Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
2015 Patriot 26BH

Cable/Satellite Connections

HI Everyone,

Just purchased a 2015 Grey Wolf 26BH.
I have a directv unit and dish that i have taken out with me camping. I tried to plug the cat6 cable from the dish to the outlet marked cable on the outside of my camper and then plug my receiver in inside to the Sat/Aux connection that is right above the TV connection and i can not get a signal. I have tried to connect it to the TV outlet (with the booster OFF) and still no signal. I had to run the cat6 cable in thru the door to the receiver so i could watch Direct.
Today I took the faceplate off inside with the SAT/AUX and TV connection. There is NOTHING connected to the SAT/AUX connector and the TV connector had a cable connected to a splittler.

Any idea how i can make the Cable Outlet that is on the outside of the camper connect to my SAT/AUX connector inside the camper?

Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140821_184140.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	61139   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140821_184207.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	61140   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140821_184123.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	342.8 KB
ID:	61141  

Camper_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

Not an expert by any means, but from the pictures, it LOOKS like none of those cables are RG6 cables (not big enough).
Without RG6 you won't ever get a good signal.
You would need to get the fish tape out from the outside "tap" and fish RG6 to that connecter to get your signal

markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #3

I think I would be headed back to the dealer and say "fix it". Obviously a manufacturing screw up and I'll bet the coax for the satellite hookup is down in the wall somewhere below (or above) the outlet. RG-6 is the proper coax for satellite and digital TV signals, used for long runs. If you had something like a dental mirror you may be able to find it. Anyway, if the dealer isn't 3 hours away I would be paying him a visit. Give them a heads up so you don't have to leave it there. My dealer sets up appointments and the service manager said he wants me to stay and take the trailer back home the same day. They fix all my problems in an hour or less and they stop what they are doing on anything else to get me out of there. The last visit they swapped out the AC on the roof. Took about an hour and in the heat they were dripping wet. He didn't want me to come until he knew he had a replacement AC if needed. Good people.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_Dan View Post
HI Everyone,

Just purchased a 2015 Grey Wolf 26BH.
I have a directv unit and dish that i have taken out with me camping. I tried to plug the cat6 cable from the dish to the outlet marked cable on the outside of my camper and then plug my receiver in inside to the Sat/Aux connection that is right above the TV connection and i can not get a signal. I have tried to connect it to the TV outlet (with the booster OFF) and still no signal. I had to run the cat6 cable in thru the door to the receiver so i could watch Direct.
Today I took the faceplate off inside with the SAT/AUX and TV connection. There is NOTHING connected to the SAT/AUX connector and the TV connector had a cable connected to a splittler.

Any idea how i can make the Cable Outlet that is on the outside of the camper connect to my SAT/AUX connector inside the camper?

Thanks everyone!
Sounds to me like your TT is only wired for cable. My TT has two connection on the outside. One is for cable and the other is for satellite.

They probably just used the standard inside plate that has the cable and satellite outputs because that's what they had. Your satellite needs it's own dedicated connection. The TT isn't going to magically know that you've hooked up a satellite dish to the outside "Cable" connection.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #5

Leaving the booster switch off, the cable from the outside connection goes to the "TV\cable connection on the plate.

Should work just fine if he connects to that connection, unless there's something else wrong somewhere.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
Leaving the booster switch off, the cable from the outside connection goes to the "TV\cable connection on the plate.

Should work just fine if he connects to that connection, unless there's something else wrong somewhere.
I have tried to connect it to the TV outlet (with the booster OFF) and still no signal. I had to run the cat6 cable in thru the door to the receiver so i could watch Direct.

Looks like he already tried that.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #7

The plate looks like it has 3 coax cables connected to the back!? One should be an inbound from an outside connector for campgrd cable, one should be an antenna inbound and one should be outbound to a splitter which splits the cable to send signal to the bedroom and signal to an outside TV connection. At least that is how mine works.

It seems to me that he maybe connected to the outside TV connector. He really should connect the sat dish to the connector for campground cable which then should send the signal to the booster and then use the TV connector on the booster to attach to the sat receiver. Turnoff the booster.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Sounds to me like your TT is only wired for cable. My TT has two connection on the outside. One is for cable and the other is for satellite.

They probably just used the standard inside plate that has the cable and satellite outputs because that's what they had. Your satellite needs it's own dedicated connection. The TT isn't going to magically know that you've hooked up a satellite dish to the outside "Cable" connection.
Unless the OP shows a picture on the outside marked satellite then his TT is not wired for satellite. He could remove the splitters in between the outside connection and that faceplate and then go to his satellite receiver but then he loses his cable or over the air capabilities.

I'm surprised any newer trailer isn't wired for satellite but that's what it looks like here.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #9

Looking a dealer photos of the 2015 Grey Wolf 26bh I don't see a plug for satellite, only cable. If that is the case you are going to have to install your own plug and run the coax to an interior outlet. Without the satellite plug on the outside you can't get it inside. Satellite hookup is run separate from cable. Like Pappcam said, I can't imagine a 2015 trailer not having the satellite hookup.

I missed it in your first post when you said you hooked up to the "cable" plug on the outside, that naturally won't work.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
2015 Patriot 26BH

THanks for the advice from everyone. Here is what I ended up doing this weekend. First off, all cabling in the TT is Cat6, thats good. So what I did was to trace the cable connect that is on the front of the TT by the door that you can use to watch TV outside. I disconnected it from the splitter behind the faceplate inside and connected it to the SAT/AUX port. So now all i have to do is screw my satellite cable in on the outside by the door. IF I ever wanted to watch CABLE outside, all i would have to do is jump the Cable to SAT inside with a small cat6 cable, no biggie as so far I am all DirecTV so far.

THanks for all the advice! I have learned a lot from reading all the posts here in this forum. I has made it so much easier with my new TT.

DAn

Camper_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite