Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #1

Coax on roof for satellite antenna?

Vehicle: 2015 Georgetown 270

Satellite: DISH Tailgater and 211z receiver

Current setup:
  • Tailgater connected directly to receiver
  • Receiver output using RCA plugs (red, white, yellow) to RF modulator
  • RF modulator output to RV selector box (aux/sat IN)

This works! DISH programming is going to both TVs.

I read that some units have a white receptacle on the roof that houses coax in the event one wants to install a roof-mounted satellite antenna. I got on the roof, spotted a white receptacle over the cockpit, popped off the lid, and sure enough...there was coax coiled up in there. There was also a conductor line...like for a landline telephone......taped to the coax. Don't know what that's for???

Am I right in assuming that coax is for my satellite antenna? Also, does the conductor line serve any purpose as far as satellite goes?

The coax on the roof needs a female end attached to it (it is currently bare), or I would have tried it out while I was figuring out the other setup.

I want to be able to connect the satellite antenna to the aux/sat line from the outside of my coach. If I use the park cable connection, then I will have to do the diplexer route; and I'm trying to avoid all of that.

I'm also trying to avoid having to run the coax from the satellite antenna directly to the receiver.

Thank you.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #2

No luck today connecting the satellite antenna to the rooftop coax. I don't know if it is something I did/didn't do, or if there is some other problem with that line.

Frustrating.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #3

Interested

Hope you get a response can you give me a better idea on where or what to look for that may be on our roof. I want. To install a roof antenna unit an if there is a jack or cable up there I'd turn a cartwheel. Salem Lite new
Rickhise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickhise View Post
Hope you get a response can you give me a better idea on where or what to look for that may be on our roof. I want. To install a roof antenna unit an if there is a jack or cable up there I'd turn a cartwheel. Salem Lite new
I hope I get a response too!

The receptacle on my roof is over the area where the antenna booster and TV selector box are. It is round and white and looks like a PVC vent pipe....about 6 inches tall. There is a little rubber plug that can be removed from the cap so you can loosen a screw, then the cap can be pulled off.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #5

Oh well... I tried every possible connection option I read about and/or thought of and finally just gave in to running the coax myself.

I attached the coax to the back of the DISH receiver and ran it behind the overhead cabinets, down the passenger side windshield pillar (under the plastic trim piece), and then down to the floor (right by the front passenger's feet).

From there, I ran it along the floor/wall about 2 feet and out a hole in the floor right at the front passenger seat. The hole was already there to allow some electrical wires into the coach.

The coax goes under the coach, behind the steps, and through the wall of the storage compartment to the left of the door. I installed a wall plate connection inside the storage compartment.

I secured the coax with zip ties where I could and protected it at friction points with flexible protective wire tubing.

The receiver and RF modulator are stored in the middle overhead cabinet. I ran the power cords to the cabinet above the driver's seat and the coax cables to the cabinet above the passenger's seat, which is also where the TV/cable/sat selector box is.

This allows me to use the one receiver but still get the DISH programming on both TVs....plus everything is neatly stored in the overhead cabinets.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

Some small diameter "wire loom" from about any auto parts store will make coax exposed to sunlight and weather last a good deal longer.

While you are up there...

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_D View Post
No luck today connecting the satellite antenna to the rooftop coax. I don't know if it is something I did/didn't do, or if there is some other problem with that line.

Frustrating.
You didn't say what the receiver was connected to in your overhead. The SAT prewire is what you found on the roof but typically the other end is stowed inside the unit. Did you connect the other end to your receiver? Also the other wires are typically power feeds for those sat antennas that require power also (unlike the tailgater antenna).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You didn't say what the receiver was connected to in your overhead. The SAT prewire is what you found on the roof but typically the other end is stowed inside the unit. Did you connect the other end to your receiver? Also the other wires are typically power feeds for those sat antennas that require power also (unlike the tailgater antenna).
I never found the other end of the coax from the roof; it was white coax and everything inside was black.....except one gray piece connected to the antenna booster. I assumed it must be coupled with a black piece somewhere in a place I could not see.

That being said, I did try many different connections....especially assuming the sat INPUT line was what was connected to the roof. But nothing I tried worked. And, yes, these attempts were attempts made to my receiver.

My setup inside definitely worked because I was able to get my programming when I ran the connection from the DISH antenna through the door and directly to the receiver. Once I established that, I looked at the ways I could possibly connect the antenna using exterior connections.

In the end, I did what I figured would be the best route anyway.....just had to drag it out and learn some lessons along the way. Oh well...

I have a direct connection to my receiver (with everything neatly stored/hidden). I have programming on both TVs, and the pictures look great. The park cable hookup was not interfered with, so I know it will work as it always has.

And we move on...
Old 05-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #9

Well, sorry it didn't work out as originally planned. My rooftop coax is still white at the other end and was stowed deep within the bowels of my overhead and that may be your issue also. Anyway you have it working as you want and that's the main thing. Good day.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Well, sorry it didn't work out as originally planned. My rooftop coax is still white at the other end and was stowed deep within the bowels of my overhead and that may be your issue also. Anyway you have it working as you want and that's the main thing. Good day.
Yeah... I figured if I popped out the back of one of the overheads I'd find it; but since the panel didn't move easily, I didn't want to bust it out and create more work for myself later in putting it all back together.

As you said, it's working now!

Thanks anyway.

Tags
antenna, roo, roof, satellite