Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Cable Modem and Internet

Has anyone tried using their own cable modem at campgrounds for their own internet service? This of course would be at camprounds with cable service. Or does everyone just use the wifi provided by the campground? We're heading to New Orleans the week after Christmas and I'll still need to connect in to work to keep an eye on things.
Thanks.
jk143893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk143893
Has anyone tried using their own cable modem at campgrounds for their own internet service? This of course would be at camprounds with cable service. Or does everyone just use the wifi provided by the campground? We're heading to New Orleans the week after Christmas and I'll still need to connect in to work to keep an eye on things.
Thanks.
If you find a campground with WiFi it's normally totally useless.
As 50 others are also trying to use it and dragging it down.

Wouldn't the campground with cable actually have to subscribe to internet to have it available? Wouldnt count on this either.

We use our android phones for hotspot.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #3

Thanks Turbs, good point, I better get my hotspot feature turned on.
JK
Old 10-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #4

If you have Verizon smart phone, wireless tethering is now free. I use the app FoxFi for android, it is free and turns your cell phone into a WiFi hot spot. It does use your cell phone data. So if you don't have unlimited data, you need to watch how much data you use.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk143893
Thanks Turbs, good point, I better get my hotspot feature turned on.
JK
If you have Samsung mesmerize II WiFi hotspot is free .
Just uses your data plan .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #6

Your cable modem would not work.....sometimes wireless is available, but its usually only got enough shared bandwidth to check your email ( or the forest river app) :-D

I use my galaxy s3 and just share the connection.....if its fast enough i can sling dish network from my house and watch satellite, or rent movies from google.....if its poor or really slow (not 4g) its pretty much as worthless as the sites wireless....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Trailer Trash

I stepped up to 4G LTE with Verizon via a jetpack instead of using my cell phone as a hotspot.

When you use your cell phone as a hotspot, you are putting additional wear on LCD display and batteries. I found out the hard way that those additional extended warranty/insurance you can buy can sometimes be a joke. The hidden BS is the deductable you have to pay. In the good old days the deductable was nothing to a few bucks. It now can be well into the hundreds so check your policy.

The LTE version of 4G is way faster. I am consistently getting 15-30Mbs via speedtest. Rollout of LTE is good with Verizon and spotty with the other carriers. I do not waste my time with DSL, CABLE, etc. anymore. Verizon data plans are alacart so you pay for what you use.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #8

Yes...it's very nice when you get full 4g lte...Mine runs around 17meg a second on download....but even on my 4g hpsa+ gets 4-6megs....that's att....

As far as using the phone as a hot spot, my display isn't affected while it's on?...I usually buy or break a phone a year so the notion of longevity is irrelevant....I don't like the deductible but it beats paying 500$ for q new smartphone...especially when it's gonna be an outdated 'dumb phone' in no more than 2 yrs....lol
Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
Trailer Trash

my 4g phones the display stayed on forever when plugged into ac and passing cell or wifi signal back and forth. Probably only a few minutes but they have a nasty habit of burning out. If you replace your cell every year, thanks you. You are keeping prices down for me. LOL
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #10

I have a Moto RAZR with VZ, my company is paying for the unlimited data, so I'll try it and hog the bandwidth. Thanks everyone.
JK
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek
my 4g phones the display stayed on forever when plugged into ac and passing cell or wifi signal back and forth. Probably only a few minutes but they have a nasty habit of burning out. If you replace your cell every year, thanks you. You are keeping prices down for me. LOL
I don't see How my utilizing the insurance once or twice a year would make it cheaper for you?...I would think deductibles would be LESS if they had to replace less phones....also, a burned out screen would be covered under your manufacturers warranty.....so long as it was still under warranty...touch screen phones are notorious for going bad if you are a heavy texter as well....I've had my screens replaced under warranty for ghost texting several times....it only takes them 10min in store.....
Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Site Team

Based on my usage I rather use my T Mobile broad band for Internet while camping. It's easier than jumping through hoops with the campground Internet service. I only use TMobile Internet while camping so my usage is low and I might as well get my $20/mo worth out of it. Of course only two campgrounds I visit offer free Internet. The first place tend to forget what the current password is and the second place the Internet is only around the office area.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, new orleans, wifi, cable