Old 12-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #1

Concertone and digital converters

All

I recently acquired a new to me 2007 Cherokee WolfPack 27 DFWP. It was originally purchased in April of 2007 so therefore it does not have a digital TV tuner. Best I can tell it has the ZX500 Concertone and TV.

Knowing that the digital TV conversion is coming in Feb of 2009, I ordered my two coupons from the government. I have satelite at the house but wanted at least one converter box for the house in case the satelite goes out in bad weather. And I knew I could use the other one in the camper.

I originally bought the Zenith digital converter unit at Radio Shack (Zenith DTT901 http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...converter&sr=1 ) - I had been looking for the RCA unit as it got good reviews but couldn't find it anywhere. I hooked it up the Zenith unit at the house and got the feel for it and how to set it up. Took it out to the camper and hooked it up. I used the RCA jacks to the wall plate in our camper and plugged the antenna lead into the winegard antenna plate. Everything works like a charm. Set the Concertone on INPUT 1 and I was able to watch digital channels in the camper. I was able to get 35 channels and I live 40 miles outside of Dallas. I like the signal meter that is accessed though a button on the remote and if you hit the info key, it gives you a program guide - what's playing and what's next. Kinda cool. The remote can be programed to run the TV but since the Concertone is not on the list, it won't do anything to the TV or CONCERTONE system. The volume keys do work even though it isn't programmed to the TV - but it will raise and lower the volume signal through the box and the mute key will work as well.

Tonight I found the RCA converter box at Target (RCA DTA809 similar to this one http://dtvconverterboxes.blogspot.co...igital-tv.html ). So I got one of those to compare. Wow, compared to the Zenith, the RCA feels cheap. The Zenith has a metal case and feels solid. The RCA has a plastic case and feels - well cheap. The Zenith unit came with the remote, coax cable and RCA cables. The RCA unit came with a remote and coax - no RCA cables. Performance is not as good either - I was only able to get 29 channels with the RCA unit. The RCA unit can sit horizontal as well as vertical - one side rotates to provide a base - this is a nice little feature I wish the Zenith unit had. The RCA is also not as easy to operate - the remote doesn't have as many functions. For example, you have to go into the main menu and then the sub menu to get to the signal meter and the program guide. The Zenith unit has a signal button as well as an info button that gives you the program guide. The RCA remote is programable but the Concertone TV or system is not on the list. Without a code, I can't control anything but the RCA unit with the RCA remote - not even the volume like the Zenith unit.

So for my money, the Zenith wins hands down - more solidily made, better performance, better remote and more inituitive to use. The Zenith will stay in the camper and the RCA will go on the non-digital TV in the game room in case of emergencies. The kicker is that the Zenith unit was cheaper - it cost me $16 after the coupon and the RCA was $19.

Hope this helps you guys out in some way. Let me know if you have any questions.

Stacy

Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Great review thanks for taking the time to post it!!
(model numbers would be helpful if you've got a minute.....)

Old 12-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #3

Model numbers and links provided. Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #4

How do I install on the zx500?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #5

Here's how I wired Converter to Concertone

I have bought new a 2007 Flagstaff 30' TT. It has the Concertone "entertainment" system corner unit.
ZX500 with LCD TV. It also has a Wingard antenna booster with a separate Satellite jack, and separate RCA input 1 and input 2 wall jack for video games that my son uses all the time! (coax plug-in type, red, white, yellow). Last is a satellite radio, I donít use it
1st, off my two cents: This took quite awhile to figure out due to the mess of wires that spew out the back of this system. Iíve never seen such an unprofessional wiring job. Iíve been in the electronic/electrical field since 1980. Near all of it in the Industrial automation sector so, Iíve seen some things out there. This wouldnít come close to meeting any NEC codes. Thereís no wire supports, everything is just hanging. And as with the most of you, my first ZX500 died the very first trip we went on. I called my dealer and we worked out a deal where he sent me a new one and I wired it up and reworked the spaghetti factory. Iíve seen others refer to it as a ConcertCrapÖ.I sadly have to agree. When this one fails, notice I said when not if, I will replace it with a Jensen, see Web site: http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/index....t_details&id=9
Ok, now the meat & potatoes:
My best guess is the roof antenna coax cable (Mine is orange) plugs into the Wingard booster. Out of the booster, there are two coax cables one (mine is grey) goes to a splitter and the other (mine is black) back out through the wall that I assume goes to the bedroomÖ..Iíll have to verify but Iím pretty sure it does.
I disconnected the grey coax from the booster and connected it to my Digital converter OUT. I then took the coax that came with my converter and connected it to the booster (where the grey was connecter) and the other end to my converter in. The converter is set to channel 3
Next, I switched the ZX500 to TV channel 3 and the LCD TV to AV ( this was done by pushing the AUTO button until AV appeared on the top right of the screen. I then pushed the button on the Wingard booster, if you donít you might not get any channel signals to pick up. Last, was to turn on the converter and press the menu button on the remote and Tada! There it was. Now, I need to make some modifications to make it look good. Iíll probably add another outlet that I can turn off/on.
By connecting the converter before the splitter, I was able to get signals to everything, including the surround sound speakers. Splitters do weaken in coming signals but it still looks pretty good. But hey, weíre all out to camp, relax, and enjoy meeting fellow campers, not sit in the camper and watch TV, we can do that at home.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
Computer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwade1060 View Post
I have bought new a 2007 Flagstaff 30' TT. It has the Concertone "entertainment" system corner unit.
ZX500 with LCD TV. It also has a Wingard antenna booster with a separate Satellite jack, and separate RCA input 1 and input 2 wall jack for video games that my son uses all the time! (coax plug-in type, red, white, yellow). Last is a satellite radio, I donít use it
1st, off my two cents: This took quite awhile to figure out due to the mess of wires that spew out the back of this system. Iíve never seen such an unprofessional wiring job. Iíve been in the electronic/electrical field since 1980. Near all of it in the Industrial automation sector so, Iíve seen some things out there. This wouldnít come close to meeting any NEC codes. Thereís no wire supports, everything is just hanging. And as with the most of you, my first ZX500 died the very first trip we went on. I called my dealer and we worked out a deal where he sent me a new one and I wired it up and reworked the spaghetti factory. Iíve seen others refer to it as a ConcertCrapÖ.I sadly have to agree. When this one fails, notice I said when not if, I will replace it with a Jensen, see Web site: http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/index....t_details&id=9
Ok, now the meat & potatoes:
My best guess is the roof antenna coax cable (Mine is orange) plugs into the Wingard booster. Out of the booster, there are two coax cables one (mine is grey) goes to a splitter and the other (mine is black) back out through the wall that I assume goes to the bedroomÖ..Iíll have to verify but Iím pretty sure it does.
I disconnected the grey coax from the booster and connected it to my Digital converter OUT. I then took the coax that came with my converter and connected it to the booster (where the grey was connecter) and the other end to my converter in. The converter is set to channel 3
Next, I switched the ZX500 to TV channel 3 and the LCD TV to AV ( this was done by pushing the AUTO button until AV appeared on the top right of the screen. I then pushed the button on the Wingard booster, if you donít you might not get any channel signals to pick up. Last, was to turn on the converter and press the menu button on the remote and Tada! There it was. Now, I need to make some modifications to make it look good. Iíll probably add another outlet that I can turn off/on.
By connecting the converter before the splitter, I was able to get signals to everything, including the surround sound speakers. Splitters do weaken in coming signals but it still looks pretty good. But hey, weíre all out to camp, relax, and enjoy meeting fellow campers, not sit in the camper and watch TV, we can do that at home.

Wow, Hey good find on the Jensen. I may just have to upgrade soon.

2006 Rockwood 8314SS Ultralight Trailer

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel

1996 Chevy Tahoe 2 Door Lifted 4 Inches. 5.7 V8

Thousand Trails Member www.1000trails.com

Out of Elk Grove California, near Sacramento.
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #7

Concertone ZX500 elcrapo

We are the new owners of a 2007 Rockwood 8315SS (Sept /09) nice trailer. But the Concertone is giving me a headache. First off no sound in the kitchen area (A) button. Just a loud shuushhing static noise. After playing around for a while, i finally gave up & removed the speaker near the sink & disconnected the speaker wire. So no sound from either speaker from Kitchen (A) area. Thats Ok , at least its peacefull. The radio function for (C) & (B) work Ok as well as a Cd disc. Next thing not working is the Tv. No power at all. I press "FUNCTION" till the words "TV" are on,,,then it shows "Air Channel" but no power to the tv itself. i tried with the remote that was left from the previous owner. (looks like a dog chewed it) i bought new batteries. Still naada. I tried manually to turn the monitor on by pressing the monitor button on the front. Still naada. Well now i thought hmmm maybe no power going to the monitor itself. Checked all the wiring that i could see using a small hand mirror to see behind the monitor. Everything looks Ok to me..Hmmm Dunno. Still frustrated , i carefully removed the plate cover from the ZX500 & removed 4 screws that hold the unit to the wall. Slid out the unit to look inside hoping to find a loose wire. OMG what a mess of wires. a real night mare. i think i said a few curse words here. Just closed up the unit & said #$#$^&&+@@*. I am trying to get some help from Concertone Support, but no respose yet. Maybe i should just yank everything out & put in my own tv, dvd player & stereo unit. Less headache & i know it will work. from what i've read in other threads about Concertone it's garbage. The only question i have to all you nice people is have you got any positive feed back from Concertone? Are they helpful? Sign me "Not A Happy Camper Yet"
Old 09-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #8

A question-I have a digital TV

Can I run the audio from the TV to the imput jack for the concertone?

Why does concertone have the tuner in it? The TV already does all the tuning you need, right?