Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #1

caulk removal on rubber roof

Got extra ac on roof and roof vent removed but the caulking is a beast to get it all off. Does anyone have any suggestions on removing what is left? i got most off with putty knife but do not want to cut or tear roof. Instructions says to caulk or seal each hole that held the roof vent but it looks like the ac gasket is going to cover them. Thanks
scott_silverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_silverside View Post
Got extra ac on roof and roof vent removed but the caulking is a beast to get it all off. Does anyone have any suggestions on removing what is left? i got most off with putty knife but do not want to cut or tear roof. Instructions says to caulk or seal each hole that held the roof vent but it looks like the ac gasket is going to cover them. Thanks
Several things that I would suggest.
1. get a plastic scraper with plastic razor blades. I found mine online. This way you are less likely to damage your roof.
2. get a good heat gun with low heat setting. I have use this also to get caulking off.
3. Get some Goop-off (spelling) this stuff is good if you go by the directions. I am sure that others on here will have more suggestions.

I would also suggest that you use Dicor self-leveling caulking when you go back to reseal and also that you use EternaBond White Roof Seal tape. I have already stopped several leaks on my trailer using these items and we are now redoing one of my brothers camper where the "Factory" sealed it up. Be sure to take your time and get the surface clean and properly prepped.

Good Luck,

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota EV View Post
Several things that I would suggest.
1. get a plastic scraper with plastic razor blades. I found mine online. This way you are less likely to damage your roof.
2. get a good heat gun with low heat setting. I have use this also to get caulking off.
3. Get some Goop-off (spelling) this stuff is good if you go by the directions. I am sure that others on here will have more suggestions.

I would also suggest that you use Dicor self-leveling caulking when you go back to reseal and also that you use EternaBond White Roof Seal tape. I have already stopped several leaks on my trailer using these items and we are now redoing one of my brothers camper where the "Factory" sealed it up. Be sure to take your time and get the surface clean and properly prepped.

Good Luck,
Well the AC unit has its own gasket so I am thinking by the instructions it says nothing about adding any Dicor. I just need to get the Dicor off that is left on the roof where the vent was.
scott_silverside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk, roo, roof