Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Engineer of Crazy Train

CaTV, OTA, and Winegard Questions

Back when I use to camp in the 90s at local race tracks, things seemed much more simple. Well, installing my Television in my Roo, I have a few questions.

First off, I had to undo what the previous owner had done. All the coax from the Winegard faceplate were removed, and he extended one of them out to where he had the TV. Opening a few cabinets, I was able to trace which went where.

I see on the winegard, there are 3 places to connect coax on the board - Antenna, Cable, and TV #2. I reconnected everything fine, with TV #2 being my primary TV because I don't want a wire exposed. Everything works great with OTA (Over the air) reception.

Now, my question is, when I hook up to park's CaTV, does the TV pick up both OTA and the CaTV signal? Does it automatically switch? Should I use the SAT cable instead with an A/B Switch? I tried looking for answers on the Winegard Site, but seems like they have a newer product out called the Sensar Pro that has a mode switch between OTA and Park Cable.

Thanks
Matt

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Back when I use to camp in the 90s at local race tracks, things seemed much more simple. Well, installing my Television in my Roo, I have a few questions.

First off, I had to undo what the previous owner had done. All the coax from the Winegard faceplate were removed, and he extended one of them out to where he had the TV. Opening a few cabinets, I was able to trace which went where.

I see on the winegard, there are 3 places to connect coax on the board - Antenna, Cable, and TV #2. I reconnected everything fine, with TV #2 being my primary TV because I don't want a wire exposed. Everything works great with OTA (Over the air) reception.

Now, my question is, when I hook up to park's CaTV, does the TV pick up both OTA and the CaTV signal? Does it automatically switch? Should I use the SAT cable instead with an A/B Switch? I tried looking for answers on the Winegard Site, but seems like they have a newer product out called the Sensar Pro that has a mode switch between OTA and Park Cable.

Thanks
Matt
No, its manual- Connect cable to one side of A/B switch and the amplified antennae on the other side. Output to the exisiting Winn card. Switch by hand A-B and turn off amplifier when using cable. Turn on amp for Ota signal.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #3

I don't know why you would need an AB switch. Put the CaTV into the "cable" input on the Winegard control. When the Winegard amp is on (light) you get OTA. When it's off, you get CaTV.

If your TV doesn't have an HDMI input for the Sat receiver, you might want to use an AB switch to change the Winegard "cable" input from CaTV to Sat-receiver modulator output, but hopefully you don't have to do that.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I don't know why you would need an AB switch. Put the CaTV into the "cable" input on the Winegard control. When the Winegard amp is on (light) you get OTA. When it's off, you get CaTV.
Great and many thanks. That is what I need to know.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Barry is right on.

The wall plate "button" not only routes power to the roof antenna amp; it switches between the two inputs (Antenna/Cable) at the same time.

Powered -> Roof
UNpowered -> Cable

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote