Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #1

Cable/satellite Hookup??

I was wondering if the cable hookup on the back of my trailer will work for satellite and if not if there is anyway it could be modified to work for satellite?
gucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucci View Post
I was wondering if the cable hookup on the back of my trailer will work for satellite and if not if there is anyway it could be modified to work for satellite?
Take a picture of it, they are normally for cable and satellite. Left cable, right satellite.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Cable hookup will not work for satellite.
Only a "sat" hookup.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #4

There is only one outside hookup and it is clearly marked cable...I thought there might be some way I could modify this cable hookup so it would work for satellite...
gucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #5

I haven't installed a SAT system, but have experience with other electronic installations, so please don't take my advice as a final word.

Since you asked about what can be done to "upgrade" your system, I thought I'd chime in and try to give you some guidance.

From the technical specs I could find, it seems that there are a few factors that would affect whether or not you can use your existing CATV connection with your SAT system:
1) quality/type of coax cable in use
2) length of cable run
3) whether or not a splitter was used

Can someone chime in about whether there is any risk of him trying his SAT over the existing cable? From what I understand, the biggest risk seems that it wouldn't work.

In detail:
1) quality/type of coax cable in use
2) length of cable run
If you can read the numbers off the coax cable that is currently installed you might get some hints about the quality of cable/shielding in use. One type is better suited for CATV and another for SAT. However, on very short runs such as one you'd find in a trailer, the difference between the cables is less if high quality/well shielded cable was used in the original installation.

3) whether or not a splitter was used
If you have separate cable outlets in the trailer for a living room TV and a bedroom TV there will be a splitter located somewhere along the cable run. A CATV splitter is not compatible with a SAT system. SAT systems require "multiswitches" to split the feed.

To summarize:
Obviously you could hire a cable installed to replace the cable and connectors if needed, but I'm assuming this was a DIY request.

I expect that if you have two TV jacks and can remove the splitter (which might be right behind your entry panel) and replace it with a quality inline adapter (female-to-female, aka barrel connector or "cable joiner") you might then just need to try it and see if the quality is adequate.
Frogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #6

I have found that a splitter after the receiver doesn't matter. Try taking the incoming cable that attaches to the plate that has your antenna booster on it and running that to your sat reciver. Run the coax from the receiver back to where you unhooked the incoming cable,or RCA,composite or HDMI directly to the tv. That should get you sat on the main tv. (It worked on my last trailer that had only one tv). But you lose cable option.
With two tv's, like I have now, I had to add an a/b switch for the bedroom connection.(top right on the back of the plate). and I had a separate sat wire coming in.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #7

The "cable" coax on the back of the plate should be in the middle.
left: antenna
middle: cable
right: 2nd tv
Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

There sure is. This issue was solved with this easy mod.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite_rewire.pdf (957.8 KB, 946 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #9

Herk...I like your way alot better!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
There sure is. This issue was solved with this easy mod.
I cannot open your pdf file - error message says file damaged. Can you PM me please and arrange to e-mail the file?

Hopefully it might solve my problem. I just purchased a Lacrosse 301RLS and it has 2 co-ax connections - one for Satellite and one for Cable. My Sat TV HDPVR requires TWO sat cables (to allow recording 2 different channels at same time). I assumed I could just use one cable and lose the "dual tuner" feature. I tested my receiver with one coax connected and I can only receive the odd numbered channels. If I feed the cable to the second input I only get even number channels. Called Tech Support (at Shaw Direct TV) and they say "No problem. Don't use the RV wiring and just run 2 cables from the dish in through a window or door". Really, that's the only solution they have. My PVR - Motorola 630 - must have both inputs connected to separate cables from the dish.

Anyone using a Direct TV HD PVR and found a solution?

I suggested to the Tech that perhaps a "reverse splitter" could combine the two dish cables into one for connecting to the outside Sat connector but he said not to try it.

Thanks.
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport
I cannot open your pdf file

Hopefully it might solve my problem. I just purchased a Lacrosse 301RLS and it has 2 co-ax connections - one for Satellite and one for Cable. My Sat TV HDPVR requires TWO sat cables (to allow recording 2 different channels at same time). I assumed I could just use one cable and lose the "dual tuner" feature. I tested my receiver with one coax connected and I can only receive the odd numbered channels. If I feed the cable to the second input I only get even number channels. Called Tech Support (at Shaw Direct TV) and they say "No problem. Don't use the RV wiring and just run 2 cables from the dish in through a window or door". Really, that's the only solution they have. My PVR - Motorola 630 - must have both inputs connected to separate cables from the dish.

Anyone using a Direct TV HD PVR and found a solution?

I suggested to the Tech that perhaps a "reverse splitter" could combine the two dish cables into one for connecting to the outside Sat connector but he said not to try it.

Thanks.
I wouldn't post your email in a open forum the trolls will love you!
Pm emails and phone numbers .
Edit post if you can or pm a mod to remove it.
Ron
Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
DS ADV Rider

OK - I've edited my post, thanks. Can you delete my "Quote" in your post please?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport
OK - I've edited my post, thanks. Can you delete my "Quote" in your post please?

Thanks.
Done
Old 08-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #14

First of all you can have a connection between the Dish and the reciever this is the standard setup for a Sat install. Only problem is that if you only have 1 coax connector everyone will have to watch the same thing the Sat or the antennae, the booster will kill everything else. Altho I have an idea for having your SAT/Cable and booster TV all on 1 Coax I just have to search for the parts and test.
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #15

I said what I said because I know the tech needed for the SAT but not the cable the tuner is the issue. Usually the tv does the tuning for cable, it used to be a box for each tv but that was not cost effective. The way I am thinking is for Sat/tv to either use Herks plans or use a Channel combiner. only issue is channel 3 or 4 they make adjustable ones so not a real issue. My Idea for the Cable/TV is kinda long but will work. But it requires the same plate that is the main unit with the on/off on booster. This way each tv will be able to choose weather they want to look at what is on Sat or Cable or have control of the tv channels they watch. I can even get it so you can switch the channels of the Sat from your bed with the same remote. I have done 90% of this in my bar/resort/home already, I left the 10% open for the Sat/Cable/Amplified TV combo on 1 RG6. BTW they used Crappy RG59 in all of our trailers.
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
DS ADV Rider

Multiple TVs isn't the issue.

I just want to connect my Satellite receiver box to the HDTV in the Entertainment Centre (don't plan to use the bedroom TV or outside TV hookups). My Sat Receiver needs 2 inputs from the dish but there is only 1 sat-grade coax at the UDC external hookup (UDC - universal docking center in Forest River language).

The Satellite service provider says a "splitter/combiner/switch/whatever" will not work. I'm hoping that's just Company Policy and that someone has already found a box that will feed both receiver inputs from a single coax from my dish.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
Multiple TVs isn't the issue.

I just want to connect my Satellite receiver box to the HDTV in the Entertainment Centre (don't plan to use the bedroom TV or outside TV hookups). My Sat Receiver needs 2 inputs from the dish but there is only 1 sat-grade coax at the UDC external hookup (UDC - universal docking center in Forest River language).

The Satellite service provider says a "splitter/combiner/switch/whatever" will not work. I'm hoping that's just Company Policy and that someone has already found a box that will feed both receiver inputs from a single coax from my dish.
use a combination of the AUX/SAT connection and do the attached Cable/Sat modification of the wall plate.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #18
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
use a combination of the AUX/SAT connection and do the attached Cable/Sat modification of the wall plate.
I tried tried to use your PDF file from your post earlier in this thread, but my Abobe Reader (Ver 9.2.0) says the file is damaged. I tried again from one of your posts in a different thread - same result.

I'd like to look at your suggested fix if I can get a working PDF file from you.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
I tried tried to use your PDF file from your post earlier in this thread, but my Abobe Reader (Ver 9.2.0) says the file is damaged. I tried again from one of your posts in a different thread - same result.

I'd like to look at your suggested fix if I can get a working PDF file from you.

Thanks
Possibly you need to update your reader software.
Works fine for others.

I can email direct if you PM me.

I will try to explain how I would go about using the cable as a second SAT connection. Drill two holes in the wall plate and mount a "coax union" in each hole in the wall plate.

Disconnect the "cable" input (currently going to the center connector) and attach it to one of the "unions"

Connect a short coax from the back of the other union to the cable input on the amp.

Make a short coax jumper to use to connect the two unions from the front if you ever want to use the campground cable.

Other wise connect your second sat cable to the "union" with the cable feed from outside.

That way you can use one feed on the SAT and one feed on the Cable.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #20

I have done the Mod that herk7769 is talking about, it works great, and give you lots of options for cable/satellite. Good luck with your Mod....
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote