Old 09-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #1

Can't get surround sound with the TV

We have a ZX600 Concertone. The surround sound is great with the dvd and radio. We have also plugged in our DVR from home in the panel under the cabinet and the surround sound is great. We can't get the TV to do surround sound.

Does the Concertone act as a tuner for the TV or does the TV send the audio to the Concertone?

In addition-our Weingard entertainment unit was wired wrong when we got our fifth wheel. Is it possible it's wired wrong?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #2

That is very possible. I have the 5.1 surround and the 22" Venturer HDTV, and the Concertone ZX 600. The TV is tuned and operated as a separate component than the Concertone...EXCEPT for the sound output, which is controlled by the Concertone. I put ours on AV 1 or 2, I can't remember which, and the sound is actually coming from the TV, as well as the surround speakers. The back of the TV has a headphone jack type plug in from the Conc. to the TV, which is where it gets the sound signal from. You can control the volume from BOTH remotes, as well. They make the thing kind of complicated for us campers, I think! Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Grape Escape

You won't get surround sound from normal t v broadcasts. I believe tv tuner is in the concertone unit. Need dvd with surround sound coding or digital tv broadcast that has it.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #4

Hi dezolen, mine gets sound to all 5 speakers in the living area no matter what I'm listening to....whether it be the radio, TV, or DVD. Also, at least with my setup, the Venturer TV most definitely has the TV tuner in it. I can operate the TV separately-(concertone off), and still change channels, volume, power, virtually all TV functions with the TV's remote. I cannot however get any sound, UNLESS I remove the plugged in headphone jack behind the TV, then sound is provided by the TV's built in left and right speakers. I have the ZX 600 concertone unit. Randy
Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Grape Escape

It makes sense that you do not get sound from TV if headphone jack has something plugged into it as that is the reason it is called a headphone jack. Would not make sense to have sound from TV when private listening is required.
I guess tv changed as my Rockwood only used a monitor for picture and tuner was only on Concertone.
Dolby surround uses seperate signals for each speaker so I wonder if one gets true surround sound from radio and regular TV shows. One wonders, as both my Forest River units were wired incorrectly and I now use a true surround sound LG receiver as Concertone does not work anymore
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #6

I know how to get surrround sound now-

Thanks for all your help. After several e-mails to concertone (mostly useless) we now have a way to get surround sound. It appears that the concertone unit doesn't recognize the digital stations (2.3, 31.1, etc.) We took the TV off the wall and found the audio output jacks. We are just going to run an audio output line from the TV to the input 1 jack on the concertone. I'm also going to run a few more input lines to the TV while I have it off the wall (have you all discovered internet TV yet? Hulu is great!)

The whole sound system design is pretty awful. But we found a way to work with it.

Thanks for your help-
Old 09-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #7

i believe someone on here said that if you hook rca (red ,yellow,white) plugs from TV into the jack for vcr or games tv will play through the speaker other than that you have to select TV on your concertone and maybe you will find some of the channel but with digital TV now you may not
Old 09-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #8

That's correct, dezolen. When my headphone jack plug-in is plugged into the Concertone input, the TV's built in speakers are not on. You are correct. But I'm assuming that this is how the TV tuner's sound is transferred to the concertone system's speakers. I find no other plug in's on the back. Also, the TV while watching TV, comes out of all 5 cabin speakers in stereo, yes, but not 5.1 surround sound. I have however experienced the surround sound capabilities on some DVD"s played on the concertone. It will say it on the case, and it does work, that way. No 5.1 surround with broadcasted TV, that I can find. Randy