Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #1

Cable TV help needed -2011 Forrest River 340RL

Hi! I've searched the forum and haven't found my exact problem. I just got a 2011 Sierra (by Forest River) 340RL. I stay in it in an RV park. I have to pay for my own cable through the local cable company(Suddenlink). Thus I have 2 cable boxes. One for the bedroom and one for the living room. I hooked the tv and cable box up in the bedroom, which is where the cable/sat/antenna booster is(the white plate with two hookups with the black button on it) and I can watch tv.. everything works like it should. In the living room... I have two coax cables coming out of the entertainment center, a white one and a grey one. I believe the grey one to be for satellite and the white one to be cable. I've tried both and all my cable box displays on the tv screen is "Searching for signal." So I know I have the tv set up and on the right channel. I went to the bedroom and unscrewed the signal booster(I'm sorry I don't know the proper name for it) with the sat and cable hookups on it and checked the connections.... on the back side. It has 4 coax screwed into the back of it. A grey one screwed into the the one labeled satellite, a black one(I believe is for the antenna) an orange(I think is input from outside) and a white one. I took the cable box from the living room(where I'm not getting any signal) to the bedroom and hooked it up (using the cables on the cable box that I would be using in the living room) and it worked just fine. I've looked all over the inside of the trailer for another cable/sat/signal booster plate, but I can not find one. I've taken the fireplace out and looked behind it... took the tv off the wall mount and nothing there. The entertainment center is in the corner of the slide and there is space behind the TV but it is inaccessible due to the entertainment center "wall" that the tv is mounted to. Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong or any idea how to fix or where I might look?
blyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #2

I had the same problem, could not get a signal in the living room to the tv, i believe there is a splitter connection some where in the trailer and it will not allow power to travel from my sat. receiver to operate my tailgater sat. dish. I suppose you have a sat. dish and not a tailgater dish. You can email or call forest river and ask for drawings showing your sat. wiring syatem. Tjhis is what I did.
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #3

thanks Gee Whiz... I'm on suddenlink cable with a cable box in bedroom and living room. I'm not on dish.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I got your PM.

The wall plate is a signal input switcher as well as roof antenna pre-amp power supply. The switch must be off (as you found out) to get cable from the TV output on the face plate. The aux output on the faceplate is a "home run" cable from the outside satellite input.

The back output goes to a signal splitter that goes to the other TV sets in the camper. This allows the roof and cable signals to play on all TVs in the camper.

If something has come disconnected at the signal splitter, (or the rear of the wall plate in the other locations), you will not get roof or coax signals at that TV.

I also attached the manual for the wall plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard wall plate rear.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	41286  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 54 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #5

Thanks herk7769. What you show in the pics is exactly what I have and I pulled the plate off and it all appears to be hooked up properly and connections are tight. The cable that is connected to "set 2" is the same as the cable coming from the wall in the living room... has the same type "fitting" and is same color. I only have two tv's and I believe this 5th wheel was only built to support 2 tv's. I wouldn't think it would need a splitter in line anywhere if that's the case.. but I'm not an rv builder either. I have no wall plates anywhere else other than the bedroom. None that I have found anyway... I used a flashlight and mirror to look through a hole in the entertainment center to hit the ceiling to see if there was something up there.. but nothing. Thanks again.. for your input.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #6

Make sure you have the antenna booster off (button out, no light). Assuming you've done that, try removing the white cable off of the "Set 2" port and connect your cable box directly to that Set 2 port. If that works them you know there is nothing wrong with the "booster control".

If that works, look at the fittings on each end of that white cable (bedroom and living room). If you don't see anything wrong there, it would be good if you could put a continuity checker of some sort on that wire to make sure it's the same wire and that it hasn't been cut somewhere along the way.

It may be that they put a staple in the wire.

One more question? Do you get off-the-air TV stations on both TVs when the antenna booster is on?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #7

Thanks Barry...... I have the button right..... that was going to be my next thing.. pull the cable off of set 2 and hook to cable box.... However I just called my cable provider and they said that they need to send a tech out to "activate" the line... I asked what that consisted of and she said they hook a machine to that cable and activate it. Whatever the heck that is...idk. She had me hook up the cable directly to the tv to see if I got basic cable(which I didn't know you could do that, I thought you had to have a cable box, but she said if you have service... you will get basic cable without a cable box) and I did and I am getting some basic channels. The tech says that's what I need. Doesn't make any sense to me, but who am I... lol... Tech can't come until tomorrow..ugh... We will see.. and I'll report back. Does anybody know if that sounds right.. "activating the line" ?
Old 10-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #8

Do they know that "the line" is working on one TV and just not the other one?

They might need to activate the box, but they can normally do that remotely.

If you have "basic cable" on both TVs without the box, then I'd say there is nothing wrong with your wiring.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #9

Yes.. I specifically told(more than once) the tech that one is working and the other is not. I guess I'm gonna find out..
Old 10-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

If you plug the living room TV into the "face" lower output labeled "TV" that is wall plate outlet "TV1" and the one in the "back" output is TV2.

Remove the wall plate and remove the cable on TV2.

Plug your cable box into the TV2 coming out the back and see if the living room cable TV box still works.

If it does, the wall plate is good and your problem is in the wiring.

The most likely culprit is the wire F2 connectors. Don't forget the wall plate in the bedroom ALSO has a wire connector on the back!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #11

Thanks Herk! The tech from the cable company came out and put a meter on the cable and the signal was very poor(probably due to a splitter, which has been mentioned before) On the back of my 5th wheel I have 3 inputs for coax 2 separate inputs for satellite and one for park cable. Being that my entertainment center is at the rear of the trailer I suspected/hoped that there was no splitter on the cable labeled "satellite" for that TV. Out of desperation I suggested that we check that cable and see how signal was, which he did and it was good. So I asked if it was possible to, on the outside inputs on the trailer, to jump the park cable and satellite inputs using a splitter. To make the rest of this short, the tech was like yeah... that should work and it did and that's what I got. Kind of rigged up but not bad... it works and I don't have any new holes in the trailer or cable running through a window and across the floors so I'm happy. Thanks for everybody's input and help. I appreciate it.