Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #1

Can't find sat on slim 5 directv dish

Bought a slim 5 dish to watch some tv while camping and yet to get a signal. I was able to get reception while parked infront of my home using the iphone app Dish Align and I pick Directv 5 lnb but darn after 1 hour if I could find a signal. we are at el capitan in goleta, ca and it shows the coordinates to be 34.6n, 120 W and 134, but non of that produced a signal. I bought this sat because I have I have a Genie but I took just one of our other receivers and not the genie itself.

I made sure that the tripod is almost perfectly leveled it's off by .5.
Another thing that frustraits me is that after 10 minutes the receiver goes into reboot mode, so I have to wait 10 more minutes before it come back.

What am I missing?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #2

you need to get you a good sat meter. Best way to get those slim HD dishes tuned in... also may want to look into a tripod that has height adjustment on each leg. Like a surveyors tripod... good luck

textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

Back at it again and darn if I could get this thing to give me a signal. Forgot to mention Do I need to plug the ODU in? I remember that the only time it worked I did not have the ODU in? But I did have it in at first then when I removed it I got a signal again that was when I was parked in front of my house and I copied the exact specs of my mounted dish.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #4

Does this dish use SWM?
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #5

I also have Directv and take one of my receivers from the house when I go camping. To get mine to work, I have to change the setting from SWM to multiswitch. I hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #6

Yes the Dish uses SWM

Oh Great Idea I bet that's how we got it to work the first time. I'll try that next to see if it works.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #7

Okay finally after many many hours I compared the silly app on my iphone with http://www.dishpointer.com/ and found dishpointer super accurate and I just used the app on my iphone to find satellite 101 and within 5 minutes it worked perfectly. Although I had sat 93 at about 75% it said not working, but I didn't care and all the channel's I like came in, in great HD. I did have to insure it's almost perfectly level with 1.0 and switched the setup in the receiver menu to slim-5 and multi-switch.

It looks like many many people are having the same problem, I must have had 4 people stop and asked me about how hard it was.

Thank you all.