Old 03-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #1

Camera antenna extension

I need to extend the antenna on my wireless observation camera for my 40ft Cardinal. Where can I get 40 or 50 ft of cord and what kind do I need?

The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:26 AM   #2

That would likely depend on the type of camera you have.

A few suggestions first. Make sure the antenna on your camera is pointing straight up and down, no tilt to it as it throws the signal in a circle around the antenna. If it's tilted back, it's shooting the signal well over the front of your tow vehicle.

Second, you may look at putting an better antenna with a magnetic base on top of your tow vehicle with an extension cord as that will be much easier than putting one on your RV roof and running cord. Look for a little higher db rating but not too high. The higher the db, the more range they have but a narrower beam they throw so you don't want a super high rating. something around 10db would be my first try.

Let us know what kind of camera you have and I bet we can find some easier solutions than what your considering.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
That would likely depend on the type of camera you have.

Second, you may look at putting an better antenna with a magnetic base on top of your tow vehicle with an extension cord as that will be much easier than putting one on your RV roof and running cord. Look for a little higher db rating but not too high. The higher the db, the more range they have but a narrower beam they throw so you don't want a super high rating. something around 10db would be my first try.
I saw a magnetic antenna on Amazon but didn't realize it was for the tow vehicle. I'll try that first. Thanks ~ Teresa
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #4

Here's a 30' extension cord that will fit most camera antenna's.

https://www.amazon.com/SaferCCTV-Ext...-3&tag=mh0b-20

If you also get a "bulkhead connector" like one of these you can build a remote antenna mount out of a piece of flat aluminum. Drill hole, install bulkhead connector, attach cable on one side and the antenna that used to be mounted on the camera on the top. Fasten new mount to side of AC cover, or just bend metal into a Z shape and fasten to roof where you want it.

Amazon has pretty much what you need. The camera antenna's are the same as what Wifi routers use.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna