Old 05-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Coincidental or electrical gremlins?

Ok, so I've been wondering if I've just had aome bad luck, or a bigger problem. The RV in question is a Flagstaff 831BHDS - 2014 vintage.

Last trip, after sitting for the winter out CD/DVD player wouldn't respond to anything. Thought it had just died a premature, but natural death.

Then, brought the unit home yesterday and the main TV and the microwave are both DOA. The recepticals have power, and other things plugged in seem to work fine. No blown fuses or breakers.

I found both of these issues when plugging in the unit at home (have a 50 amp outlet in the garage. The TT has been plugged in there on and off for a couple of years with no issues.

Any advice for trouble shooting, or just a nasty string of coincidence? Obviously been thinking a lot about an in line power management system / surge protector.

Thought?

Thanks!

Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, sounds like my luck. Hard to believe that all those things would go bad at the same time without some kind of power surge or something.

tonyz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #3

Hit the send button by mistake! Oops! Anyway, when you say the receptacles have power, are you talking about the ones for the microwave and the TV or others you have checked? I guess your DVD player is a all-in-one unit with the radio, and if so does the radio unit power up at all? Just fishing for something out of the ordinary like a GIF receptacle tripped and taking out your power to certain things.
tonyz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #4

Check you GFI outlet in the bathroom. Don't know why the tv would be on it but this is an RV. Kitchen counter outlets working? Do you have an outside GFI outlet? Is the Micro and TV in a shared side.
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #5

Thanks for replying.

I was referring to the recepticals that the TV and microwave plug into have power.

On the IRV dvd / CD - it is completely dead.

I'm thinking of getting an inline RV surge protector , not sure if that's the problem though.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Check you GFI outlet in the bathroom. Don't know why the tv would be on it but this is an RV. Kitchen counter outlets working? Do you have an outside GFI outlet? Is the Micro and TV in a shared side.
The plug recpitcals have power, confirmed with a circuit checker. The TV and microwave won't work, even when plugged 8n elsewhere.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #7

You stated that you "brought the unit home yesterday" which I would interpret to mean that the unit was in storage. When in storage is the unit plugged in to some type of power outlet that could possibly have had a power surge? Over the years I have had two (2) household microwaves seemingly die on me. With each one I had to remove the outer housing and found a fuse that had blown for no reason that I knew of. Replaced the fuse(s) and all was well. I don't know if the TV may also have an internal fuse. An inline surge protector, or better yet an EMS, would give you protection.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #8

You said that you checked the outlets with a "circuit tester". Is that one of those pen type units that you stick in an outlet and it light/beeps? If it is you might go back and check with an actual voltage meter. Sometime those circuit testers will pick up an induced or "ghost" voltage even when those outlets are turned off, and show that it is hot. Just saying.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #9

A nearby lightning strike could have taken them out. It is strange how sometimes it gets one or two devices or all of them. The breaker at house or RV wouldn't have tripped, electronics are sensitive to voltage spikes as well as high amps. Breakers kick out on high amperage. Momentary high voltage zap or static can fry electronic boards of TV, Reefers, AC, Radio's.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #10

As stated above, Microwaves and TV's have fuses inside the case.

MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical