Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #1

Bib Buddy Propane Heater

The furnace in our windjammer does not heat the unit to 70 degrees when it is, say 28 degrees (F). Has anyone used a Big Buddy Propane Heater to supplement? We are leaving for Texas in two weeks, so would like to use the TM part of the way (2000 miles)

John
2013 Windjammer 3008W
2006 Silverado 5.3

Actually had good news/bad news last week. The bearing on our truck went, so new front hubs and bearings. Would not want that to happen on the way to Texas.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #2

I own a Big Buddy and I'm sure it would keep your trailer warm but I would only use it if I were awake and had a window opened for a vent. I have heard of too many camping families not waking up in the morning because of heater problems or fires. Is there a reason that your furnace can't keep up? If you have 110 could you use an electric heater? I guess I'm just a worry wort maybe but that's my two cents!
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

Big Buddy

The WJ has propane and carbon monoxide alarms, but, one must always take care. I know what carbon monoxide does, I investigated three fatalities involving Serville propane fridges.
Tks
John
Old 12-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I use a Big Buddy Heater on low at nite.....it will last about 10 hours in the low position. Even when the outside temperatures are in the low 30s, the Big Buddy will keep it in the 60s.....but I have a smaller trailer than the 3008W.

I crack a window near the heater, and another in the bedroom area. I also make sure the CO detector is working.

Like Gizmo, if you are running the furnace for any amount of time, then you must be connected to electricity, as the furnace will run a battery down quickly. If connected to electricity, then an electric heater would be a better option.

Also like Gizmo, wonder why your furnace can't keep up ?? Maybe there is duct-work that isn't connected properly ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #5

I personally wouldn't use one of these in my TT. We supplement with an electric heater. But I'd be curious as to why your furnace can't keep up.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #6

We will need to sleep 4 nights on the way to Texas. The first night in Minnesota might be too cold to use the WJ, but, hopefully Iowa, Oklahoma and northern Texas might be ok. The problem with using the WJ furnace is that it runs the battery down if used all night. There are some campgrounds open all year, but, if not, Walmart here we come. Leaving early January.
John
Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
The problem with using the WJ furnace is that it runs the battery down if used all night.
John
Me personally, I would try to improve my battery situation, if possible. Possibly adding a second battery would get you through the night with out running down. I wouldn't think you would need it to be 70 degrees to sleep, maybe try keeping it warm enough to be comfortable with plenty of blankets and save some battery that way. Is the furnace in proper working order? Mine has no issues keeping the trailer warm down to probably 20 degrees or maybe colder. For me, the Big Buddy would be a last resort for keeping warm while sleeping.
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

When "camping" at Walmart, the Big Buddy Heater should do the trick, with the furnace as an auxiliary heat source. You would still need the furnace on occasionally to heat the belly area, so the tanks won't freeze.

Also, keep the slides in.......less area to heat, and not as much heat loss due to poor seals around the motor mechanism. That unit looks like it is pretty usable with the slides in....other than loosing the TV, and some drawers in the bedroom.

Again, if using any kind of non-vented gas heat....crack some windows !!!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #9

Big Buddy

Tried out the BB this morning, it is -14C. (.4 f) Would take an hour to heat up the WJ with the BB and the WJ furnace. If we use it, will definitely crack open a vent. Once the WJ is heater, the BB will keep it so. The BB is a nice unit, will work in other venues as well, e,g, cabin. There will be no water in the tanks
John
Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #10

You can also buy a roll of reflextics and cut out window sized pieces, to keep more heat in. I find it slips in behind my blinds. I also use it on very sunny days to keep my trailer cooler, and also when it is in storage to keep the sun out.

You can buy it at Camping World, but the stuff at the hardware stores is cheaper and better.
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Big Buddy used properly works good when no power is available.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #12

The Big Buddy has a low oxygen shutoff, so it should theoretically shut down before it has the opportunity to cause a problem.
Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot View Post
The Big Buddy has a low oxygen shutoff, so it should theoretically shut down before it has the opportunity to cause a problem.
The low oxygen shutoff does work well. However, be aware that it will not allow the heater to operate at altitudes above 5,000 to 6,000 feet. The Olympian Wave series of catalytic heaters from Camco will operate at high altitude.

Both brands require that you keep a window or vent cracked open.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot View Post
The Buddy heaters do have a low oxygen shutoff. But that is different than having a CO problem. The Buddy heaters will not shut off if there is a CO buildup. That is why it is important to crack some windows, and keep the CO detector operational.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
Travelin Man

Bb heater

I use the BB Heater in our Sterling, we also put the bubble foil from Home depot or Lowes in all the windows, that really helps. I put a hose out the window and use a 20pd tank sitting on the ground. I also have a refill fitting that i use to refill the little one pound bottles from a bigger tank. I have never used the heater at night but have run it all day up until bedtime with no windows cracked. we use it on low and it just about runs us out of the fiver.
I think the coldest temps we have used it in were in the 20s down in AZ or on the way from Oregon. we have the largest one they make with tanks on each side.
i keep it on a back shelf up away from the pets and it has a fan built into it that uses batteries, i put in rechargeables and recharge them about once a week.
I dont know how large your unit is but ours is 32 ft long and 12 ft high.
Douglasdh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #16

Bog Buddy

Thanks for all the info. We'll let everyone know how it worked when we get to Texas on or about January 15th.
John
2013 Windjammer 2008W
2006 Silverado 5.3 with tow package.
The Canoeing Capital of Canada