Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #1

Cardinal - bedroom thermostat for furnace

2018 Cardinal 3350RL

My bedroom Dometic thermostat has modes for AC or Furnace. However, it does not control the furnace.
Is there anyone with a Cardinal who can control his/her Furnace from the front thermostat?

Thanks
Daniellekristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #2

Sorry I cant help. I was hoping to figure out while I have two thermostats next to each other in the hall? They are right next to each other. A/C it makes sense I guess I have two units. Heat I would think two thermostats would confuse it? good luck.

( I would think if your other thermostat was off that your bathroom one would run the heat)
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #3

Don't have a Cardinal, but I have yet to hear of a unit with two furnaces. Thus, only one thermostat controls it. I have just one thermostat, but two zones. Zone 2 has no 'furnace' option, only Zone 1 does.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #4

I have one thermostat in the living room (rear) which has three mode: AC (rear), Furnace, and Heat Pump (which is just the AC unit in the rear). All 3 modes work.

I also have a thermostat in bedroom (front) with two modes. AC (front) and furnace. I think it is supposed to control the same Furnace as the other thermostat. But it doesn’t. Don’t know why.

I only mention this topic as it would be great to have the Rear thermostat set for Heat Pump at 65F on a cold night. And the front thermostat set to Furnace with a setpoint if 58F. That way if the ambient (outside) temperature drops below 30F and shuts down the Heat Pump (as all Heat Pumps do) then I would at least have some form of back-up Heat in the House. We woke the other day and it was 24F outside and 41F inside.
Daniellekristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:43 AM   #5

we have a different model cardinal and have the same issue. the thermostat in the bedroom, where the furnace is located has 4 settings: fan, a/c, heat pump, furnace. but the furnace mode does not turn the furnace on. the thermostat in the kitchen has three modes: fan, a/c, furnace. you control the furnace by using this thermostat.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #6

Thermostat in Bedroom

Probably there in the event you upgrade to a heat pump in the bedroom.
safrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #7

I have a 2016 Cardinal 3450RL. My two thermostats work just as Chickdoe's.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Anyone care to post the model # of the thermostats in question?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #9

Sorry, my trailer is currently covered with snow. I can't get at the thermostat in the main cabin as the slides are in, and its too cold to go out and mess with the cover to get inside anyway.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #10

I have the same problem. Control with cool, heat pump and furnace in living room. Control with cool and furnace in bedroom. Can not control furnace from bedroom.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180221_175702.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	163053

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180221_175756.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	163054
Kwralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:29 PM   #11

i'm doing this by looking at pictures on-line. our trailer is in storage, covered, and waiting for the snow to come (yippee).

dometic model 3313189.049 - this is in our bedroom with an a/c on the roof with an internal heat pump. the furnace is also in the bedroom. the four modes on the thermostat are fan, a/c, furnace, and heat pump. the furnace mode does nothing. the heat pump mode activates the heat pump within the a/c on the roof.

dometic model 3313189.015 - this is in the kitchen. it controls an a/c on the roof that does not have the heat pump option. to activate the furnace in the bedroom you need to set the temperature on this thermostat.

also note that the furnace in the bedroom has ducts that run throughout the trailer. how effective those ducts are is another discussion.

I kinda figured they did this for a reason. if you want some heat in the bedroom you could go to the bedroom thermostat and activate the heat pump mode. if you want some heat in the front of the trailer (our is a rear bedroom model) we first activate the electric heater inside the electric fireplace. if is somewhat rare for us to actually turn on the propane heater. then again, getting the trailer heated while we are in Arizona is not usually a priority. I figured they only hooked the furnace up to one thermostat as there would probably be some form of problem or interplay if they had is hooked up to the furnace mode of both of them. something like you could have one set to the a/c cool mode on one and to the furnace mode on the other. by wiring it to only one thermostat you would not be able to run the a/c and furnace at the same time. just thoughts, I do not know for sure
Old 02-21-2018, 09:04 PM   #12

My thermostats are the same as kwralph's. His photos jogged my memory, but I don't know the model numbers.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #13
Site Team

Just because there's a selection for furnace on those thermostats doesn't mean that they're actually hooked to a furnace. You don't want both thermostats trying to control the same furnace. They will tend to fight each other at times and that's not good.

They could be installed so that you could choose either, but RV mfg's aren't going to spend that $5 and time to install it one the few units that could use it.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #14

We have a 2350 with the same set up, the bedroom thermostat has me confused all the time, can't figure out how to run both AC units at the same time, for as long as I want. (I want it cold in the bedroom when I want it cold in the bedroom.)
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #15

Generally the rear thermostat will control the furnace. Front thermostat is for ac only even though they have the furnace switch it will not control the furnace. Ran into same issue with Silverback!
CCSILVERBACKBJANDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #16

I don't have two thermostats, I have one and it has 2 zones. Zone 1 is entire coach, zone 2 is bedroom. Zone 1 has off, fan, ac, heat pump, furnace and auto. Zone 2 has off, fan and ac. I can and have run zone 1 on heat pump or furnace and zone 2 on ac.

Why would you do this, you ask. I can not sleep if I am hot, so I set zone 2 ac to come on when it gets to 70, and zone 1 heat pump or furnace is set to keep the rest at 68. There is a separate temp sensor in bedroom. I only have it set up that way in spring and fall.

I also have 3 a.c. units with the heat pump on the main one. All 3 are ducted together. Ac 1 (rear) and 2 (mid) are on zone 1 and ac 3 (front) is on zone 2.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #17
"On the road again"

Our Cardinal 3456RL has three thermostats - bedroom, plus kitchen and living room (for the three AC units). The rear (Living Room) thermostat controls furnace and heat pump plus that AC and fan. The others only operate those specific AC units plus the fan.

The kitchen and bedroom both indicate furnace, but you can set it as high as you wish and it never turns on the furnace. Makes sense I guess, since you might get one set on 71 and another set on 66 and that would create a conflict.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Our Cardinal 3456RL has three thermostats - bedroom, plus kitchen and living room (for the three AC units). The rear (Living Room) thermostat controls furnace and heat pump plus that AC and fan. The others only operate those specific AC units plus the fan.

The kitchen and bedroom both indicate furnace, but you can set it as high as you wish and it never turns on the furnace. Makes sense I guess, since you might get one set on 71 and another set on 66 and that would create a conflict.

Our Blueridge only has one actual heater but also has the same 2 thermostats, I think it is just for convenience for them so they don’t have to carry two different thermostats.
Okie Dokie 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, cardinal, furnace, roo, thermostat