Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #1

Cable TV booster? NOt tv antennae

I bypassed the TV antennae booster/splitter in my new camper. Where I am going to be for a while has cable tv. However, signal is not strong enough for all 3 sets(I have them split off with simple cheap splitters) They work, just not as many channels. Can I just buy a CABLE TV booster? Or would the antennae booster help if I ran the cable thru it where the antennae input was?
Huntingjman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #2

Use the built in booster.
Without it, you are lucky you get any channels.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #3

I dont think you read my post completely. I dont care about antennae reception. I'm trying to boost the RV Park supplied cable tv service. Or I am misreading your response?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingjman73 View Post
I dont think you read my post completely. I dont care about antennae reception. I'm trying to boost the RV Park supplied cable tv service. Or I am misreading your response?
Sorry, it was me!!!!!
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You said you split the cable to three Tv's with simple cheap splitters. That could be part of the problem. Cheap isn't always good. Also, what coax are you using to go to the various Tv's?

Yes, you can purchase a RF amplifier (booster) for cable signals. Available for a $20 bucks or less everywhere on the internet.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #6

The coax cable is the junk that is in the walls. I'm close to getting good reception, cause if I disconnect one the other 2 are great. My ignorant question was will the internal booster designed for the antennae(that I bypassed ) work for CABLE TV?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #7

FYI The three tv outputs were already in trailer new. I just bypassed the antennae booster and improved signal greatly (and no, the booster was not on).

Only 2 tvs in use at a time, third is outside connection
Old 09-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
Site Team

The answer is NO. The supplied booster is actually a signal amplifier that is built into the antenna. Power is supplied via the supply on the wall outlet via the small button. Before you do anything, shut the amp off via the button. Connect the cable to the cable in connection on the outside of the TT. Reconnect the main TV and try it. If this still doesn't work add a small cable amp in between the cable from the park and the cable in on the outside of the TT.

Edit: Unless you went into the wall and changed the connections on the supplied splitter, you may not have bypassed the existing antenna system.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

So how are you feeding the junk coax that's in the walls? Sounds like you are backfeeding something. It will not work that way.

Can you post a photo or draw a diagram of your connections?

Every one of these things are different. We are trying to help but basically guessing without knowing all the facts.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #10

right above the main tv is the signal booster/splitter for antennae and cable. Its a tiny dual input single output junky thing. I turned off the power, left antennae connection on it. Took the main cable input that was up there, added a splitter. Then sent one leg of that splitter to main tv, the other to another splitter. One leg then goes to outside tv, other to tv in rear room. All internal wiring is factory. The little amp with green light is bypassed. If it is the same for either antennae or cable, I was going to run initial cable into it for a boost?

I can always just add a booster, was just seeing if I could use what I have. It varies with time of day as to how many channels I get. I think it is load on system.. Large RV park with 150 trialers
Old 09-20-2017, 07:26 PM   #11

I guess my main question is this....is a signal booster a signal booster for all video or are the videos different between antennae and cable?
Old 09-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
I guess my main question is this....is a signal booster a signal booster for all video or are the videos different between antennae and cable?
They are different. Think frequency differences.

My home cable system has a two way splitter with one line going to the cable modem and the other going to an "amplifier" which feeds eight outlets. If I remove power from the amplifier there is a noticeable reduction in signal quality at all outlets.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #13

I do believe that any cable signal will not work with the antenna booster on.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #14
Just as confused as you

Make sure you have the right 2-way splitter. Not all 2-way splinters will work for cable tv signal. The splitter that my cable guy put in to split for living room tv and bedroom tv was labled for 1000 mhz.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #15

Some cable TV companies are still using analog channels but most have converted to all digital services. If they are all digital they are probably using the highers frequencies on the cable system. You must have a 1 Ghz (1000 Mhz) splitter in most cases. If you want to have 3 outlets you will probably need to purchase a cable TV Amplifier. Amazon does have a few if you do a search. Campground signals are usually designed for a lower signal level (about 25 percent of a home) at each outlet so it will not over power the television receiver itself and drive it into distortion. The built in amp in the camper is designed for off air reception and not cable TV.
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Trying to clarify to those who are not understanding the function of the "built in amp".

It is a power injector which when the switch is turned on (LED lit), it disconnects the cable input and connects the antenna input. Then sends power through the antenna coax to the amplifier built inside the antenna head mounted on the roof. Then you have to select menu on your tv and select air input (over air, antenna input or whatever term the tv manufacturer uses), then do a channel scan on the tv. You will have to do the channel scan every time you move your RV to a new area (campground, etc)

When the switch is off (LED off), it shuts off the power injector, disconnects the roof antenna and connects the cable input so the cable signal passes to your tv. The first time you use the cable input you have to select the menu for the tv and select cable in as the input on the television and then do a scan on your tv for cable channels. You will have to do a cable channel scan every time you move your RV if you change the cable tv provider.

Remember, campgrounds are not always using the same cable service or over the air markets.

As for some cable providers still using analog, the 1 GHz (1000 MHz) should still work. Another thing about splitters is that both outputs are not usually the same dB gain. One is usually a higher dB than the other. You can get multi-output splitters that connect 3 or more tv's. These splitters sometimes have a different dB for each output.

Example: I have a 4-way 1GHz splitter in my house. Each output is -10dB. Also I have a 8-way that I used before I bought a Smart TV that has 1x -20dB, 1x -15dB, 2x -10dB and 4x -5dB outputs. If you leave any output disconnected you may have to put a terminating resistor on it to cut interference.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Lets be perfectly clear. The wall button is only a COAX switch and power supply; NOT a booster of any kind.

The actual over the air signal amplifier is actually built into the roof antenna.

The 12 volt direct current voltage "rides" on the COAX that goes to the roof to feed that amplifier. It does not effect the signal quality because it is DC and not RF (alternating current and voltage signal).

If you want to boost your cable signal to all TVs you need to access the "SET2" output on the back side of the wall switch and install the inline amplifier there.

I suggest an amp like this:

Monster 24dB Gain Signal Amplifier (140065-00) - Save 25% on HDMI Cables & Accessories - Ace Hardware

Make sure you connect the wall plate output to the input on the amplifier.
Obviously you will need to take it out (or use it on an inverter circuit) if you are Boondocking since it needs AC to work (just like the TV).

Also BE SURE to terminate any unused cable outlets with a 72 ohm terminator (also called a Balun) to avoid signal loss. (see picture)

Scrapper - sorry; we were working on our posts at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard wall plate rear.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	152211  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 24 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #18

Just for reference I had to replace every coaxial connection that Forest River installed including the one at the antenna. Always use professional connectors and the proper procedure for installing. I acquired mine at my previous job (retired now). Never use the twist in connectors because they will fail eventually.
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, antennae, cable