Old 11-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #1

Coax connection NOT working

I wanted to see if anyone knows where the primary coax connection from the outside hits a splitter inside the motorhome? We tried to connect to coax cable over the weekend and when I connected it to the panel port and scanned for channels none were found. When I connected the cable directly into the back of the TV and re scanned everything showed up.

Thanks in advance

With the Winns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by With the Winns View Post
I wanted to see if anyone knows where the primary coax connection from the outside hits a splitter inside the motorhome? We tried to connect to coax cable over the weekend and when I connected it to the panel port and scanned for channels none were found. When I connected the cable directly into the back of the TV and re scanned everything showed up.

Thanks in advance
Do you mean "Coax connection NOT working"?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #3

Yes, it's NOT working.

Thank you for catching that
Old 11-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you for catching that
Fixed

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
D W

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Have you made sure that the OTA amplifier button on the wall plate is in the "OFF" position ?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

I did, and i made sure that the tv scanned for Cable with no luck. Like i mentioned, when I connected it directly into the outside TV i was able to pull over 50 cable stations.

Not sure if there is a cable routing schematic for the rig, or if this is something that the dealer needs to do.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
D W

Quote:
I did, and i made sure that the tv scanned for Cable with no luck. Like i mentioned, when I connected it directly into the outside TV i was able to pull over 50 cable stations.

Not sure if there is a cable routing schematic for the rig, or if this is something that the dealer needs to do.
Unfortunately, cable schematics for these rigs rarely exist. Which type of wall plate do you have?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	219456  
Old 11-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #8
Head Rambler

If you have both cable and sat connectors on the outside of the RV, just connect the park cable to the Sat connector and switch the tv coax to the Sat connector on the inside.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #9

Just to add my two cents,,I found mine behind the radio in my travel trailer and they could also be behind the wall plate that has the amplifier button on it. I did hear a horror story of one being buried in a wall nowhere near any access point. If you know an electrician, there are tools that can trace wires buried in walls and you can trace their path. WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!!
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #10
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If you have both cable and sat connectors on the outside of the RV, just connect the park cable to the Sat connector and switch the tv coax to the Sat connector on the inside.
X2. That is exactly what I was going to suggest if the OP replied back that he had the 7542 wall plate. That is the way mine works.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
I wanted to see if anyone knows where the primary coax connection from the outside hits a splitter inside the motorhome?
I see you have a 2019 but I do not see the model of your motorhome.

Our Georgetown GT5 has a switch box in a cabinet over the TV but you can't see it unless you're over 6' tall. It has a slide switch on it for Antenna/Cable/Satellite.

Do you have such a switch? If you don't know, that's what I'd go hunting for.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Switch Box.PNG
Views:	29
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	219477  
Old 11-21-2019, 09:04 PM   #12

Quote:
I had same problem and found a loose connection behind the outside connection. It was also wired wrong. They swapped cable connections behind the panel. Never did find the splitter. Bama Rambler found the same solution I ended up with. Works like a charm.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #13
Newbie- 21 FBRS

Quote:
We tried to use Cable Tv for the first time today. Used OTA previously. No channels on the cable connection. I swapped as you indicated and all 32 advertised channels were there. Now, WHY does the cable connection not work? Is it just cabled incorrectly?
Coevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coevers View Post
We tried to use Cable Tv for the first time today. Used OTA previously. No channels on the cable connection. I swapped as you indicated and all 32 advertised channels were there. Now, WHY does the cable connection not work? Is it just cabled incorrectly?
Did you turn the OTA booster switch off?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #15
Head Rambler

The 'Cable' input usually runs through a splitter and a lot of times it's hidden in the wall or elsewhere, and a lot of times they're not wired correctly, or they have bad connection(s). It's usually easier to just swap to the 'Sat' connector than to try and chase down the 'Cable' issue.

Also, the Sat coax is a straight run (no splices, etc.) between the outside and inside F-connectors.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #16

Quote:
The 'Cable' input usually runs through a splitter and a lot of times it's hidden in the wall or elsewhere, and a lot of times they're not wired correctly, or they have bad connection(s). It's usually easier to just swap to the 'Sat' connector than to try and chase down the 'Cable' issue.

Also, the Sat coax is a straight run (no splices, etc.) between the outside and inside F-connectors.
Yes but that splitter is typically the booster on/off plate (Winegard panel) where one of the plate outputs is for the main tv and one output is for a second tv and that output could go to a splitter for more than one other tv. This arrangement is why the booster must be selected off for cable viewing.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #17
Newbie- 21 FBRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Did you turn the OTA booster switch off?
I did- I had seen your comment also on this thread. I scanned cable both on/off and scanned AIR. As well. Only one channel where we are camping.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #18
Newbie- 21 FBRS

Quote:

I must have an incorrectly wired connection. I got no signal at all on the cable connection, but worked fine on SAT. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coevers View Post
I must have an incorrectly wired connection. I got no signal at all on the cable connection, but worked fine on SAT. Thanks!
Not uncommon and there have been many reports here of such.

You can start by removing the wall plate and looking at the connections. Also, often times there are splitters shoved back in the hole where the wall plate attaches.

You could have a bad connection, a bad cable, a staple/screw/nail through a cable, etc.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote