Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Coincidental or electrical gremlins?

Ok, so I've been wondering if I've just had aome bad luck, or a bigger problem. The RV in question is a Flagstaff 831BHDS - 2014 vintage.

Last trip, after sitting for the winter out CD/DVD player wouldn't respond to anything. Thought it had just died a premature, but natural death.

Then, brought the unit home yesterday and the main TV and the microwave are both DOA. The recepticals have power, and other things plugged in seem to work fine. No blown fuses or breakers.

I found both of these issues when plugging in the unit at home (have a 50 amp outlet in the garage. The TT has been plugged in there on and off for a couple of years with no issues.

Any advice for trouble shooting, or just a nasty string of coincidence? Obviously been thinking a lot about an in line power management system / surge protector.

Thought?

Thanks!
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, sounds like my luck. Hard to believe that all those things would go bad at the same time without some kind of power surge or something.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #3

Hit the send button by mistake! Oops! Anyway, when you say the receptacles have power, are you talking about the ones for the microwave and the TV or others you have checked? I guess your DVD player is a all-in-one unit with the radio, and if so does the radio unit power up at all? Just fishing for something out of the ordinary like a GIF receptacle tripped and taking out your power to certain things.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #4

Check you GFI outlet in the bathroom. Don't know why the tv would be on it but this is an RV. Kitchen counter outlets working? Do you have an outside GFI outlet? Is the Micro and TV in a shared side.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #5

Thanks for replying.

I was referring to the recepticals that the TV and microwave plug into have power.

On the IRV dvd / CD - it is completely dead.

I'm thinking of getting an inline RV surge protector , not sure if that's the problem though.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Check you GFI outlet in the bathroom. Don't know why the tv would be on it but this is an RV. Kitchen counter outlets working? Do you have an outside GFI outlet? Is the Micro and TV in a shared side.
The plug recpitcals have power, confirmed with a circuit checker. The TV and microwave won't work, even when plugged 8n elsewhere.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #7

You stated that you "brought the unit home yesterday" which I would interpret to mean that the unit was in storage. When in storage is the unit plugged in to some type of power outlet that could possibly have had a power surge? Over the years I have had two (2) household microwaves seemingly die on me. With each one I had to remove the outer housing and found a fuse that had blown for no reason that I knew of. Replaced the fuse(s) and all was well. I don't know if the TV may also have an internal fuse. An inline surge protector, or better yet an EMS, would give you protection.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #8

You said that you checked the outlets with a "circuit tester". Is that one of those pen type units that you stick in an outlet and it light/beeps? If it is you might go back and check with an actual voltage meter. Sometime those circuit testers will pick up an induced or "ghost" voltage even when those outlets are turned off, and show that it is hot. Just saying.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #9

A nearby lightning strike could have taken them out. It is strange how sometimes it gets one or two devices or all of them. The breaker at house or RV wouldn't have tripped, electronics are sensitive to voltage spikes as well as high amps. Breakers kick out on high amperage. Momentary high voltage zap or static can fry electronic boards of TV, Reefers, AC, Radio's.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #10

As stated above, Microwaves and TV's have fuses inside the case.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #11

Yes... part of any troubleshooting would include checking any blown resistors or fusible links. Static or other electrical discharge can fry anything going in.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies. I will try to anwer the questions.

Yes, the unit was in storage between trips. No power at storagelocation and I turn off the battery disconnect.

Also, yes, just used a very simple circuit checker. Will try to pick up a voltage meter to check it in more depth.

Don't think it was lightning, as it was identified within 10 minutes of hooking it up, and the weather was fine. Someone poster about shutting the breaker off when plugging in, and that may be it as it plugged in, but fell out a bit and was then fully inserted - this may have caused the issue.

Regarding opening the outer case to find the fuses, I have pretty remedial electric experience - is this relatively easy to do / identify?

Rlh1957 - are you talking about checking the TV & microwave? I checked the fuses and breakers in the TT and all is fine?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:01 PM   #13
Site Team

You could have an open neutral. You could have possibly had a momentary open neutral, depending on how you stated the cord came loose as you was plugging in.

An open neutral can apply more than 120 volts to half your 50 amp RV.

You do need to check the actual voltages at the shore outlet you are plugging into.

Also can you look at your electrical distribution panel inside your RV and see if the the television and microwave are on the same leg/line (L1 or L2).

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will try to anwer the questions.

Yes, the unit was in storage between trips. No power at storagelocation and I turn off the battery disconnect.

Also, yes, just used a very simple circuit checker. Will try to pick up a voltage meter to check it in more depth.

Don't think it was lightning, as it was identified within 10 minutes of hooking it up, and the weather was fine. Someone poster about shutting the breaker off when plugging in, and that may be it as it plugged in, but fell out a bit and was then fully inserted - this may have caused the issue.

Regarding opening the outer case to find the fuses, I have pretty remedial electric experience - is this relatively easy to do / identify?

Rlh1957 - are you talking about checking the TV & microwave? I checked the fuses and breakers in the TT and all is fine?

Rlh1957 is asking if you checked the fuses in the TV and microwave.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #15

On TV's and Microwaves some have a fuse inside... you aren't aware of it because it means another sale for someone or at least a service call all for a fuse that is less than a dollar. When the TV or Microwave covers are opened the fuses are usually easy to see... many have a little glass tube fuse like cars had back in the day. Opening is a pain but beats expensive service fees, labor charges or replacing a potentially good unit.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:43 PM   #16

https://fredsappliance.com/service/c...icrowave-fuse/
This may help,
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #17

Ummmm any chance the 50 amp in the garage is a 220V not a 110?
RJKerr83301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
You could have an open neutral. You could have possibly had a momentary open neutral, depending on how you stated the cord came loose as you was plugging in.

An open neutral can apply more than 120 volts to half your 50 amp RV.

You do need to check the actual voltages at the shore outlet you are plugging into.

Also can you look at your electrical distribution panel inside your RV and see if the the television and microwave are on the same leg/line (L1 or L2).
Wmtire is right that is why you should never hot plug your RV to shore power. When plugging in your RV ensure the main breaker at the pedestal and the main breaker in your RV electrical panel are off. After plugging into the peristal turn on the pedestal then turn on your RV.

If your garage outlet does not have a convenient breaker just ensure your RV main breaker is off before plugging in.

The same applies to unplugging. Make sure main breaker is off before unplugging.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:57 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Wmtire is right that is why you should never hot plug your RV to shore power. When plugging in your RV ensure the main breaker at the pedestal and the main breaker in your RV electrical panel are off. After plugging into the peristal turn on the pedestal then turn on your RV.

If your garage outlet does not have a convenient breaker just ensure your RV main breaker is off before plugging in.

The same applies to unplugging. Make sure main breaker is off before unplugging.
X2

More links on open neutrals in 50 amp RV's:

Open Neutral

http://www.henrylahore.com/rv/rv%20s...rotection.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:02 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJKerr83301 View Post
Ummmm any chance the 50 amp in the garage is a 220V not a 110?

A 50 amp RV outlet is a 120/240 volt split phase service.

This link may help explain the difference between a RV 120 volt 30 amp service and a 120/240 volt 50 amp split phase service:

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter3.php

and this one:

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/50amp_Service.htm

Tags
electric, electrical