Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Charger Jack 12v Wires Reversed

My 2016 Wildcat has the very nice device charger station built-in at the right side night stand in the bedroom. We have been using the 2 USB jacks to charge our cell phones and they worked perfect.

I decided to buy a 12 volt fan at Walmart to leave on for our pet. Sometimes when the weather is mild, we leave our small dog in the trailer while we go out. I leave the A/C on but always worry about a power failure. Although we never do it if the temps are higher than mid-70s, I felt like having a 12volt fan running was good for a just-in-case failure. So I bought a 12 volt fan from Walmart. One of those that has the auto cigarette lighter power connector.

I plugged it into the trailer's socket and the amount of air blowing was almost none and in fact it kinda felt like the fan was blowing backwards. So I took it back for a refund.

Later, I was messing with my Tire Minder and plugged it into that same socket. It wouldn't come on. I removed the four screws and pulled the power box out of the wall. I then unplugged the two feeds to the 12v socket and plugged them back in reversed. Plugged in the tire minder again and it came on.

Now, I'm headed back to Walmart to buy another one of those fans. So if you have the Forest River power charging station, just because the USB works, you may want to check the 12v cig socket too
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote