Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #11

I have had Hughes Net for internet for over 10 years because I live on a small ranch in SE Texas and there was no other option. It was slow, at best, but I had no other choice, also $60 per month for slow service. On December 18th we, better half and I, got new smart phones from Verizon and now use them as hot spots for verizon Wifi. World of difference, much faster and were we live, no 4G yet, all 3G. I don't think that we saved much money, but much faster service. I have read that Verizon should be all 4G by the end of the Year.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
CampingQueen

Thanks everyone for the responses!! I think my first option will be the Verizon Jetpack. I did contact Verizon and they said that if I go with that option, I can purchase the equipment and I will have 2 weeks to test drive it. If it doesn't work for me I can return it for a full refund.

They have a $90 prepay option for 10GB per month. I've tracked my usage on my VPN and it looks like I have throughput of about 1 GB per 24 hour period of continual connection. So, that would translate into about 1 GB for every 3 working days, assuming I connect only for those hours I work.

$90/month is high, but with the no contract I only have to pay for the 2 month's worth I would need while on the road, and I could always start with their lower price/lower data volume account and upgraded later if I needed to.

You've definately answered one main question - was HughesNet or similar faster than the 4G and sounds like that's a "NO".

Again - thanks all! I'm feeling much better about being able to work on the road now!

2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlee453 View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses!! I think my first option will be the Verizon Jetpack. I did contact Verizon and they said that if I go with that option, I can purchase the equipment and I will have 2 weeks to test drive it. If it doesn't work for me I can return it for a full refund.

They have a $90 prepay option for 10GB per month. I've tracked my usage on my VPN and it looks like I have throughput of about 1 GB per 24 hour period of continual connection. So, that would translate into about 1 GB for every 3 working days, assuming I connect only for those hours I work.

$90/month is high, but with the no contract I only have to pay for the 2 month's worth I would need while on the road, and I could always start with their lower price/lower data volume account and upgraded later if I needed to.

You've definately answered one main question - was HughesNet or similar faster than the 4G and sounds like that's a "NO".

Again - thanks all! I'm feeling much better about being able to work on the road now!
If you are a Verizon customer already....there is no charge for the Jetpack.