Old 06-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
Circulation fan running constantly on power converter?

Hello, Forest River Forum Friends.

I am still very new to this forum and owning a travel trailer (Shasta Airflyte re-issue 16 foot).

We are getting ready to leave for a trip tomorrow and I remember learning that it is good to cool down the refrigerator the night before a trip.

I plugged the camper into an outlet in our garage using the power cord that came with the Shasta, an extension cord, and an attachment that allows it to plug into our home power.

For the first 30 minutes of doing this, the circulation fan on the power converter has been running constantly. Is this a problem?

I have little to no knowledge about electrical systems so I am wondering if it is possible that there is too much power coming into the camper from the house causing the converter to overheat.

As usual, I so appreciate the wisdom you who are more experienced can share with me (a rookie).

Thank you!

chmbhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:55 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
the fan usually runs when recharging a depleted battery.
so if it ran for 30 minutes, it's probably because the battery was low.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
Every camper I've ever owned gets a new Progressive Dynamics charger. Most converters are constant voltage chargers and do not shut off when battery is fully charged. My PD charger very rarely has the fans turn on.

If you can, move your charger within 3 feet of the batteries so they will charge quicker.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
It is normal for the fan to cycle on and off and if are charging or running things it may stay on for some time. Most converters now days regardless of brand to shut down the charging with the battery is up the same way as a good automatic battery charger would.
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2006 F350 6.0
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Thank you all so much for your advice. I will look into some upgrades after this trip.

Happy trails.
chmbhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
You should disconnect the battery between trips, or install a battery disconnect switch, or leave the trailer plugged in on a trickle charger. Parasitic loads such as the carbon monoxide and propane leak detectors will drain the battery otherwise. Deep cycle batteries are not meant to be discharged more than 50%. Leaving it to completely discharge between trips will destroy it.
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #7
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
If you can, move your charger within 3 feet of the batteries so they will charge quicker.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - 6 speed - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote

converter, fan, power