Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #1

Boosting cell signal to Verizon Jetpack 8800L

We run a Verizon Jetpack MiFi 8800l and were in a campground with a few cell towers around so the signal wasn’t great (2 bars).

What do some of you do when you run into this? I’d be interested in what you do that works in regards to an external antenna or cell signal boosters.

Thanks,

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
Site Team

We use a Weboost 4g-X RV. Works great as long as you have have a signal to boost so it can not work magic. The amp itself does get warm so should not be mounted in a very confined space.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #3

Getting an antenna out of the trailer and higher can sometimes help. There are a wide variety of omni and directional antennas available. There are also inline amplifiers that can be used with these antennas.

Some of the amplifier/boosters like the Sleek that we use and some other Weboost products actually retransmit the cellular signal so there can be a reduction in speed just as there is with any radio frequency repeater. If you connect to the Mifi by wireless, there will be a further reduction in speed. I have found that I get the best results by tethering the Mifi to the router and connecting the computers to the router by ethernet. I have found that I need to speed test with and without the Sleek at each location. Sometimes the speed using the Sleek is slower than without it.
Trailer traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
Always Learning

Start with this $30 Netgear MIMO antenna. It often works better than my $500 weBoost cellular booster.

https://learntorv.com/netgear-hotspot-antenna/

It’s my go-to for when I need to improve speeds on the Jetpack. You have to try it in different windows since it’s a directional antenna.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #5

X2 on Weboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrav View Post
We run a Verizon Jetpack MiFi 8800l and were in a campground with a few cell towers around so the signal wasn’t great (2 bars).

What do some of you do when you run into this? I’d be interested in what you do that works in regards to an external antenna or cell signal boosters.

Thanks,

Bob
We dropped Directv. Wasn't getting strong signal to Jetpack for Internet tv. Went with Weboost because everyone remarked how great the tech support was. They are excellent. They not only got me up and running but told me how to position antenna to Jetpack to get best streaming. Price is a little high but worth it. BTW... Find a Weboost already in stock at CW. You will save $20-$30 over Internet prices.
Philandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
We use a Weboost 4g-X RV. Works great as long as you have have a signal to boost so it can not work magic. The amp itself does get warm so should not be mounted in a very confined space.
X2, Works very well for me.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
X2, Works very well for me.
X3
My DW works online teaching high school science. The WeBoost really makes it possible for us to spend weeks at a time on the road. As another poster noted it can't make a signal out of thin air, but if there is any signal at all, it can generally make it useable.

It is pricey, but a small price to pay in our situation.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #8

I have the MiFi 8800 and have had good luck with the Netgear MIMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-60004...gateway&sr=8-3

Although it helps there is not much you can do for the 8800. It’s like putting lipstick on a pig. Verizon has known about the multiple 8800 problems and has had the fix sent to them by the manufacturer. For whatever reason Verizon refuses to push the update to their customers. The company recently stopped offering the 8800 unlimited plan so maybe they’re hoping everyone will get discouraged and cancel.

I had some dealings with Verizon 20 years ago and left because they came across as a very misleading and dishonest company. I put them in the same category as used car dealers. It appears they haven’t changed.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #9

Add a MIMO ANTENNA. it's not the bars. It's quality and breadth of signal. My $29 amazon hang it in a window MIMO does better than my on the roof single channel Wilson does with my at&t
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
X3
My DW works online teaching high school science. The WeBoost really makes it possible for us to spend weeks at a time on the road. As another poster noted it can't make a signal out of thin air, but if there is any signal at all, it can generally make it useable.

It is pricey, but a small price to pay in our situation.
Same here. My wife teaches at a local college and she needs a good high speed internet access.

Thanks to all who replied.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Start with this $30 Netgear MIMO antenna. It often works better than my $500 weBoost cellular booster.

https://learntorv.com/netgear-hotspot-antenna/

It’s my go-to for when I need to improve speeds on the Jetpack. You have to try it in different windows since it’s a directional antenna.
I use the same one and it works well. I made a swivel mount for mine so I could adjust the direction it faces and have it outside on the edge of the roof. I added a ts9 extension cable and have it running in through the slide out opening. Works great, although my cable run isn’t ideal.

Ray
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote