Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #1

Cell booster system

We're new to RVing, so I'd like to see if someone has already tackled the 1st mod I'm going to undertake for our 2016 Forester 2401S. Sherry works from home, so I'm looking at installing weBoost 4G-X system in the RV to keep her "on the air" as we travel/camp.

Is there someone out there who has installed this type unit before? if so,

- where/how did you place the unit?
- where/how did you tap into 12V power? (unit comes with lighter plug-in power cord, but that limits placement options)
- where did you install antennas (external & internal) and how did you route external antenna wire?

To maximize signal, I also considering about using the larger RV-Trucker roof mount type antenna up on roof or high on side (position so antenna projects above roof). Anyone done this? if so, same basic questions on placement & cable routing.

Thanx in advance for any help you can offer!

John, Sherry & Mr. Socks the WonderDog
2016 Forester 2401S
the1murphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
Always Learning

I literally just ordered mine today as I'm at a park that has extremely spotty cellular service, so take it for what it is worth.

1) I plan on having a "tech" shelf above my cabinets. This will house my cellular wifi hotspots, cellular booster, and wifi booster. When I want my phone boosted, I'll have to put it down in/near there so that it is within range. I then use a Bluetooth handset for my phone. The only downside is I can't fiddle with my phone while on conference calls and stuff.

For it to work, you need your phone within 1' - 2' of your booster. For me, as I mentioned- this is a hassle and one that I would have liked to avoid. The weBoost 4G-RV boosts your whole rig's area. BUT, it comes at a compromise in that the antenna is directional; meaning you have to aim it when you get to your destination. I'm lazy and am all about minimizing my setup/breakdown for travel. And, the bigger downside - it's only available from Camping World (boo) and is backordered (extra boo).

The Maximum Signal Max Amp sports an omni-directional antenna and boosts your whole living space. But supposedly they have been "coming soon" for over a year now. I will very likely sell my 4G-X when this finally comes to market and is proven.

2) I am installing mine in a cabinet above the fridge. There are light fixtures up there or I'll be able to tap into the wiring for the fridge. I haven't cracked anything open to see. Temporarily, I'll put it as close to my single pair of 12v outlets as possible. Barring that, I'll opt for a 120v adapter of some sort. For all of my roof to living area transition, I plan on using the refrigerator vent (which sounds great in theory, but I don't actually know what that means!).

3) The roof antenna will be placed either very far forward on the rig or as far back as I can get it. I need to see how long their antenna cable is. The reason that I'm going backwards is that forwards will be my WiFi Ranger antenna for WiFi boosting.

4) For the trucker roof mount antenna- be careful with this. Some only boost voice and can actually degrade data performance. For me, data is almost more paramount than voice.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
CCRVOC

I just ordered the Weboost 4G-S Craddle together with the Maximum Signal 5 DB 13 inch Mag Mount External Cellular Antenna. I’ll mount the antenna to a metal plate on top of the Creek a minimum of 12 inches from my WiFi Elite antenna and run the cable into my commo cabinet. From there, the cradle will hold my jetpack while plugged into my WiFi Ranger Go2 Router. While on the road, I’ll take the craddle out of the Creek and use the rubber mag antenna (that came with the craddle) in the truck for my cell phone.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #4

Thanx for the ideas guys. I like the idea of a "tech shelf" & am now looking at potential locations for this. We are going to want the Wifi booster also, so it would be nice to locate these amps centrally while maintaining antenna separation. BTW, I did get some feedback direct from the WeBoost guys that the trucker antenna was voice-oriented w/limited data capabilities ... guess I'll stay with the mag base antenna & work options for installing a metal base for it to attach too (roof is fiberglass, so it'll need something like a metal disc/plate to mate up with). Again, thanx for responding ... it certainly helps a newbie get some forward momentum
the1murphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
Always Learning

I strongly recommend a one-year subscription to this site:
RV Mobile Internet Resource Center

They're "in the know". Great resource.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #6

I have never been a techie person...honestly just never cared.

Some people (unless working) encourage a non-functioning cell phone when camping..I would think. I know I do. Most of the calls I get are unwanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
.. when camping..
Remember, not all of us are "camping".
Old 09-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

I am interested in the results of how this works, I am camping... But I like to check the forums and load photos for friends and family to see when we are on the road. I'd love to have a way to make the signal a bit more in those spotty locations.

EPENDYDAD: What made you choose Weboost over say the Wilson unit? Any particular reasoning?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1murphman View Post
We're new to RVing, so I'd like to see if someone has already tackled the 1st mod I'm going to undertake for our 2016 Forester 2401S. Sherry works from home, so I'm looking at installing weBoost 4G-X system in the RV to keep her "on the air" as we travel/camp.

Is there someone out there who has installed this type unit before? if so,

- where/how did you place the unit?
- where/how did you tap into 12V power? (unit comes with lighter plug-in power cord, but that limits placement options)
- where did you install antennas (external & internal) and how did you route external antenna wire?

To maximize signal, I also considering about using the larger RV-Trucker roof mount type antenna up on roof or high on side (position so antenna projects above roof). Anyone done this? if so, same basic questions on placement & cable routing.

Thanx in advance for any help you can offer!

John, Sherry & Mr. Socks the WonderDog
2016 Forester 2401S
My MBS is an office on wheels as well so cheers to that!

Do you have the 4 port USB outlet mounted on the under cabinet of slide out, close to the drivers seat? If so, that has 12VDC powering it and I used that feed to install a 12VDC outlet right there for my Wilson 4G.

I placed my booster on the cab over cubby area just above the drivers seat and have the antenna cable fed out of the top of the cab over window.

Just above that area, on the roof, I mounted a square piece of thin sheet metal for the upgraded mag mount antenna. If your weboost does not have a magnetic antenna then the sheet metal won't be needed.

On the Wilson 4G, the indoor antenna is small, so I left it portable and it reaches the dinette and cab area, etc. It has Velcro so you can have multiple mounting points, if needed.

Great mod to go with, it is a must have for some of us.

Congrats and enjoy the new rig,

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I am interested in the results of how this works, I am camping... But I like to check the forums and load photos for friends and family to see when we are on the road. I'd love to have a way to make the signal a bit more in those spotty locations.

EPENDYDAD: What made you choose Weboost over say the Wilson unit? Any particular reasoning?
Just found this:
Starting in early February 2015, Wilson Electronics has rebranded as weBoost. weBoost is starting to create new products under the brand (such as the 4G-X), and have repackaged some of the tried & true Wilson Electronics products (such as the 4G-S and 4G-M).

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #11

Looks like they're available here:

Cell Phone Booster for Vehicles, RVs, Trucks

Bruce
Old 09-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
Just found this:
Starting in early February 2015, Wilson Electronics has rebranded as weBoost. weBoost is starting to create new products under the brand (such as the 4G-X), and have repackaged some of the tried & true Wilson Electronics products (such as the 4G-S and 4G-M).
Yep, apparently they are one and the same.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yep, apparently they are one and the same.
Interesting, thank you both. Was not sure about this Weboost company.. But I guess this answered that!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 09-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #14

ependydad
Quote:
The weBoost 4G-RV boosts your whole rig's area. BUT, it comes at a compromise in that the antenna is directional; meaning you have to aim it when you get to your destination. I'm lazy and am all about minimizing my setup/breakdown for travel. And, the bigger downside - it's only available from Camping World (boo) and is backordered (extra boo).
You can purchase directly from Weboost or Amazon and bypass Camping World...

https://www.weboost.com/us/?gclid=Cj...9jQhoCzzPw_wcB

I have been researching this same topic for about a year but have yet to pull the trigger on this...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
ependydad

You can purchase directly from Weboost or Amazon and bypass Camping World...

https://www.weboost.com/us/?gclid=Cj...9jQhoCzzPw_wcB

I have been researching this same topic for about a year but have yet to pull the trigger on this...

Unless it opened up in the latter part of this week, you can't buy the 4G-RV from anywhere but Camping World. For that particular model, the only buy link is for CW.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Unless it opened up in the latter part of this week, you can't buy the 4G-RV from anywhere but Camping World. For that particular model, the only buy link is for CW.
bottom left direct from Weboost BUT looks out of stock there also
https://store.weboost.com/collections/boosters-vehicles

OR

https://store.weboost.com/products/rv-4g

don't see it on Amazon ...

I doubt Camping World has it exclusively...??? but maybe

EDIT:

looks like the link is to Camping World but I would still call Weboost

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

Your link gives a buy clicky... But it says buy from CW.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 09-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #18

I noticed that... Camping World link thing ...
but how about this direct from Weboost?

How does this differ from the 4G-RV kit? besides price?

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/web...kit-470510-rv/

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #19

Quote:
How does this differ from the 4G-RV kit? besides price?
WELL...
I did more digging and answered my own question...

I looked at the PDF document described with the 4G-RV and saw all the individual components that come with it... then compared it with the other link I provided which I see includes the 4G-X amp and accessories...

then re-reading the posts, I see ependydad already owns a 4G-X...
Quote:
I will very likely sell my 4G-X when this finally comes to market and is proven.
so my question to ependydad is...

Do you think this new amp with the 4G-RV kit will give you anything more than maybe just adding an accessory indoor or outdoor antenna won't give you with your current 4G-X amp and setup?

and ... Have you dealt with Wilson directly on your previous amp/device purchases and have you been happy with your purchases?

thanks for your time ependydad , you obviously have been doing this already...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
so my question to ependydad is...

Do you think this new amp with the 4G-RV kit will give you anything more than maybe just adding an accessory indoor or outdoor antenna won't give you with your current 4G-X amp and setup?

and ... Have you dealt with Wilson directly on your previous amp/device purchases and have you been happy with your purchases?

thanks for your time ependydad , you obviously have been doing this already...

I haven't had the setup for long but have been reading about them for a while.

I think there are 2 things about the RV kit that make it "better" than what I have:
1) a directional antenna will always perform better than an omnidirectional antenna BUT at the cost of requiring setup at each stay. You have to decide if that's a hassle or acceptable.

2) it provides a boost to a tremendously bigger area than the Drive 4G-X. For the 4G-X, you have to have your device (phone, hotspot, etc) within 1'-2' of the indoor antenna. The RV-edition boosts inside of the whole rig (and presumably some spillover outside). You can combat the 4G-X limitation with Bluetooth accessories, but again- you have to decide if this is a hassle or acceptable.

The negative to the RV edition is if you have a motorhome and want to use it while underway. It cannot be used while underway and requires that you be stationary.

Personally, I'm still holding out hope that Max Signal's Max Amp comes to market soon and hits the promises that they've made. IMO, it's the best of both worlds- BUT, it has been "coming soon" for what sounds like a year now.