Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

can't get picture from roof antenna

I am a newbie to this site so apologize if this question has already been answered. I have a new (to me) 2009 Rockwood 8315 BSS and am installing a new and larger tv. I have been able to connect satellite input and run it through the stereo for good sound, no problem; have also been able to set up the DVD which works well. Problem comes in with getting a signal from the roof antenna. It is up and properly directed toward local tv stations. I see the coax output labeled Tv with button beside it to turn on amplifier, understand that with light on I should get antenna reception, with light off should get cable (haven't tried as using dish satellite). Have connected that to my tv but no reception, tried auto scan etc. Wonder if I should be connecting to the other faceplate right behind the tv? This is a Concertone LCD wall plate and has four connections (antenna, 12v, video, and tv audio) Am using only the video cable to get DVD, not using any of the other. What is the antenna connection for? , 12V? and tv audio? Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you. Roger
alpine skiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #2

When you do the scan, make sure your TV is set for "air" instead of "cable" first. I would think you should be connecting your TV coax to the jack on the switch/amplifier control (but I'm not familiar with your rig).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #3

Unhappy

Thanks for prompt response, have checked those things, every connection, still just not getting even a fuzzy picture, am convinced it's something in the way I have it connected. Does anyone know what those other plugs are for in the concertone LCD faceplate....antenna?, dc? tv audio?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You may need to start tracing back to the antennae for signal. I had a similar problem with my 2008 Surveyor. I rigged a jumper between the antennae and the booster faceplate, and got a good signal all of the way to the separate faceplate at the TV. The only other connection that I knew of between the antennae and the booster was where the coaxial goes through the roof. I disconnected there, and the inner wire had corroded away. I cut and stripped the wire, installed a new fitting, and still nothing at the TV. Ended up pulling the microwave out to get to the inside connection......that middle wire was corroded also. Again cut and stripped the cable, reinstalled, and I have had a great signal since.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #5

Did the TV you are replacing work? Is the trailer in a barn or outside in open air? I have a 2009 8306 SS so i would imagine hookups are similiar. My connections are pretty straightforward. Barry is correct, my TV is hooked up to TV coax that is on plate mounted to wall. It is not hooked up to the coax plug that has the antenna booster on it.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #6

Thanks for response, I never tried other tv as just wanted a larger one. I am out in driveway where I would think a good signal would come through, Even if it is not good, shouldn't I at least get a fuzzy screen that suggests SOMETHING is coming through? I have connected with both antenna and cable co-ax connections, with and without amplifier on. After about two days working on this, maybe should just be happy I have a good working satellite system! Still don't know what those plugs are for behind tv on wall....antenna, dc, and tv audio???? Thanks all for your help
Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #7

Tell us the Concertone model you have (not the wall plate) and I can probably tell you the rest.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #8

It was mentioned above but I will mention it again. Are you on "air" on the tv? Menu to antenna settings.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #9

I have definitely tried both the air and cable settings, model of unit is zx600. Thanks for responding...Roger. I'm wondering if the antenna signal has to go through the zx600 before reaching the tv, if so maybe I don't have the right zx600 setting or connection.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I would connect the TV coaxial cable directly into the booster wall faceplate for starters. If you can't get signal there, I doubt you will get signal through the zx600.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #11

still working on, thanks for all the good ideas