Old 07-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Concertone & iPod use

I have a Concertone CD/Mp3/Radio/WX system (unsure of model) in the new trailer. Manual said something about hooking iPods to rear of radio. Only jack I can find is a wire with a female end on it...and the iPod (Monster Cable) I have fits the jack...but nothing plays.
Is this the correct wire/jack on the rear of the Concertone?
Anyone hook up an Mp3 player to one?

It's the one built in to the counter in the pic below:

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
A couple of thoughts. The problem may be that you have to set the input source on the "radio." Take a look at the Concertone Manual under Helpful Files on the FRF home page if you don't have yours handy. I have what look like the same setup but in a different location. There are several input jacks on the wall inside a cabinet. Maybe one of those might work, if you have them. I think they are used for hooking up external DVD/Tape/whatrver components.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
The Jolly Mon

My unit is different. It has no TV tuner, sat, or DVD. That manual does show the same connection I was using...but no description of what it was. It's the all black cable nearest the #1 on the diagram at the rear of the manual.

Also...I changed the input as well.

I may have to dig around in all them wires a bit more...

Old 07-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
RAC

see below....screwed up this post
Old 07-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
RAC

Jolly, it looks like same model on trailer we just got. Mine has 6 additional RCA jacks next to the system. Other option might be to use the satelite radio connection if you don't use it. forgot something ......you may need to push one of the aux buttons to hear it using your current config.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird

OK. I looked at the diagram and understand that connection does not work. For all I know, the jack(s) you are using could be outputs instead of inputs. I don't have a clue. Also, I only have the manual on FRF to refer to and, from what you write, your Concertone is different.

Never having owned and iPod, and without being able to see your iPod manual or the back of your Concertone, my assumptions are:

1) That your Concertone is fully functional and that you are able to set it to AUX input.

2) You have a stereo output on your iPod. This might be either a headphone jack or a dedicated AV output. (Different model iPods may have different output sources.)

3) That there is an AUX Input connection on the back of your Concertone. See diagram #6 for illustration of two female RCA jacks at that location. (In some Concertones the RCA jack may be built into the back of the chassis instead of hanging loose on wires, as illustrated. Those might be difficult to see if you have not pulled the Concertone out of the cabinet. Also, they could be in a different location or not exist at all.)

If the above assumptions are correct, take your iPod and headphones to Radio Shack. I will use the headphone output to illustrate what I think you need to buy. Basically it will be a cable with a connector on one end that matches the connector on your earphones. This will probably be a male mini stereo plug but, in any event, the person at Radio Shack should be able to identify it. On the other end of the cable there should be two male RCA plugs. See http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...0to%20rca&sr=1
The rest of the hookup is obvious.

If you use an iPod docking station, such literature as I have been able to find suggests that it has and AV output built in. In this case the connection should be from the docking station to the Concertone. So, if you use a docking station, also take it along when you go to Radio Shack.

Bottom line - Radio Shack sells iPods. Radio Shack sells component connection cables. All you should have to tell them is what kind of input connectors are on the Concertone.

Good luck and I hope this helps! I know it's frustrating but hang in there.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
The Jolly Mon

On my Nissan Titan...there is a dashboard input for that headphone type connector. I simply plug one end of the Moster Cable into the iPod...the other into the dashboard and hit the AUX button. I figured it would be the same with the CONCERTONE radio. I have looked at the back...but not close enough I guess. With all the wiring on the back...I may have missed something. I'll look closer this weekend and report back. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
The Jolly Mon

Oh yea...I just realized I posted this under MOTORHOME!

Sorry! Feel free to move it MODS!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #9
AKA Bluebird

You're welcome and, again, good luck. It could be as simple as having the wrong connector cable and plugging it in to the wrong jacks on the Concertone. I hope that is all there is to it. (Never knowing when to leave well enough alone, I wonder if that jack you have been plugging into on the Concertone is a mini stereo output jack for headphones? I'm curious, but don't blow anything up finding out.)