Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #1

Carbon Monoxide detector problem

I have a 2011 Surveyor SV264. The last time we went camping my CO detector beeped indicating it needed a new battery. I replaced the battery with a brand new one. It still is beeping one beep every 30 seconds or so. I have blown it out vaccumed the unit as recommended in the manuel nothing seems to work. Do I just need to repace it and if so do i need to get it from my dealer? Or will one from Home Depot or Lowes work?
aujmr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

My CO detector is a CoStar Model 9RV.

It is installed on the ceiling.

Per the manual:

Use ONLY Alkaline batteries in the detector.
The unit will fault if you do not.

Was the battery "fresh"?
Old 9V batteries will also cause a low battery fault.

LOW BATTERY WARNING - chirp every 30 seconds Normal operation and red LED (Flash every 30 seconds)

FAULT CONDITION - Red LED flashes and it Chirps every 30 seconds.
Replace CO detector immediately

If defective, Call Quantum Group Customer Service at 1-800-432-5599
Even if not under warranty, they might give you good will pricing

Warranty - 2 years no questions - no charge -> 6 years - repair or replace at the MANUFACTURERS cost.

OR Replace with a LOWES or Home Depot unit, but it will cost you A LOT more than the manufacturers cost would be.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #3

I used a new Duracell battery. I have the same brand co detector as you. I think it is just defective.
aujmr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #4

News Link to Channel 5 Nashville, TN. This news article is about a bill that is going before Tennessee State Legislature. It is in reference to the 5 peole who died after breathing carbon monoxide. The travel trailer was rented, the batteries had been removed from the detector.

Carbon Monoxide Deaths In Clarksville Inspire New Law - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #5

Co detector on the ceiling?
I think it is suppose to be near the floor to work. Otherwise you could be dead befote it goes off!
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #6

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a silent killer and is a lethal gas that is all too often present in high volume within our homes. Opinions vary regarding the best place to mount a carbon monoxide detector. It may seem logical to simply plug-in your CO detector at the nearest power source available, namely a floor level wall socket, but ground level is going to be the wrong answer. Choosing an inefficient or ineffective location to mount a carbon monoxide detector is a common mistake many home owners often make. Here are a few simple things to keep in mind to keep your household safe from the dangers of CO poisoning.
The chemical properties of CO are such that it is slightly lighter than air, meaning in a stable environment with little cross-breeze CO will generally collect from the top down in a closed room. For this reason the first thing to consider when you mount a carbon monoxide detector is relative height compared to ground level. The best bet is to mount your carbon monoxide detector on the ceiling just like you would with a typical smoke detector.
Keep your CO detector mounted away from bathrooms, laundry rooms, or any other area that gets more humid than the rest of the house. Humidity interferes with the internal working of most CO detectors. Also be sure to mount a carbon monoxide detector at between ten to twelve feet away from any gas power appliances or cooking devices. Having a carbon monoxide detector mounted near these areas may give a false positive alarm and cause undue wear-and-tear to your device, not to mention wear-an-tear on your nerves. Garages are also another source of many false alarms automobiles moving in and out and laundry appliances usually installed here. Garages are often too cold for proper operation in areas of the country that experience extended cold temperatures.
No matter how big or small your home may be, it is always best to install more than one device in the event either one fails to successfully alarm if CO reaches dangerous levels. A good general guideline is to have one device per level of your home, including the basement, or no less than two devices in a one-story dwelling. Always mount CO detectors near bedrooms or areas where you may often sleep, like family rooms or lounge areas. The idea here is to get woken up when the alarm sounds.
When you mount your carbon monoxide detector, take your time and think about how CO is likely to accumulate within your home. Also be mindful of where placement will most likely alert you if the danger threshold is reached. With these things in mind your family will sleep safe from the dangers of CO poisoning.

Joel Henderson is passionate about safety within the home. You can read more about detectors carbon monoxide []Business profile for detectorscarbonmonoxide.com provided by Network Solutions at DetectorsCarbonMonoxide.com []Business profile for detectorscarbonmonoxide.com provided by Network Solutions.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4862552

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

After thinking about this incident, I bought another detector the other day. I am new to to the TT after moving up from a PUP. I checked my other detectors and got to wondering about an additional one. I placed it at the same height as the factory mounted one in the bedroom. I found a location and mounted it in the right rear corner of my Puma 25RS, away from the kitchen area, above the couch.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Co detector on the ceiling?
I think it is suppose to be near the floor to work. Otherwise you could be dead befote it goes off!
That's the propane detector that needs to be near the floor, as propane is heavier than air. CO and Natural gas is lighter.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Had to replace my CO Detector last Spring. You may want to check but the ones at HD, Lowes and Wally World are not rated to be used in an unconditioned space such as a RV. They aren't designed for the Cold or Extreme heat that an RV is subject to. If it's not being used the inside temps can reach over 110 degrees in the sun and whatever the outdoor temps reach in the fall at night. Although made by the same companies there's a difference including price.

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore...like/id87.html

http://www.firstalert.com/faqs/co-al...oxide-detector

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote