Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #1

Better GPS ?

I have a Rand McNally GPS from Camping World. It gives good information and directions. But most of the time I can't read it because it's too dim even with the sun shade. Gets very frustrating.
Garmin is having a two day sale on their GPS's. Does anyone have experience with the two as far as visual or read ability?
In your opinion, was it worth the cost?

Thanks much.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #2

I have two garmin's both great units easy to see in the sun and easy to hear, with that said without know the model you are talking about its hard to answer your question
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:40 PM   #3

Same here, I have had two Garmins and they are bright
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #4

Thanks.
I can't say what model I have since it is at another location. I'll check tomorrow. Which models do you have.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #5

I don't remember the first one but the one I have now is RV760, Garmin has new one out that gives warnings for speed traps
Old 03-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #6

Been eyeing several different Garmin units. Originally looking at RV 760, but that design is from 2013. Then thought about the RV660 but that is 4 years old, which brings me to the RV 770 released this month. In the prior models, there seemed to be too many reviews that indicated wrong mapping, wrong routing, not taking into consideration RV configuration(s). On top of that, was the price tag wanted for the 770. Did not make a lot of sense when compared to other Garmin units. Decided to go with the new 61 NA LMT-S, which was released today. We have a Class C, so don't necessarily have all the issues of the larger Class A units. Still use maps, too
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:18 AM   #7

I kinda wished I had waited for the RV 770. I saw where it would let you know about speed traps up ahead. My RV 760 is nice and I use maps too. Plus if I'm going through a big town or city I check everything out on google maps and iPhone maps
Old 04-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #8

After wrestling with which GPS to get, I went ahead and got the new Garmin 61 NA-LMTs. New unit just released that has all the features except the RV descriptors. Felt I did not need that as I have a Class C MBS. Nice unit, easy to understand, voice commands, shows school zones, curves ahead, speed changes, and has option for red light traps, speed traps, etc (if you want that). Also does weather thru your phone, but don;t know why you need that as you already have it on your smartphone?? Bright. clear, great size and am happy with it. Decided to go this route after reading a lot of reviews with issues of the 770 rerouting though areas unnecessarily along with varied other points of concern. Im sure they all have their good and not so good points, but this will work for me.
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster 84 View Post
I have a Rand McNally GPS from Camping World. It gives good information and directions. But most of the time I can't read it because it's too dim even with the sun shade. Gets very frustrating.
Garmin is having a two day sale on their GPS's. Does anyone have experience with the two as far as visual or read ability?
In your opinion, was it worth the cost?

Thanks much.
I have a Rand McNally RV7710 and went into setting and adjusted the brightness for both day and night. It is bright enough for me to see when I have my sunglasses on. The unit can be temperamental at times and seems to loose settings but no big deal to change them.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #10

I did have the settings as bright as I can get them. I may have a faulty unit. If the screen is in the sun, if I get a reflection or if I'm wearing sunglasses; I can't see the screen.
I went with a Garmin and it's a big improvement.