. The main TV had been driven by a coax to an outlet that came from to the OTA antenna. I ran a good coax with good connections to my power inserter and the splitter (both came with the $60 antenna), then to my Genie receiver then with an HDMI out to the main TV. I connected another good coax from the Genie receiver to the line which came from the OTA antenna (the coax that had driven the main TV for OTA). This supplied a wired connection to the bedroom. In the bedroom, I ran a cable from the outlet which had driven OTA to the bedroom TV to the mini-Genie with an HDMI to the TV and... Eureka.... I got HD TV!

I think that's right. I'd have to go outside and open a slide-out to check and I don't want to walk that far and hook up my battery!

Old 01-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #8

For all of your Satellite TV needs, go to Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod and buy their heavy duty tripod kit and you will soon be an expert at setting up your satellite. The folks at tv4rv will help you with any aspect of satellite for your RV.

With my setup from tv4rv, I take no longer than ten minutes to get tuned in to the three satellites needed for HD DirecTv.

Bruce
Old 01-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
For all of your Satellite TV needs, go to Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod and buy their heavy duty tripod kit and you will soon be an expert at setting up your satellite. The folks at tv4rv will help you with any aspect of satellite for your RV.

With my setup from tv4rv, I take no longer than ten minutes to get tuned in to the three satellites needed for HD DirecTv.

Bruce

Good Stuff/Link. Thanks!!!
2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags, (not really used, left over from our truck camper). Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch. TST 507 TPMS. Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera. Garmin RV-760 GPS. Honda 2000i Genny, PI EMS-PT30C.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
Pickin' & Campin'

Dwight,
To your original question, I am not aware of a smaller 'portable' dish that will work with your SWM receiver. You will need to carry a full sized dish. You mentioned you have room for a full size dish so if you want to use your home stuff, you'll need to plan on that.

As for taking an hour to set up, I don't think so. I have one I carry. Got it for nothing. Found someone in the neighborhood who was moving and they said if I took it off the side of their house I could have it. I built a small platform out of PVC pipe and mounted the dish mount to it. I set it up at the house and dialed it in the first time. Took about a half hour. I can go anywhere in a 200 mile radius and not have to change anything except the direction the dish points. Takes about 15 minutes to set up at campsite. Certainly if you live in MA and go to FL you'll have to do a bit of azmith and elevation adjustments but not an hours worth.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote